Jump to content

House of the Dragon Flood Gates Open


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Not necessarily the best solution, but it's tough to get everything right when you're juggling scores of artworks and (in our case, not F&B's) dozens of artists, some of whom are brought very late in the process or who are running right to the razor's edge of the deadline.

Perhaps we can find new ways of motivating them. Martin is most displeased with their apparent lack of progress - they can tell him about this when he arrives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

That's what I heard. She gets surprised by a boar while riding through the woods during the hunt episode but manages to slash it with a Valyrian steel dagger (which is so sharp you don't need much strength to carve someone really badly with it)

Well the recent video promo seem to confirm it (at 22s):

 

Edited by Thomaerys Velaryon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a story with so many love triangles, the promos have all been notably devoid of romance. I would have thought they’d at least be hinting at Rhaenyra and Cole.

Did the earlier GOT trailers focus on Jon/Ygritte, Robb/Talisa, or Dany/Drogo at all?

Edited by The Bard of Banefort
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I vaguely recall them claiming that it was done to simplify the confession of maester Aemon's identity. When writing the script, it was easier to say that the rebels had murdered "his nephew and grandnephew" than "his grandnephew and grand-grandnephew".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

For a story with so many love triangles, the promos have all been notably devoid of romance. I would have thought they’d at least be hinting at Rhaenyra and Cole.

Did the earlier GOT trailers focus on Jon/Ygritte, Robb/Talisa, or Dany/Drogo at all?

We never even got Fat Pink Mast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I mean, we did get the scene between Sam and Gilly.

Well, we got the horrid business with the thimble.  If there was a Sam/Gilly sex scene, it’s probably been erased from my memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

I vaguely recall them claiming that it was done to simplify the confession of maester Aemon's identity. When writing the script, it was easier to say that the rebels had murdered "his nephew and grandnephew" than "his grandnephew and grand-grandnephew".

Robert and Ned's actors were a good deal older then the characters in the books Having Robert's rival from many years ago be Aemon's younger brother's adult grandson with kids of his own probably didn't seem plausible anymore.

Edited by Denam_Pavel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2022 at 12:04 AM, Lord Varys said:

On his own Aegon III would have easily 'chosen' Myrielle considering she was the girl he talked to the most. Sadly enough, Aegon III himself would have likely never freed himself from Peake. He has no quick or smart political mind, nor does he ever truly want to rule. If Viserys hadn't come back things may have gone very bad for him. His sisters would have tried to help him, but they were women and Alyn was away more often than not.

But it is quite ridiculous to assume that Daenaera would be chosen if the girls hadn't arranged that before. She was a preteen child ... and whatever he beauty was, it was the beauty of a six-year-old which is literally no beauty at all. The girls give their brother a clue when they tell him that have brought him his wife ... and Aegon was clearly happy that the ordeal was finally over.

That Peake - as the most powerful regent, the Hand, and the Protector of the Realm couldn't undo this shows that there were powerful factions at court who pushed this through. The same people earlier stopped the Myrielle Peake match, one assumes, and then teamed up with the half-sisters and their husbands to find a better suited bride. And there Daenaera's stunning Valyrian looks likely were what made her the lucky one rather than another Velaryon girl or a Celtigar, etc. because a Targaryen king needs a Targaryen queen ... if if none is available than at least who looks the part.

Oh, I think they are playing this up. They will be friends, close friends, who also happen to touch and care for each other. To dress and laugh and bathe together, etc. Although it would fit Rhaenyra's character if she was also attracted to Alicent sexually or romantically since there is this hint that she was 'more than fond' of Laena, meaning she may have had a thing for women as well we men. And about Alicent's sexual and romantic preferences we know nothing - the fact that she seems to have never loved Viserys in the book tells us only that ... not whether she liked or disliked men in general.

In a context where sexual attraction and desire is not framed and styled as an 'identity' but rather as something that can happen (which is how those things were seen in a medieval context) especially love and affection among women wasn't much of an issue.

George does this have in the books with Cersei and Margaery having companions sleeping with them in their bed, with Dany's 'assisted masturbation scene' with Irri - which doesn't mean Dany is 'gay' or 'bisexual' but rather that she had a servant help her masturbate while fantasizing about a man.

