UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

Yeah, I think this British version of an all buddy comedy featuring Dorries and Hoey is not quite as good as one expects.

I wait for the American movie version featuring Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy. It can't be any worse.

Agreed. The big question is, can Truss get enough of the Tugendhat vote to catch Mordaunt up? She does appear to be at or nearing her ceiling. Didn't pick up any Braverman votes, in fact lost one of her own.

If not, given the bad blood between Mordaunt and Badenoch, Truss will presumably pick up enough Badenoch votes once she goes out (as she surely will) so we're looking at a Truss/Sunak runoff IMO.

Would be quite pleased with a Truss/Sunak deathmatch. What I don't want is for the Tories to end up with a candidate who's been positioned outside Partygate and the general field of corruption and laziness that - even true-blue Conservative voters must have begun to notice by now - is intrinsic to Johnson's Downing Street. 

Offered a Tory leader who's covered in the same old shit, the electorate might show they have a memory slightly longer than a goldfish and vote for someone else. Preferably Starmer, but I could get behind Larry the Cat as the sneaky outsider candidate. It's a pity that Paul the All-seeing Octopus has long departed this vale of tears, because he really had a lot going for him.*

*Next weekend, I'll be leaving a comment on Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Ruin in the Lit forum. Until then, any posts from me will skew heavily towards cephalopods. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Well, they elected a clown and we got a circus for the last 2 years.

Quite the thing. Now that he has claimed its existence, surely he can name names as a final heroic act of his premiership.

I don’t understand the idiots bitching about fear mongering the weather. Quebec is a province with lower usage of a/c because the weather is cooler there. A couple of years ago when 40 degree weather hit 66 people died in Montreal alone. 

And in 2021 the heat wave that hit BC, where they also usually have cooler weather, that also caused massive forest fires, the province had a sharp increase in deaths. More than 800 deaths were investigated from the bad week and eventually 619 were identified as being heat related.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They just don't want to admit and/or accept that they weren't just wrong, but staggeringly wrong. 

It's a very old British tradition, too. Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun, after all.

Archived