Jump to content

UK Politics: Come See The Clowns, And Their Lapdogs Too


Recommended Posts

Thousands of people are going to die over the next few days and Boris Johnson is skipping COBRA again.

This time for a leaving piss-up in Chequers.

Worst PM ever.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

“Stay safe to avoid heatwave death.” health boss, according to BBC.
Thanks, maybe be a bit more specific? 

Did you try reading more than just the headline?

From the article with precisely that headline...

 

Quote

 

The UKHSA's Prof Oliver said the most vulnerable remain those in older age groups and those with long-term heart and lung conditions - but everybody was affected.

"The key message is that we can absolutely avoid those deaths and we can stay safe if we take simple measures - if we make sure that we take plenty of water, that we keep cool, that we avoid the sun when it's hottest particularly between 11am and 3pm and that we look out for those who are most vulnerable," she said.

People should avoid exercise, drink lots of water and make sure children are protected from the heat to reduce the pressure on nurses, the Royal College of Nursing said.

Most deaths during a heatwave are usually heart attacks or strokes caused by the strain of trying to keep body temperatures stable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Did you try reading more than just the headline?

From the article with precisely that headline...

 

 

Yes but it’s a weird headline. “Advice to stay safe during…” would have been better. But at the moment it almost reads like “Lower risk of death by not dying”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Tugendhat is only the most popular with the public because they have the least idea of who he is, and no idea at all of what his policies are. I couldn't tell you myself, and I've been paying attention. Spend more on defence is the only one I know and that's because he won't shut up about having been in the army. What are his policies on inflation, COVID, the environment? I have no clue and neither do 90% of voters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Isn't Sunak the son-in-law of tech giant and billionaire Narayana Murthy (Infosys)? There was some stuff about his wife (Sunak's) and indian taxes recently but fizzled out.

Would be ironic if Mr Rishi comes to power, that the country which was arguably the worst colonial-imperial gets a PM with ancestry from one of its former colonies in the commonwealth.

PS Did Johnson say anything about preferring that woman whatshername to Sunak since the latter was kinda responsible for his ouster? the news here is shit and the good ones talk in geopolitical jargon that ignorant me cant wrap my head around

Yes. And yes, she avoided paying taxes in the UK thanks a non-resident loophole in the tax code. Supposedly leaked by Bozo to distract from partygate. 

Surely there are kinder way to extract revenge on the UK than inflicting Rishi Rich on them. That'S a bit of an overkill.

Bozo hasn't endorsed anybody just, yet. But basically yes, and for him and his groupies it's anybody but Sunak. From those hopeless hopefuls, the relatively best one would arguably Tom I served in the Army Tugendhat at least he is sorta playing with a full deck. So he doesn't stand a chance. 

The other candidates are to varying degrees awful or insane, or both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Tom Tugendhat is only the most popular with the public because they have the least idea of who he is, and no idea at all of what his policies are. I couldn't tell you myself, and I've been paying attention. Spend more on defence is the only one I know and that's because he won't shut up about having been in the army. What are his policies on inflation, COVID, the environment? I have no clue and neither do 90% of voters.

See, in the states I would assume he is the most popular because he has an amusing name (plus armed services is always a big seller). Frankly, here, he’d already be a senator from Ohio and be thinking about a run for the big house in 2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Tom Tugendhat is only the most popular with the public because they have the least idea of who he is, and no idea at all of what his policies are. I couldn't tell you myself, and I've been paying attention. Spend more on defence is the only one I know and that's because he won't shut up about having been in the army. What are his policies on inflation, COVID, the environment? I have no clue and neither do 90% of voters.

Sounds like Wesley Clark in the 2004 Democratic primary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

See, in the states I would assume he is the most popular because he has an amusing name (plus armed services is always a big seller). Frankly, here, he’d already be a senator from Ohio and be thinking about a run for the big house in 2024.

But as we all know, the big house must stay open, that's the bottom line.

Ask in the football thread for the explanation.

Edit: full story even involved your pet interest of tax and tax avoidance.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

See, in the states I would assume he is the most popular because he has an amusing name (plus armed services is always a big seller). Frankly, here, he’d already be a senator from Ohio and be thinking about a run for the big house in 2024.

Being in the army doesn’t translate into politics in quite the same way as it does in the States. How many presidents are there who were formerly generals? Whereas the last PM to have that rank was the Duke of Wellington 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Being in the army doesn’t translate into politics in quite the same way as it does in the States. How many presidents are there who were formerly generals?

As I was alluding to with the Wesley Clark reference, it doesn't work so well in the US anymore either.  Since Eisenhower, there hasn't been any major general/admiral that's held high elected office.  Colin Powell is probably the only one who could have, and obviously he opted not to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In other news.

Lady Dorries of crazyton. Yes, Bozo intends to put Nutty Naddy into the House of Lords.

The final eff you as he leaves Downing Street to make Nadine Dorries a permanent fixture in the political system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes. And yes, she avoided paying taxes in the UK thanks a non-resident loophole in the tax code. Supposedly leaked by Bozo to distract from partygate

Was it really that big a deal?

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Surely there are kinder way to extract revenge on the UK than inflicting Rishi Rich on them. That'S a bit of an overkill.

If you say so, from what I hear he is a bit like the unpopular monitor telling on the naughty ones to the class teacher, stickler alphas

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bozo hasn't endorsed anybody just, yet. But basically yes, and for him and his groupies it's anybody but Sunak. From those hopeless hopefuls, the relatively best one would arguably Tom I served in the Army Tugendhat at least he is sorta playing with a full deck. So he doesn't stand a chance. 

The ladies were second and third followed by this Tom chap in both counts on the news here anyway but overall this affair is good entertainment, pardon

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The other candidates are to varying degrees awful or insane, or both. 

:agree:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

If you say so, from what I hear he is a bit like the unpopular monitor telling on the naughty ones to the class teacher, stickler alphas

No, more like the class monitor who takes advantage of his privileges to sell drugs, but who seems so charming and polished that no one can quite believe it of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dog-days said:

No, more like the class monitor who takes advantage of his privileges to sell drugs, but who seems so charming and polished that no one can quite believe it of him.

Reminds me of a lot of people here home in India :rofl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zahawi urged to explain source of £26m mystery loans
 

Quote

 

The chancellor Nadhim Zahawi is under pressure to explain the source of £26m of unsecured loans reported by his family property firm in 2018 as he faces questions over his tax affairs.

The millions of pounds of loans helped Zahawi and his wife buy properties across Britain, including commercial and retail premises in London, Birmingham, Brighton and Walton-on-Thames in Surrey.

The Observer has established that new loans to the property firm Zahawi and Zahawi were reported in the same year that an offshore family company linked to the chancellor sold shares in YouGov, the polling firm he founded, transferring £26m to an unknown recipient or recipients.

A source close to Zahawi insisted there was no link between the money transferred out of the offshore firm, Balshore Investments, and the unsecured loans to his family property firm, Zahawi and Zahawi.

 

Where is the chin-stroking emoji when you need it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Liz Truss claimed her Amazon Prime subscription on expenses. 

If she is using it to get stuff delivered quicker that she needs for work I'd say its justified. Unlike the rest of her existence which totally isn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...