Based on Daenaera's family background, I'd say she wouldn't even qualify to appear on the cattle show if the twins didn't arrange it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Robert and Ned's actors were a good deal older then the characters in the books Having Robert's rival from many years ago be Aemon's younger brother's adult grandson with kids of his own probably didn't seem plausible anymore.

Plus they already changed the timeline when they aged up Daenerys as they couldn’t show a 13 year old having sex on screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I vaguely recall them claiming that it was done to simplify the confession of maester Aemon's identity. When writing the script, it was easier to say that the rebels had murdered "his nephew and grandnephew" than "his grandnephew and grand-grandnephew".

Because that makes things so much easier. ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

GRRM: "Put Jaehaerys the Second Back into TV Canon"

SO SPAKE MARTIN!

https://www.insider.com/house-of-the-dragon-grrm-3-book-details-in-show-2022-8

I kind of got him back in for the German version of the show. It was very easy to replace 'son' with 'grandson', even more so since the German 'Enkel' (short for grandson) really doesn't have more syllables than 'son'.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I vaguely recall them claiming that it was done to simplify the confession of maester Aemon's identity. When writing the script, it was easier to say that the rebels had murdered "his nephew and grandnephew" than "his grandnephew and grand-grandnephew".

If they actually used such justification it is just nonsense. It has been a while since I watched the show, but Aemon talks about Aerys II as son of his brother ... and in the book he just said grandson. And then it is the son of his Egg's grandson (Rhaegar) and even the little children (Rhaegar's son and daughter).

Jaehaerys II's name doesn't come up there at all. They wanted to pointlessly simplify things ... which really makes no sense in light of the fact that Aemon is imagined as being a really, really old guy.

But then - I really think we should pretend 'the show universe' doesn't exist. I kind of left that universe when Tywin rambled on about 'King Orys'. And wasn't there another King Maegor in the show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

https://res.cloudinary.com/buzzfeed-brasil/image/upload/q_auto,f_auto/image-uploads/subbuzz-images/jpeg/08be3d7bfe9c9f91a01af08f7d409213.jpg

this scene of promo appears to be Laenor and Qarl fighting. any idea on who's on the background ?

Looks like it might be one of the boys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some more thoughts on DnE: I think the “diversity problem” could be solved very easily, at least in the Hedge Knight. Baelor and Tanselle would presumably be played by Hispanics, and you could easily make Daeron and Valarr Hispanic as well. Steely Pate isn’t given much description outside of being short and wide, so he could be played by a POC too. They could even add some Dornish knights and envoys from Essos to the tourney roster.

I don’t know what they could do about the Sworn Sword or Mystery Knight without racebending entire houses though. If Sea Snake/Nymeria/Yi Ti is running concurrently, then they might not feel obligated to, but that’s a big if. There’s also HBO’s penchant for sex and nudity to contend with. Neither Dunk or Egg are getting any during the first three books. They’d have to add some hamfisted scenes to reach the quota.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Some more thoughts on DnE: I think the “diversity problem” could be solved very easily, at least in the Hedge Knight. Baelor and Tanselle would presumably be played by Hispanics, and you could easily make Daeron and Valarr Hispanic as well. Steely Pate isn’t given much description outside of being short and wide, so he could be played by a POC too. They could even add some Dornish knights and envoys from Essos to the tourney roster.

I don’t know what they could do about the Sworn Sword or Mystery Knight without racebending entire houses though. If Sea Snake/Nymeria/Yi Ti is running concurrently, then they might not feel obligated to, but that’s a big if. There’s also HBO’s penchant for sex and nudity to contend with. Neither Dunk or Egg are getting any during the first three books. They’d have to add some hamfisted scenes to reach the quota.

There is the bedding ceremony in the third book...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HBO had the leaks on Reddit pulled down via copyright (not too sure how that works in this case). Personally, that seems like a huge overreaction. Most viewers don’t read spoilers, and nearly everything is a variation of a book plot that was released in its entirety four years ago. Spoilers get people more excited, not less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...