UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

5 hours ago, john said:

That’s not cuisine, that’s wrapping.

This is a borderline declaration of war. There is no greater sound in a restaurant than when you hear the sizzling skillet of fajitas coming your way.

4 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

At least we don't make a cup of Tea using a microwave.

Little known historical fact: We threw your tea into the Boston Harbor because it was trash, not over taxes. Great Americans came up with a better version of it and boy George threw a fit and chose violence. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Look, I wasn't going to say anything but now that you've brought it up.

Your input is definitely appreciated.;)

That’s sort of my point, “curry” as a concept is a British thing, albeit with a lot of development and refinement by immigrants. Traditional Indian cuisine is something different. Madhur Jaffrey (autocorrects to Mad hard Jeffrey wtf) famously refused to use the word curry in her bestselling books for years, until she eventually caved.

2 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I sort of love that the thread has gone from UK politics to "best and worst of British and international cuisine" and as a result has improved vastly in quality.

You're fucking welcome. As I've said numerous times, US and UK politics is grim. Best to find every laugh possible as it all burns to the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is a borderline declaration of war. There is no greater sound in a restaurant than when you hear the sizzling skillet of fajitas coming your way.

All right fine but if you’re getting fajitas, we’re getting sandwiches in all their infinite succulent varieties. No, you’re welcome.

1 minute ago, john said:

Your input is definitely appreciated.;)

That’s sort of my point, “curry” as a concept is a British thing

I don't think it's a new concept at all. It's laziness as people just don't want to call the different food what it is as they have names that are hard to pronounce ( and this extends past food given the propensity to anglicize brown names)

12 minutes ago, john said:

All right fine but if you’re getting fajitas, we’re getting sandwiches in all their infinite succulent varieties. No, you’re welcome.

So fitting. Sandwiches are a byproduct of degeneracy and your lot spread that around the globe. 

13 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Apparently Americans generally don’t have kettles because their power rating is less than ours, and so it would take forever to boil.

Hence boing water on the hob or microwaving tea

Apparently true in general, but in the big cities they do now have a comparable voltage. There's been several mini-crazes of electric kettle sales booming because of some TikToker moving to Chicago or New York and gushing over them.

18 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Apparently Americans generally don’t have kettles

I lived in a small college town in the midwest and we were fortunately able to use a kettle. Had no idea it was a power rating thing.

Having seen clips of Truss as an anti-monarchist Lib-Dem Remainer, and more recently as a dead-eyed Tory Leaver, I can only assume that at some point she fell into the hands of Thatcherite necromancers and Possessed with the spirit of their dark mistress.

Edit: Fuck, that’s the plot for my next book sorted. The Witch-Queen of Finchley.

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

There are Long Island wineries, some of the Viriginian ones, and certainly New York state wineries -- all producing world class wine.  CA does too -- at least before wildfires and droughts anyway.

Grapes usually do like the sun quite a bit, no? Wine might turn out a bit sweeter. 

Anyway.

Since this is about as good a chance as any.

Raja you willing to share a good Biryani receipe? 

16 minutes ago, Raja said:

I don't think it's a new concept at all. It's laziness as people just don't want to call the different food what it is as they have names that are hard to pronounce ( and this extends past food given the propensity to anglicize brown names)

Well yeah, not a new concept. Either 16/17th century British East India Company or 1960s/70s rise of the curry houses, depending on how you look at it. You’re not wrong about laziness being part of it, we want all of the sensation in one homogeneous dish.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So fitting. Sandwiches are a byproduct of degeneracy and your lot spread that around the globe. 

Finally, some appreciation!

English wine is actually very good these days, especially sparkling, having won numerous international awards. Apparently, southern England has the same geology as Champagne, and now has the climate Champagne used to have. Champagne itself is now too warm for great sparkling wine.

31 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Apparently Americans generally don’t have kettles because their power rating is less than ours, and so it would take forever to boil.

Hence boing water on the hob or microwaving tea

We have an electric kettle, it can boil 16 oz of water in five minutes. Is that slow?

15 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Your wine’s likely better than ours (never tasted any UK wine) but it’s still pretty shit. My BiL swears by some Californian piss.

Australian wines on the other hand are excellent, and good value for money. 
(speaking of reds)

Sure, but nobody whines like the British.

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

We have an electric kettle, it can boil 16 oz of water in five minutes. Is that slow?

How much is 16 oz?

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes.

This almost as disillusioning as finding out how much vacation y'all get.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Sure, but nobody whines like the British.

How much is 16 oz?

Roughly half a liter.

24 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

God yes!

In the UK, a lot of people use the kettle to boil water for rice/pasta as its a lot quicker than waiting for the hob to bring cold water to the boil.

Our paid sick days would really disillusion you (I’m public sector, get 6 months full pay, 6 minths halfoay). I had to take today off as daughter got sent home from nursery, boss didnt put it through as anything.

Archived