UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

I've only really known her since she got her current job, but I'll say one thing for her... She's made an impression. I assume she'll make a similar one hitting the ground.

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

He should have lent PM 10 votes. They should have been able to do the maths between them 

Except the polls also had him losing to her in the head to head IIRC

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

He should have lent PM 10 votes. They should have been able to do the maths between them 

?  Would Sunak have a better chance against Mordaunt (I wouldn't think so)?  Or is it just the Sunak hates Truss and would rather not lose to her? 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wouldn't have done much good: the same poll has Sunak 14 points behind Mordaunt.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/07/19/mordaunt-truss-and-badenoch-now-all-tied

He just isn't very popular with the membership. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Establishment conservatives in both the US and UK have created one hell of a Frankenstein’s Monster.

Unlike you, there is still hope for us.

Around 38% of the electorate voted Conservative in 2019, and they've been behaving as if it were more than double that. But, despite the continuing existence of Sir Keir Starmer, they are very probably going to lose the next election.

At which point, a progressive coalition, led by Starmer, uses their massive parliamentary majority to completely overhaul British democracy. They get rid of FPTP and introduce proportional representation. They then abolish the House of Lords, craft a written constitution, and have it enshrined in British law. If it was down to me, this new constitution would be the first law approved by the new second house, in whatever form that took. Some form of 'jury-service' would be my preference for this, even though it's a far from perfect solution.

Anyway, if this happens, it's unlikely we'll ever see a Tory PM again. And Jacob Rees Mogg and his ilk can all go and fuck themselves.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Unlike you, there is still hope for us.

Around 38% of the electorate voted Conservative in 2019, and they've been behaving as if it were more than double that. But, despite the continuing existence of Sir Keir Starmer, they are very probably going to lose the next election.

At which point, a progressive coalition, led by Starmer, uses their massive parliamentary majority to completely overhaul British democracy. They get rid of FPTP and introduce proportional representation. They then abolish the House of Lords, craft a written constitution, and have it enshrined it in British law. If it was down to me, this new constitution would be the first law approved by the new second house, in whatever form that took. Some form of 'jury-service' would be my preference for this, even though it's a far from perfect solution.

Anyway, if this happens, it's unlikely we'll ever see a Tory PM again. And Jacob Rees Mogg and his ilk can all go and fuck themselves.

I really, REALLY want some of what you're smoking

I have to admit I haven't been reading this thread very much and just got a notion to look at it now out of only mild curiosity to see who might be the next Prime Minister.

And then I find that according to knowledgeable posters the UK's next prime minister is likely to be someone with the surname Truss. Have any of the tabloids in Britain commented on this? I of course think it would be supremely stupid to vote for or against someone, or judge their politics, on the basis of their surname. But to have someone whose surname as a word means "surgical appliance to support a rupture, etc." seems like an amazingly coincidental "good fit" after Boris Johnson's nonsense. I know many dictionaries now give the meaning "framework for supporting a roof or bridge"  as the first definition, but according to the Online Etymology dictionary that actually is over a century newer than the surgical meaning, with the engineering meaning dating from the 1650s and the surgical one going back to the 1540s. (The word goes back to an Old French word meaning a parcel or bundle bound with strings, and probably indicates her medieval ancestor was a porter.)   

Just a curious aside -- carry on with your real political discussion. :)          

23 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I really, REALLY want some of what you're smoking

Well, yeah. :lol:

Labour are probably happy winning an election once every thirty years, so yeah, it's never gonna happen.

Blair should have done it.

26 minutes ago, Ormond said:

But to have someone whose surname as a word means "surgical appliance to support a rupture, etc." seems like an amazingly coincidental "good fit" after Boris Johnson's nonsense.

Sadly she is not an example of nominative determinism. If Johnson likes to imagine himself as a reincarnation of Winston Churchill, Truss likes to imagine herself as a reincarnation of Margaret Thatcher. In both cases they fall ludicrously, short. If she wins, expect more of the same empty populism as with Johnson, only with somewhat less charisma.

Glorious new Brexit chapter! Trade Memorandum of Understanding signed with America!

Wait, sorry, with an American state, the economic powerhouse that is North Carolina.

American friends, what great things can we expect from this state?

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-live-updates-another-tory-candidate-facing-elimination-as-truss-responds-to-sunak-barb-12593360?postid=4190284#liveblog-body

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

For the greater good, and presumably the good of the party.

Very droll, BFC! 

I'm sure Rishi S. is scouting out gigs on the after-dinner speaker circuit and honorary-yet-lucrative positions on company boards at this moment. 

Archived