Jump to content

House of the Dragon Flood Gates Open


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Can you share the more complete leak?

I think you are looking for this : https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:House_of_the_Dragon:_Season_1/Outline

Like @The Dragon Demands said there are details that change from one set of leaks to another but the overall story stays consistent and thus is probably true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The article about sexual assault from the other day had a quote about how sometimes it’s inappropriate even if the person involved doesn’t realize it. So I think we’ll probably see Aegon with an underage servant who can’t really say no, but in his mind it’ll just be a normal affair. Uptight Alicent, meanwhile, will be horrified (maybe shades of Viserys II dealing with young Aegon the Unworthy). 

It seems to me that we'll get an Alicent who is very much accustomed to clean up after her son ... who is very much a disappointment. Moon tea is a means to make bastards go away, basically.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There was some debate among people that have heard various leaks about Criston:

  Hide contents

The main gist is that Rhaenyra seduces Criston. He feels guilty about breaking his vows but is besotted with her. After her engagement to Laenor, he offers to elope and run away with her in Essos. She refuses but selfishly wants him to remain her paramour. This offends Criston and he pins all of his guilt/decisions on her.

That seems to make more sense - the leak didn't mention the paramour part. Without that Criston would have been just a strange character. Joffrey Lonmouth's death likely is going to make sense.

Regarding the Laenor-Rhaenyra deal - I guess the events of the wedding are going to undercut/destroy that particular understanding. The book has Laenor breaking down completely after Joffrey's death, to the point that they might not have consummated the marriage. And, of course, Laenor could have felt that Rhaenyra was partly to blame for the shenanigans, considering her men issues got his friend killed.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The fact that none of the leaks indicated much of anything happening with Harwin and Lyonel is a huge missed opportunity, in my opinion. They had so much potential, but it sounds like the showrunners just threw it away. As for Larys:

Not making Harwin/Lyonel the 'heir for a day' informant gives them less agency.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:
  Hide contents

He apparently has a foot fetish. I’ve heard this from a few different people. And Alicent takes her shoes off around him to manipulate him. Yeah.

LOL, really? That sounds like fun. If they don't change the character completely then this dynamic is going to change eventually, though. Larys really fucks with Alicent and Aegon in the end.

I guess we'll get the Rhaenyra-Harwin story mostly in retrospect, when Rhaenyra talks to Jace about their relationship. Feels like a good way to do it.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I maintain that the smartest thing Viserys could have done was betroth Helaena to Jace. Alicent may not have liked it, but she wouldn’t have staged a coup against her own grandson.

Hopefully we get an explanation who and why the Aegon-Helaena match is arranged. And also why they don't go with Rhaenyra-Aegon.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If the “heir for a day” part is true, then it’s actually pretty clever. 

It sounds like Rhaenyra starts off as kind of a selfish brat but matures a lot once she becomes a mother. Alicent, on the other hand, grows more paranoid.

I guess Alicent is going to get very strained by the fact that, especially, Aegon is going to be a huge disappointment. Rhaenyra's sons are all fine but hers are a wastrel disappointment, a sadist hothead, and a follower (who still might shine somewhat in season 2, I guess). Everything would have been easier if Aegon II had been another Jaehaerys I.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking about Alicent's family - I think the show would be well-advised to make Bryndon Hightower, Lord Ormund's cousin (assuming they include him) Otto's eldest son. It stands to reason that Alicent's brothers must have the highest offices at Oldtown in the wake of their prominence at court.

Really looking forward to the depiction of Aemma Arryn. That is such an odd pairing in the book, with the big age gap and the early wedding that there must be a story there. The way I imagine this happening is that Alysanne was so wroth over Daella's fate that she took Aemma from Lord Rodrik Arryn and raised her as her own ward with her own daughters and grandchildren - and that way she grew close to Viserys somehow. As an arranged match that's weird as hell - she should have been paired with Daemon, and Viserys with one of the younger daughters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lord Varys said:

Thinking about Alicent's family - I think the show would be well-advised to make Bryndon Hightower, Lord Ormund's cousin (assuming they include him) Otto's eldest son. It stands to reason that Alicent's brothers must have the highest offices at Oldtown in the wake of their prominence at court.

