UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too

polishgenius

Tobias Ellwood is also the Conservative MP who put himself at risk to try to help save a police officer as he lay dying during the 2017 terror attack on Westminster (Ellwood's brother was also killed in a 2002 bombing in Bali). He's been pretty consistent in holding Johnson to account, particularly over defence, where BJ's briefings and knowledge is apparently lamentably poor even by his own standards (despite his constant invoking of Churchill at the drop of a hat and his photo ops in jets and in Ukraine).

A lot of commentators now believing he'll defect to the Liberal Democrats.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

Rounds of applause are cheap.

And annoying.

After a long shift, my wife (nurse) sure as shit didn’t appreciate the neighbours banging pots and honking horns every week as we tried to get our infant daughter to sleep.

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea I find Truss the least personable of the bunch. She has that Corbyn-esque demeanour when she’s being interviewed, like she can’t quite conceal her disdain for the idea that she must answer questions in order to prove herself capable. ‘Prickly’ I believe was the term Mormont used. Starmer doesn’t have more charisma than most people but he has more than Truss. 

Then again, England does bloody love voting Tory for whatever reason.

It does, and it doesn't, I guess.

The Tories did get a substantial plurality over Labour in 2019 in England. But even in England alone, of the parties that won seats, in England, the non-Tory parties beat the Tories by 602K. Even taking into account the spoiler votes for the Brexit party as the largest party not to win any seats, Lab+Lib Dem+Green > Tory+Brexit by 56,600 votes. Total England votes were 26.9 million, of which 12.7 million went to the Tories.

It is definitely accurate to say most of England didn't vote Tory. However among all parties the bloc that would align itself with a Tory minority lead govt under a PR system almost certainly got over the 13.45 million mark to get a majority of the vote. So by a fairly narrow majority England preferred a right wing govt, in the 2019 election at least.

Everyone on night duty came in early to help ferry the fire brigade back and forward to their stations for breaks. No wonder we don't get pay rises if we continue to make sacrifices just after we've been shat on. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everyone on night duty came in early to help ferry the fire brigade back and forward to their stations for breaks. No wonder we don't get pay rises if we continue to make sacrifices just after we've been shat on. 

As someone who works very close to a couple of these fires yesterday, I am grateful for any assistance from all the emergency services yesterday.   I can't give you a pay rise you very much deserve, I will however not vote Tory and I will be writing to my local MP twat again expressing my disdain for the offer you have been given - non of which I expect will have any impact.  

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Tories gave Johnson a standing ovation, and criticised Labour for not.

I wonder if Brutus and his cabal applauded Ceasar as his corpse was carries out the senate?

That's one hell of a way to say farewell. 

Catching up on PMQs, and I swear I could be on my deathbed and Boris would go on about how 'fanatastic' I was doing and everything being alright.

Has he read a paper? Looked around at what's going on?

He is  establishing his narrative for posterity. Mere vulgar facts have nothing to do with it,

And he was cheered because, even now, Tory MP are scared of losing diehard Johnson supporter votes. Or of having him turn on them.

19 minutes ago, A wilding said:

And he was cheered because, even now, Tory MP are scared of losing diehard Johnson supporter votes. Or of having him turn on them.

Establishment conservatives in both the US and UK have created one hell of a Frankenstein’s Monster.

Not a shock.

The last poll of Tory members showed Truss 19 points ahead of Sunak in a head-to-head, so unless he has an incredible campaign, Truss is in. 

Archived