UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

I see Keir Starmer has broken another one of his election pledges. This time it's NHS Privatization. Apparently, it's all up for grabs now!

He said that breaking this particular promise will help Labour win an election. 

Keir Starmer scraps pledge to end NHS private sector outsourcing

Here he is, looking shifty af, talking to Andrew Marr about breaking promises.

He says the membership are fully behind him. Well, I am attending a CLP meeting tonight. So we'll see about that.

Couple of interesting pieces came up on Twitter this morning around the same subject.

First an article from the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/029a1022-d4b7-4ee2-802b-7ba3d5d14db6?shareType=nongift

Is Britain tiring of the culture wars?

Brexit was supposed to have left the country bitterly divided. But Henry Mance finds identity battles losing their grip on the national conversation

Chimed well with this:

The conversation taking place in Parliament right now among Tory MPs isn't resonating with voters and that suggests the Conservatives are in real trouble. They don't have any convincing answers to the things voters are actually worried about, and the 'anti-woke', culture wars focus they're obsessing over (or trying to deploy as a distraction, pick your preference) is not gaining traction and may be actively turning their own voters off.

Sunak in particular is seen as out of touch despite being the leading candidate in the Parliamentary party. Again, not a good sign of MPs actually being in sync with their constituents. The appeal of Mordaunt lies in the fact that she's relatively unknown. But voters aren't necessarily going to like the answers they get if she wins, because so far she's actually not substantially different in policy terms from Sunak.

The Tory party is in real trouble IMO and will crash badly at the next election, whenever that is.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

An aside to the main show, but I notice that the media got bored of having their arses kicked by Mick Lynch, so they got another union chap on instead... and he's showing them up too. 

Ooooh, he's very good.

10 minutes ago, mormont said:

The Tory party is in real trouble IMO and will crash badly at the next election, whenever that is.

This tweet from the thread you posted sums it up perfectly. They've been operating in this parallel world ever since Partygate. They completely underestimated the level of feeling about this. I saw it on the doorstep leading up to the locals. People were fucking livid.

It's hardly surprising. Culture war debates are a 'luxury belief', and will have far less cut through when there are a bunch of other issues that people are worried about, like the economy. That applies to all parties, the Tories have been waving the culture flag around recently but parties on the left have been making the mistake for years, it's just that its tended to have been ignored or there has been little to no pushback. 

As for the contenders, there does seem to be a lot of animosity towards Sunak that I find surprising, but where he is really going to struggle is that he is just too rich. It will be a thorn in his side every time he makes an unpopular economic decision, a weapon to beat him with, and I don't think that is sustainable coming off of Boris' almost constant beating with sticks. 

Truss is just a moron so I hope she loses out quite quickly.

Mordaunt so far is the one that looks and acts the most prime ministerial, some worrying things said about her by David Frost but then it was clearly a quite directed attack on her, that might not get a lot of traction. 

The tory party do look in trouble right now, but actually a Sunak or Mordaunt government could look very different and we could see a far more equalising look to the polls. Definitely if crazy bag ladies like Dorries are kicked out.

First ever red extreme heat warning for England on monday/Tuesday.

Even Where I am in Scotland will see mid to high 20’s (got 2 small portabke air con units, but keeping house cool enough for rabbits and child will not be easy).

And what are the tory candidates banging on about? Doing away with net zero. No mention of clinate change. Mordaunt previously received £10k from a clinate denying organisation run by another Mordaunt.

https://news.sky.com/story/red-extreme-heat-warning-issued-for-monday-and-tuesday-12652381

38 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My mum, a Brexit-voting, climate change-denying, shale gas supporting zipperhead, just spent £1200 on four Dyson hot air movers.

Just bought two cheapish models to complement the two I have. 

Oh God. There's a Zoom hustings going on and they asked the 'greatest weakness' question.

For fun, see if you can identify the candidates from their answers (or my summary thereof):

- I'm just too funny.

- I'm a perfectionist.

- I care too much.

- I'm too much of a leader.

- Have I mentioned I was in the army?

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum.

Nope, not going to comment. I just leave the the key words there. You can figure it out yourself.

Energy consumption, carbon emission, virtiuous cycle.

Any comments on how to keep a room with two rabbits otherwise cool, when mid-20’s risks killing them?

- I'm just too funny - Tugendhat?

- I'm a perfectionist. - Truss probably thinks she is

- I care too much. -  Badenoch ?

- I'm too much of a leader. - Rishi?

- Have I mentioned I was in the army? - Mordaunt presumably? I mean, it was the navy and she wasn't really in it but who's counting

Perfectionist was Rishi 'Spud' Sunak.

Army I just assume it was Tugendhat (not Mordaunt).

Next three is difficult.

Too much of a Leader Mordaunt? (could also be the deluded Truss)

I care too much (about shit I have no idea of) Badenoch?

I am too funny Truss? (by elimination, but could also be Mordaunt).

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Any comments on how to keep a room with two rabbits otherwise cool, when mid-20’s risks killing them?

you may not be able to keep the whole room cool, but you could fill up and freeze small bottles with water and let them cuddle them?   give them lots of shade, hang a damp towel over their hutch?  maybe freeze some melon and feed to them as a treat - I've seen clips of Zoo's doing similar in hot weather.

Archived