Really looking forward to the depiction of Aemma Arryn. That is such an odd pairing in the book, with the big age gap and the early wedding that there must be a story there. The way I imagine this happening is that Alysanne was so wroth over Daella's fate that she took Aemma from Lord Rodrik Arryn and raised her as her own ward with her own daughters and grandchildren - and that way she grew close to Viserys somehow. As an arranged match that's weird as hell - she should have been paired with Daemon, and Viserys with one of the younger daughters.

It is very odd that Aemma was married at age 11, especially considering what happened to her mother. I’m thinking that George just messed the timeline up there.

15 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It seems to me that we'll get an Alicent who is very much accustomed to clean up after her son ... who is very much a disappointment. Moon tea is a means to make bastards go away, basically.

That seems to make more sense - the leak didn't mention the paramour part. Without that Criston would have been just a strange character. Joffrey Lonmouth's death likely is going to make sense.

Regarding the Laenor-Rhaenyra deal - I guess the events of the wedding are going to undercut/destroy that particular understanding. The book has Laenor breaking down completely after Joffrey's death, to the point that they might not have consummated the marriage. And, of course, Laenor could have felt that Rhaenyra was partly to blame for the shenanigans, considering her men issues got his friend killed.

Not making Harwin/Lyonel the 'heir for a day' informant gives them less agency.

LOL, really? That sounds like fun. If they don't change the character completely then this dynamic is going to change eventually, though. Larys really fucks with Alicent and Aegon in the end.

I guess we'll get the Rhaenyra-Harwin story mostly in retrospect, when Rhaenyra talks to Jace about their relationship. Feels like a good way to do it.

Hopefully we get an explanation who and why the Aegon-Helaena match is arranged. And also why they don't go with Rhaenyra-Aegon.

I guess Alicent is going to get very strained by the fact that, especially, Aegon is going to be a huge disappointment. Rhaenyra's sons are all fine but hers are a wastrel disappointment, a sadist hothead, and a follower (who still might shine somewhat in season 2, I guess). Everything would have been easier if Aegon II had been another Jaehaerys I.

It sounds like Aemond had more promise until he claimed Vhagar and embraced his inner dragon (for all the Cobra Kai fans out there, he sounds like Hawk). He was always the more disciplined of the two—when we first met them as adults, Aegon was at leisure with a paramour, while Aemond was doing weapon drills. I like that one still of the greens and blacks where Helaena is wearing yellow; it emphasizes how she’s a pawn who doesn’t really care who sits the throne. Hopefully they picked a good actress for Helaena, because B&C has the potential to be on par with Catelyn at the Red Wedding if done well.

Aegon and the servant shows that we really do live in different times now. Imagine some reporter asking D&D about power imbalances. . . 

Assuming Jace is like he was in the books, I’m wondering if that’ll be another point of contention between Rhaenyra and Alicent, that Rhaenyra’s heir is this golden boy and her sons are extremely unimpressive (and the most impressive was essentially raised by other people).

It looks like they’re going the Cersei route with Alicent by making her all about protecting her kids, whereas Otto’s the ambitious/deceptive one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It is very odd that Aemma was married at age 11, especially considering what happened to her mother. I’m thinking that George just messed the timeline up there.

He included the line that they only consummated the marriage when she flowered two years later, so it isn't really a mistake. But Viserys is still five years older than his wife, so it is an odd pairing.

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It sounds like Aemond had more promise until he claimed Vhagar and embraced his inner dragon (for all the Cobra Kai fans out there, he sounds like Hawk). He was always the more disciplined of the two—when we first met them as adults, Aegon was at leisure with a paramour, while Aemond was doing weapon drills.

