UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Keep trying. One day you'll do it!

(I know they won't. I'm just trying to be positive for the poor sods.)

We created chicken and steak fajitas. You’re welcome.

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ask italians how they feel about deep dish pizza? 

Blame Chicago, not all of us. And if you really want to offend them show them the pizza I endured in South America.

It’s also worth mentioning that your wack food has really allowed our German brothers and sisters to skate.  

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I knew I had seen her face somewhere before.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Keep trying. One day you'll do it!

(I know they won't. I'm just trying to be positive for the poor sods.)

One bowl of American Haggis for you it is. I just assume they replaced the sheep with a pig. Because America.

There are Long Island wineries, some of the Viriginian ones, and certainly New York state wineries -- all producing world class wine.  CA does too -- at least before wildfires and droughts anyway.

I would recommend the wine that Minnesota thinks its producing, anymore than I'd recommend any Italian restaurant in Vicksburg.  Or anything in Vicksburg, whether food or not, for that matter.

But for that matter, the Spanish menu at this Really Great Spanish Restaurant our friends took us in London still was far more English than Spanish, and, well, not good, shall we say.  :lol:  Though the Asian restaurants people have taken us to served very good food.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

We created chicken and steak fajitas. You’re welcome.

That’s not cuisine, that’s wrapping.

The dish the world knows as curry is not only very tasty but has to be the ultimate winner in colonial appropriation, ruthlessly reducing the varied cuisine of half a continent down to a handy little packet of spice blend.

53 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

At least we don't make a cup of Tea using a microwave.

I think where British Cuisine is at its best is in its Puddings and Deserts.  Hell even the French stole our Custard.

British curry is lumps of meat with lumps of...lumps(?) with lumpy sauce in various shades of brown. Every time I go to England I get invited to eat it. :( My host really loves it. So I know all the best curry places in Derby, which is good, right?

27 minutes ago, kiko said:

British curry is lumps of meat with lumps of...lumps(?) with lumpy sauce in various shades of brown. Every time I go to England I get invited to eat it. :( My host really loves it. So I know all the best curry places in Derby, which is good, right?

I don't understand this. I've never had lumpy sauce in a curry. 

3 hours ago, john said:

The dish the world knows as curry is not only very tasty but has to be the ultimate winner in colonial appropriation, ruthlessly reducing the varied cuisine of half a continent down to a handy little packet of spice blend.

Look, I wasn't going to say anything but now that you've brought it up. Firstly, the 'curries' I've had here have been not great the majority of the time, and I lived in Leicester for a year and it was still difficult to find good Indian food. 'The dish the world knows as curry' - isn't one dish, there isn't one 'standard curry', I wouldn't even know what means ( Spoiler alert, no one in South Asia calls it curry)

In addition, it's all just rote North Indian food as opposed to all the stuff we have in South India ( And this is coming from someone that is North Indian!), which is also quite disappointing, the 'handy little packet of spice blend' is missing all the good stuff! ( I'll also add that I'm far from a purist, things can be completely different to how they are traditionally made as long as they taste good, but it doesn't taste good!)

The only way I can get guranteed good Indian food here is to 1. Cook it myself 2. Get invited over to someone's house so they can cook it for me.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't understand this. I've never had lumpy sauce in a curry. 

Yeah that doesn't tie into my experiences with curry at all. 

What I will say is that I've become aware how much there is such a thing as a national taste palette. I've really realised how for instance in Eastern Europe there is a preference for far more sour foods, and I've had complaints about food being too sweet here. Something being too sweet just doesn't compute for me as a Brit. 

So like with curries, I think we all know the versions of curry we get in this country are pretty much designed for British tastes. That might mean they are a bit blander and less interesting than the originals, but also maybe sweeter? I think there is just a set of expectations around food that Brits have when it comes to flavours.

For instance, something like Katsu curry, I think is basically a dish almost designed for brits, which is why its so popular in Wagamama! Its pretty much chicken nuggets in gravy, with some rice on the side. 

Archived