Who takes over The Westerlands after the fall of the Lannisters?

22 hours ago, EggBlue said:

there are too many Lannisters . even if everyone of Lannisters of the Rock die (or passed over) , then there are Lannisters of Lannisport who I believe are the closest relatives to Rock Lannisters.

Yup. The OP's assuming the Lannisters are just the named characters in text. There are really a lot more of them than those that appear in the books. House Lannister is a fecund bunch. It's very unlikely the House falls and goes extinct.

30 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Yup. The OP's assuming the Lannisters are just the named characters in text. There are really a lot more of them than those that appear in the books. House Lannister is a fecund bunch. It's very unlikely the House falls and goes extinct.

Others: " 'Sup?"

It's possible.

The Long Night is coming. Many will starve or be slain by the armies of ice and/or fire.

Casterly Rock is a gigantic cave and it seems like the tunnels that comprise Casterly Rock are connected to the tunnels in the Stormlands that Arianne briefly explores and the tunnels beyond the Wall where Bran is located. I can see the Others and/or wights infiltrating Casterly Rock that way.

If the Lannisters are all killed off and the Starks end up being the ruling family of Westeros, then I'd say the Westerlings are well-positioned to be the new overlords of the Westerlands.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:06 PM, BlackLightning said:

Casterly Rock is a gigantic cave and it seems like the tunnels that comprise Casterly Rock are connected to the tunnels in the Stormlands that Arianne briefly explores and the tunnels beyond the Wall where Bran is located. I can see the Others and/or wights infiltrating Casterly Rock that way.

So you mean that there are long, continous tunnels stretching the ENTIRE LENGTH OF WESTEROS?? Even for a fantasy story like ASOIAF, with seasons lasting for years, that seems a bit extreme. The biggest magical structure that we know of is The Wall, and that is only maybe a tenth or less than the length of Westeros.

Edited by Adam Targaryen

On 7/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, BlackLightning said:

It's possible.

The Long Night is coming. Many will starve or be slain by the armies of ice and/or fire.

If the Lannisters are all killed off and the Starks end up being the ruling family of Westeros, then I'd say the Westerlings are well-positioned to be the new overlords of the Westerlands.

literally an entire underworld?! yeah that'll be cool :P besides , it can help with telepathing the Others . I mean , say Jon's death is the reason the Others can pass through the Wall's boundary and do that from under tunnels ... then , by the end of the book they'll suddenly be all over Westeros !  

4 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

So you mean that there are long, continous tunnels stretching the ENTIRE LENGTH OF WESTEROS?? Even for a fantasy story like ASOIAF, with seasons lasting for years, that seems a bit extreme. The biggest magical structure that we know of is The Wall, and that is only maybe a tenth or less than the length of Westeros.

Probably not the entire length of Westeros.

But why does that seem so extreme? It's already established that Arianne saw cave drawings and writings from the Children of the Forest in the Rainwood caves. And apparently, Gorne's Way can take you from beyond the Wall into the heart of the North. And the Brotherhood without Banners use this massive cave with lots of different pathways and alleys that lead to unknown parts underneath High Heart as a headquarters.

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

literally an entire underworld?! yeah that'll be cool :P besides , it can help with telepathing the Others . I mean , say Jon's death is the reason the Others can pass through the Wall's boundary and do that from under tunnels ... then , by the end of the book they'll suddenly be all over Westeros !  

I don't think that the Others will be all over Westeros. But I definitely think that wights (aka zombies) will be all over Westeros by way of the tunnels.

This isn't the show. Why would GRRM build up the Others and their army of the dead as this massive thing only for them to not even make it to the south side of Winterfell?

The last book is going to be more like "The Walking Dead" than the final season of the show ever was.

59 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

But why does that seem so extreme? It's already established that Arianne saw cave drawings and writings from the Children of the Forest in the Rainwood caves. And apparently, Gorne's Way can take you from beyond the Wall into the heart of the North. And the Brotherhood without Banners use this massive cave with lots of different pathways and alleys that lead to unknown parts underneath High Heart as a headquarters.

I don't think that the Others will be all over Westeros. But I definitely think that wights (aka zombies) will be all over Westeros by way of the tunnels.

This isn't the show. Why would GRRM build up the Others and their army of the dead as this massive thing only for them to not even make it to the south side of Winterfell?

The last book is going to be more like "The Walking Dead" than the final season of the show ever was.

it is extreme but it's not far fetched in my opinion . in fact, I rather like that idea. I mean , with so many characters in so many different places , it's not logical to think they will all assemble in one place to fight especially that they don't have the luxury of Dr.Strange's portals. I used to think at least Winterfell and Stormsend are connected and will be sources of the Others attack (whether they show up themselves or send their zombie slaves) . another option I had thought to bring about various fronts of war was near the seas and rivers ( Blackwater , Trident , etc . since " dead in the water" lines of Patchface) ... I don't know why I hadn't thought of something more extreme . maybe because Arianne chapter was in Winds  and I've read it but once. so yeah , I guess we actually agree on the theory/subject .. whatever..:)

• 1 month later...

I agree about the cave network, though I think it is the other way around in terms of who will be using it to get around. After all the entrances to the caves in the hill where the children live are warded against the wights.

Caves are after all much easier to guard and it will far less cold underground than it will be on the surface.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, BlackLightning said:

If they connect the Wall, Casterly Rock and the Rainwood then yes, it definitely is the entire length of Westeros, many, thousands of miles of tunnel, a completely different ballgame from the comparatively tiny cave the Brotherhood used.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:52 AM, Adam Targaryen said:

I wouldn't totally discount the possibility. TWOIAF really plays up the notion of deep unexplored caves, and even toys with the "absurd" rumor that the caves go to the center of the earth. For all his talents and aspirations, let's not forget that GRRM is a huge fan of early comics, especially the Fantastic Four, and I wouldn't be surprised by him being enamored with the notion of Subterranea, and wanting to put his own slightly more realistic spin on it.

• 11 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 7:24 AM, EggBlue said:

there are too many Lannisters . even if everyone of Lannisters of the Rock die (or passed over) , then there are Lannisters of Lannisport who I believe are the closest relatives to Rock Lannisters.

The Lannisters of Lannisport are at least several centuries removed from the main branch.  I'm thinking the it would be the Lannister-Freys, that is Genna's surviving son, or her grandchildren or something.  Her eldest had two sons before he died, and another dead son may have had kids.  Genna's line is a contender, but they'd probably take the Lannister name the way Joffrey Lydon did when he married the daughter of the last First Men King of the Rock and made the Lannisters into mostly an Andal family.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:56 PM, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I wouldn't totally discount the possibility. TWOIAF really plays up the notion of deep unexplored caves, and even toys with the "absurd" rumor that the caves go to the center of the earth. For all his talents and aspirations, let's not forget that GRRM is a huge fan of early comics, especially the Fantastic Four, and I wouldn't be surprised by him being enamored with the notion of Subterranea, and wanting to put his own slightly more realistic spin on it.

Yeah, for all of GRRMs good sides as a storyteller, realism is not one of his strong suits. So I can quite easily see it.

Edited by Aldarion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Daven would seem.like the safe pair of hands

Jamie and bryden see him as highly competent , warden of the west so currently has command of the remaining westerland forces , hes of the casterly rock  lannisters   and his mum was a lefford of the golden tooth so excellent pedigree and of course if the freys get massacred  his dad is free to continue the marriage proposal to a redwyne girl!

His dolt father has 2 unmarried daughters so all theyd need to do to tie it would be one to a lannisport lannister and one to another powerful house!