Aemond might indeed have a similar arc, starting as an odd child who is humiliated not only by his nephews but also his elder brother, apparently. I guess his journey could definitely be one of further escalation. What they have to prepare him for is his nonsensical military decisions, his irrational Strong hatred, and the Alys Rivers story. I guess prior to Rook's Rest Aegon and Aemond could even band together to oust the old guard (Otto and Alicent). Because it seems clear that a big part of Alicent's children will be a story of emancipation from grandfather and mommy.

For Aegon II we could get an ugly reversal there. After his fight with Baela the crippled king might end up becoming a momma's boy yet again, being too crippled and dependent on his mother to stand up to her again.

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I like that one still of the greens and blacks where Helaena is wearing yellow; it emphasizes how she’s a pawn who doesn’t really care who sits the throne. Hopefully they picked a good actress for Helaena, because B&C has the potential to be on par with Catelyn at the Red Wedding if done well.

It seems they give Helaena a prophetic talent, which certainly is going to add depth and complexity to her character. It could also help explain or make sense of her madness. Perhaps the Blood and Cheese trauma causes her to have multiple nightmares about future events in the Dance, the Storming of the Dragonpit included?

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Assuming Jace is like he was in the books, I’m wondering if that’ll be another point of contention between Rhaenyra and Alicent, that Rhaenyra’s heir is this golden boy and her sons are extremely unimpressive (and the most impressive was essentially raised by other people).

I think a great take on Daeron could be that he barely knows his family and tries to set himself up as the prince who forces his family with 'outside help' to sit down together and make a peace. He size of the Hightower army could give him the necessary strength, but Ormund certainly might be more loyal to Alicent and Otto. It could be great to see how such a noble intention might devolve to monstrous barbarism in the wake of Maelor's death, the Two Betrayers, etc.

8 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It looks like they’re going the Cersei route with Alicent by making her all about protecting her kids, whereas Otto’s the ambitious/deceptive one.

I think Otto may just have a better grasp of what it means that they are doing. Otto is slowly forming alliances when he is ousted ... but his alliances had real and sharp teeth to them. The Triarchy nearly crushed Rhaenyra ... and that without the Greens themselves losing a single man.

I think Alicent is set up to slowly developing in a meaner, more ruthless characters. After Blood and Cheese she might be changed quite considerably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The leaks are definitely a lot more palatable than GOT S5-8, and I’m glad they’re sticking so close to the books. I’m still apprehensive though. I think that’s how I’ll feel about any of these spin-offs.

Spoiler

The Criston/Rhaenyra angle is interesting because, on the one hand, she’s clearly using him and doesn’t care about how her actions affect him. On the other hand, she’s also a teenage girl and he’s a grown-ass man, making his decision to blame her rather pathetic.

There was a shot from the last BTS video of Rhaenyra with Harwin where she’s holding Joffrey and it looks like she’s crying. The rumor is that this is when she’s saying goodbye to Harwin when he leaves for Harrenhal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

all in all, I'm somewhat impressed with the leaks . of course "heir for the day" part is my favorite part :) and a few thoughts...

  • Spoiler
    • Aegon and Alicent's maid part , if executed well,  can really work well within the story as well as for our modern world discussions if it's indeed about ignorance and misuse of power imbalances by Aegon rather than violence.
    • I'm not so sure about Aemond's accident though . in the books it was 3 on one but those 3 were small kids. in the show 4 on one ?... Velaryons and Dragon Twins will come off as worst types of bullies. maybe they don't want Jace to be such a perfect prince after all.
    • I like Rhaenyra considering peace at first a lot ... 
    • Viserys mistaking Alicent with Rhaenyra can be a great inclusion . it's obvious that Alicent knows well enough that she is not merely honoring Viserys's dying wish . but that part could be her basically deluding herself that she's doing the right thing which could be acknowledged at the end when all her children have died just because of her and her father.   
    • I like if they actually include Laena claiming Vhaegar scene although it gets repetitive if they also make a big fuss about Aemond claiming Vhaegar ... so I don't know... 

    and I hope we get some parent-kid dynamics(it's a family drama show after all LOL) ... like between Jace and all three of his fathers (Harwin , Laenor and Daemon) and of course Alicent-Aegon which is crucial to the story and perhaps Viserys-Aegon ...we should really see how Aegon became such a disappointment ... even Aemond , as sadistic as he is, is quite accomplished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The leaks are definitely a lot more palatable than GOT S5-8, and I’m glad they’re sticking so close to the books. I’m still apprehensive though. I think that’s how I’ll feel about any of these spin-offs.

Certainly, the acting can still suck. But the plot seems to really aim for complexity and the characters clearly are supposed to be three-dimensional, having multiple layers, contradicting motivations.

The prophecy angle as a kind of undercurrent could work really well.

19 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:
  Hide contents

The Criston/Rhaenyra angle is interesting because, on the one hand, she’s clearly using him and doesn’t care about how her actions affect him. On the other hand, she’s also a teenage girl and he’s a grown-ass man, making his decision to blame her rather pathetic.

I think it could work pretty well, being a rather fine synthesis of the Eustace and the Mushroom version. And it seems very fitting for a character like him that being a simple paramour - or perhaps only a one-night stand - isn't something he can cope with easily. They seem to envision him as a guy who ends up using misogyny to deal with his own failure to 'resist feminine wiles'.

19 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There was a shot from the last BTS video of Rhaenyra with Harwin where she’s holding Joffrey and it looks like she’s crying. The rumor is that this is when she’s saying goodbye to Harwin when he leaves for Harrenhal.

I guess there will be some build-up for this in the earlier episodes, hints that Harwin has the hots for the princess, and that she finds him attractive, too ... but the exact nature of their relationship might be something that's only hinted at until Jace asks his mother about it.

It also seems as if the royal hunt thingy happens just after Aegon's birth and it is not Aegon who has to prove himself to be a man there but rather Viserys struggling with how to proceed now that he has a son, after all. Which, I think, makes more sense in context.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

all in all, I'm somewhat impressed with the leaks . of course "heir for the day" part is my favorite part :) and a few thoughts...

  •   Hide contents
    • Aegon and Alicent's maid part , if executed well,  can really work well within the story as well as for our modern world discussions if it's indeed about ignorance and misuse of power imbalances by Aegon rather than violence.
    • I'm not so sure about Aemond's accident though . in the books it was 3 on one but those 3 were small kids. in the show 4 on one ?... Velaryons and Dragon Twins will come off as worst types of bullies. maybe they don't want Jace to be such a perfect prince after all.
    • I like Rhaenyra considering peace at first a lot ... 
    • Viserys mistaking Alicent with Rhaenyra can be a great inclusion . it's obvious that Alicent knows well enough that she is not merely honoring Viserys's dying wish . but that part could be her basically deluding herself that she's doing the right thing which could be acknowledged at the end when all her children have died just because of her and her father.   
    • I like if they actually include Laena claiming Vhaegar scene although it gets repetitive if they also make a big fuss about Aemond claiming Vhaegar ... so I don't know... 

    and I hope we get some parent-kid dynamics(it's a family drama show after all LOL) ... like between Jace and all three of his fathers (Harwin , Laenor and Daemon) and of course Alicent-Aegon which is crucial to the story and perhaps Viserys-Aegon ...we should really see how Aegon became such a disappointment ... even Aemond , as sadistic as he is, is quite accomplished. 

Based on other rumors I saw, Aegon may have a bit of the “why doesn’t daddy love me as much as my big sibling?” thing that Tyrion and Cersei had.

It sounds like Rhaena tries to stop Aemond instead of Joffrey, so we’ll presumably see him hitting a little girl. With that in mind, it makes sense that her cousins would come to her rescue. 

I still kind of think that we’ll get an Alicent/Criston tryst next season. If Alicent is willing to change her stance on moon tea and let Larys drool all over her feet, then I can see a newly-widowed Alicent being open to sleeping with her bodyguard. Plus Alicent is pretty and this is HBO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Based on other rumors I saw, Aegon may have a bit of the “why doesn’t daddy love me as much as my big sibling?” thing that Tyrion and Cersei had.

I've seen that one too . which actually makes total sense. Rhaenyra is daddy's heir . Aemond is the big martial dragon . and Aegon is just the untalented kid who was forced into marrying his sister for no reason at all. 

31 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It sounds like Rhaena tries to stop Aemond instead of Joffrey, so we’ll presumably see him hitting a little girl. With that in mind, it makes sense that her cousins would come to her rescue. 

this makes more sense.

31 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I still kind of think that we’ll get an Alicent/Criston tryst next season. If Alicent is willing to change her stance on moon tea and let Larys drool all over her feet, then I can see a newly-widowed Alicent being open to sleeping with her bodyguard. Plus Alicent is pretty and this is HBO.

oh , I think the Alicent's jealousy inthe tourney where Cole wears Rhaenyra's favor is a clear indication that she will be on board with a romantic relationship with Criston . question is when will Cole change his mind about his honor? especially that he is already mad at Rhaenyra for seducing him and soiling his cloak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HBO Max is around until 2023, and then will continue as a merged super-streamer with Discovery+, with details of pricing still unknown. Why so dramatic?

Edited by Ran
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

I think you are looking for this : https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:House_of_the_Dragon:_Season_1/Outline

Like @The Dragon Demands said there are details that change from one set of leaks to another but the overall story stays consistent and thus is probably true.

That's the old version. The spy reporters made a whole new infopack since then, much more detailed. 

But all this is broadly accurate. One or two details might be off, but we'll know when we see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I still kind of think that we’ll get an Alicent/Criston tryst next season. If Alicent is willing to change her stance on moon tea and let Larys drool all over her feet, then I can see a newly-widowed Alicent being open to sleeping with her bodyguard. Plus Alicent is pretty and this is HBO.

That would be quite odd. I mean, then Criston would just be the paramour of another woman who doesn't want to run away with him - not to mention that he wouldn't want to run away after he is the Hand of the King.

Thinking about the second season I could see them moving around events a little bit. Season 2 could end with Rhaenyra ascending the Iron Throne, and they could move most of the Reach/Hightower plot to season 3, making season 2's fighting mostly about the Riverlands, the Westermen army, and the Triarchy ... starting with Cole's campaigns in the Crownlands, of course.

Then season 3 could culminate with Daemon-Aemond and the Storming of the Dragonpit, moving Rhaenyra's death, etc. to season 4. Don't think Aegon II's short reign merits an entire season.

What we know about Baela and Rhaena would imply that we might get more maneuverability at least for Baela since she will have a dragon of her own. She could fly back and forth between Dragonstone and Harrenhal, passing messages between Daemon and Rhaenyra. Baela should also participate in the Battle of the Gullet and the taking of KL.

If they are smart they fly with Jace marrying Sara Snow, making this the reason for the falling-out between Rhaenyra and the Velaryons rather than Rhaenyra being bed-ridding/cowardly/depressed or Corlys whining because his wife died in battle. The legitimization of the Hull boys might then be the price Jace and Rhaenyra have pay for Jace's stupid marriage.

Then we could also have the Hull boys hooking up with Baela/Rhaena (or one of them). The fact that nobody seemed to actually arrange the Baela-Alyn match in the book was always very odd, so the show could lay some groundwork there. Dragonless Rhaena might be drawn to the dragonrider Addam while Baela ends up with dragonless Alyn. Of course, they could just as well simply befriend their cousins there, with a romance taking place only later.

After the Two Betrayers we could see Baela being effectively banished from court since she could passionately defend Addam from his accusers, making her return to Dragonstone a similar kind of banishment as Gerardys faces in the book. Having her being stuck on Dragonstone the entire time would be a waste of potential they are not going to do. The way they seem to expand Rhaenys' role - as well as that of the girls - in season 1 should be ample evidence for this.

No idea what to do with Rhaena, although I definitely think we have to see the hatching of Morning. If they consider to go with Regency material they could introduce Corwyn Corbray earlier ... and I kind of get the feeling that Jeyne Arryn and 'the Vale plot' might be more prominent in the show than in the book. For instance, I think, it wouldn't hurt the story if the attack on Sunfyre was done by Arryn knights rather than Mooton knights from Maidenpool.

They do have Aemma Arryn and Rhea Royce in the show, so it stands to reason that Rhaenyra's ties to the Vale should be something they might expand on. Especially since the Arryn in charge of the Vale seems to be a lesbian. Wouldn't mind it if rather than having Sabitha Vypren Frey some of her stuff would go to Lady Jeyne who takes a more active hand in the war.

6 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I don't think Elio would allow that.

Elio doesn't police the entire internet ;-). Just send me a message or link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

 

Kurt Egyiawan as Grand Maester Orwyle

https://loucoulson.co.uk/talent/kurt-egyiawan#cv

They cast a black actor: maybe he's supposed to be from Driftmark? Perhaps a minor Velaryon cousin? Books say he was of noble birth.

To be fair, I think we don't need to question the ethnicities of anyone anymore from Dragonstone or King's Landing.

They're port towns and we could conceivably cast Duncan the Tall with a PoC.

Indeed, the Iron Islands as well since they take "brides" from all over.

Ugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

That would be quite odd. I mean, then Criston would just be the paramour of another woman who doesn't want to run away with him - not to mention that he wouldn't want to run away after he is the Hand of the King.

Thinking about the second season I could see them moving around events a little bit. Season 2 could end with Rhaenyra ascending the Iron Throne, and they could move most of the Reach/Hightower plot to season 3, making season 2's fighting mostly about the Riverlands, the Westermen army, and the Triarchy ... starting with Cole's campaigns in the Crownlands, of course.

Then season 3 could culminate with Daemon-Aemond and the Storming of the Dragonpit, moving Rhaenyra's death, etc. to season 4. Don't think Aegon II's short reign merits an entire season.

What we know about Baela and Rhaena would imply that we might get more maneuverability at least for Baela since she will have a dragon of her own. She could fly back and forth between Dragonstone and Harrenhal, passing messages between Daemon and Rhaenyra. Baela should also participate in the Battle of the Gullet and the taking of KL.

If they are smart they fly with Jace marrying Sara Snow, making this the reason for the falling-out between Rhaenyra and the Velaryons rather than Rhaenyra being bed-ridding/cowardly/depressed or Corlys whining because his wife died in battle. The legitimization of the Hull boys might then be the price Jace and Rhaenyra have pay for Jace's stupid marriage.

Then we could also have the Hull boys hooking up with Baela/Rhaena (or one of them). The fact that nobody seemed to actually arrange the Baela-Alyn match in the book was always very odd, so the show could lay some groundwork there. Dragonless Rhaena might be drawn to the dragonrider Addam while Baela ends up with dragonless Alyn. Of course, they could just as well simply befriend their cousins there, with a romance taking place only later.

After the Two Betrayers we could see Baela being effectively banished from court since she could passionately defend Addam from his accusers, making her return to Dragonstone a similar kind of banishment as Gerardys faces in the book. Having her being stuck on Dragonstone the entire time would be a waste of potential they are not going to do. The way they seem to expand Rhaenys' role - as well as that of the girls - in season 1 should be ample evidence for this.

No idea what to do with Rhaena, although I definitely think we have to see the hatching of Morning. If they consider to go with Regency material they could introduce Corwyn Corbray earlier ... and I kind of get the feeling that Jeyne Arryn and 'the Vale plot' might be more prominent in the show than in the book. For instance, I think, it wouldn't hurt the story if the attack on Sunfyre was done by Arryn knights rather than Mooton knights from Maidenpool.

They do have Aemma Arryn and Rhea Royce in the show, so it stands to reason that Rhaenyra's ties to the Vale should be something they might expand on. Especially since the Arryn in charge of the Vale seems to be a lesbian. Wouldn't mind it if rather than having Sabitha Vypren Frey some of her stuff would go to Lady Jeyne who takes a more active hand in the war.

Elio doesn't police the entire internet ;-). Just send me a message or link.

They’ll both presumably be corrupted over the course of 20 years. Not agreeing to marry Criston—rejecting him in favor of a “sissy”—is the real cause of his anger at Rhaenyra, in my opinion. Two attractive people who have become increasingly less idealistic and more ruthless could definitely have a purely sexual relationship.

@The Dragon Demands Could you please message me a link too? I love spoilers :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I heard some folks not so much liking Rhaenyra's reluctance at war ... even without the prophetic stuff as a hidden motivational layer. Rhaenyra is pissed about the betrayal in the book, yes, but she isn't a hawk. She makes a peace offer during her coronation ceremony, and she and Daemon both don't actually want an all-out war during the Black Council session.

I think the writers of the show want a slow and careful escalation of things, both for Alicent and Rhaenyra (and the boys, too, if Aemond and Aegon are any indication). Unlike in the book, Luke's death is not going to break Rhaenyra, apparently, but push her more into total war territory ... Blood and Cheese will do the same for Alicent. Remember that she is going to be a witness/participant in the entire affair.

The show might quickly reach a point where Rhaenyra has forgotten all her good intentions about not ripping the Seven Kingdoms into pieces. Just as Alicent's only goal in life might be to see Rhaenyra and her family dead ... with those later peace overtures being nothing dishonest suggestions.

Oddly enough, Daemon being the guy nobody ever trusted with 'the serious secrets' of House Targaryen could actually give him an arc where he questions himself and his life's decisions to the point where he ends up making the stupid decision he makes in the end.

Thinking more about Baela/Rhaena:

Rather than having Corlys go on the entire time about that stupid/pointless Aegon-Jaehaera match (at a time when neither Aegon nor Jaehaera are the actual heirs of their respective parent - nor does anybody know where the hell Jaehaera is or whether she is still alive) I think he could suggest to Rhaenyra that they offer Baela or Rhaena's hand in marriage to young Daeron the Daring ... in exchange for him bending the knee, etc.

George never bothered to make a betrothal or marriage for him - which is actually quite odd since one would imagine that Ormund Hightower would have been rather keen to hook him up with one of his daughters or one of Otto's granddaughters through his sons.

Of course this would then not happen, but it seems like the wiser and more obvious suggestion at that particular time.

Another thing that could have repercussions in the show is Aemond's weirdo romance with Alys Rivers. The guy promised to marry a Baratheon girl ... but doesn't. Now, we all know that nobody punishing the Baratheons for Luke's death is odd ... but so is Borros not reacting to there being no Targaryen wedding for any of his girls. After Aemond falls for the witch and Rhaenyra takes the Iron Throne it would make sense that the Baratheons want to make amends. They are not exactly that far away from a bunch of very large dragons.

One way to deal with that in the show could be to have the Stormlords bend their knees to Rhaenyra for a time, a deal being sealed with one of the Four Storms being betrothed to one of Rhaenyra's sons ... Joffrey Velaryon, say (they can cut the weirdo Manderly betrothal easily enough). Possibly an even better deal than the Aemond thing, as that would make the Baratheon the future queen since Joff is Rhaenyra's heir. Borros would then go back to neutral/switch back to the Greens after Tumbleton and/or the Storming of the Dragonpit.

Edited by Lord Varys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

To be fair, I think we don't need to question the ethnicities of anyone anymore from Dragonstone or King's Landing.

They're port towns and we could conceivably cast Duncan the Tall with a PoC.

Indeed, the Iron Islands as well since they take "brides" from all over.

Ugh.

I personally think it would work well for some of the Ironborn families to be different races. The Greyjoys would need to remain white, but the presence of salt wives/thralls could allow for a lot flexibility.

Race-bending Dunk would definitely feel like pandering, since there have already been graphic novels and licensed art of him (and since he’s Brienne’s ancestor). But I suppose it’s possible. The smarter thing would be for HBO to start developing more shows that already feature POC characters as they were envisioned, but I guess that requires too much effort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...