Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

16 minutes ago, Tyria said:

full force won't hit for 4ish more hours...

You have all my hopes that it won't be Too Awful but Jeezuz -- it is scary, says someone who has lived through and evacuated from hurricanes a lot.  And probably has another one coming next week, though it's too soon to say -- and I don't live on the Gulf or in the Caribbean or the lower Atlantic Coast.  This is what it is like in These Times.  So you betcha -- may you all come through, please1

We’re flying back to Toronto from Italy-via-Munich on Tuesday. Anyone know if hurricanes are likely to either lead to grounding, redirection or very bumpy flights? The latter is of more concern than usual as it will be my two-year old girls second ever flight.

Edited by James Arryn

11 hours ago, James Arryn said:

We’re flying back to Toronto from Italy-via-Munich on Tuesday. Anyone know if hurricanes are likely to either lead to grounding, redirection or very bumpy flights? The latter is of more concern than usual as it will be my two-year old girls second ever flight.

If you have an old fashioned Mercator projection map draw a straight line between Munich and Toronto. If it goes over the Maritimes be prepared for rough weather enroute. An actual globe and a piece of string will work also.

• 3 weeks later...

Election day.  No chance of anyone but Brown winning mayor in Brampton :bang:  but at least I didn't have to vote strategically for the other corrupt right-winger.  She wasn't even in 2nd place in the most recent poll two weeks ago.

Maybe one of my choices for councillor or trustee will pull through.  :dunno:

And now for Diwali fireworks tonight when I'm trying to sleep.  Apparently it's enough to turn the air quality warning to red for a few hours.

Edited by SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Election day.  No chance of anyone but Brown winning mayor in Brampton :bang:  but at least I didn't have to vote strategically for the other corrupt ring-winger.  She wasn't even in 2nd place in the most recent poll two weeks ago.

Maybe one of my choices for councillor or trustee will pull through.  :dunno:

And now for Diwali fireworks tonight when I'm trying to sleep.  Apparently it's enough to turn the air quality warning to red for a few hours.

Pokémon Go has been broadcasting weather warnings every hour, so I looked it up. And yes, there have been so many fireworks set off over the weekend the air has been affected. I like fireworks, but not when there are so many the air is poisoned.

8 hours ago, maarsen said:

I just got today's paper. Ford called to testifying the federal probe of the freedom convoy. Apparently he is trying to get out of doing so.

Apparently the federal government asked for help and Ford refused.

On another note, I stumbled across the obituary of an old, long-ago, Leafs player, defenseman Larry Hillman, who died in the spring. It turned out he had been a holdout in a salary dispute with the Leafs in the fall of 1967: he wanted $20,000 a year and the Leafs refused to pay him more than $19,500. The Leafs told him to eff off and die, he could sit out the season unpaid, but after 24 days Clarence Campbell ruled in favor of the Leafs and he returned to play. The Leafs fined him $2,400 for his 24-day holdout and he cursed the team, saying they wouldn’t win another Stanley Cup until they paid him back. And 55 years later….

eta: I gather the Hillman Hex is well known but I had not come across it before!

Edited by Fragile Bird

Double post but...

Doug Ford is someone I always considered to be a halfwit. Thanks to geometric progression my evaluation is even lower now. Between using the notwithstanding clause for a labour dispute and refusing to testify before a royal commission I think his intellectual abilities are rather miniscule. I know the Conservative party thinks he is not the sharpest because at every opportunity they try to keep him from talking unless the script can be followed.

49 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Double post but...

Doug Ford is someone I always considered to be a halfwit. Thanks to geometric progression my evaluation is even lower now. Between using the notwithstanding clause for a labour dispute and refusing to testify before a royal commission I think his intellectual abilities are rather miniscule. I know the Conservative party thinks he is not the sharpest because at every opportunity they try to keep him from talking unless the script can be followed.

I hope the union strikes on Friday, despite any legislation. I have no idea what I will do (kids school will close), but I don't care.

Fuck this government, using the notwithstanding clause to impose the contract to avoid arbitration is fucking cowardly bullshit. It is a bad precedent, and will likely be used again. Probably as soon as a few months when the teachers threaten a strike.

It is just so incredibly stupid. The compromise for many years has been that strikes are a pain, but by legalizing them, they are predictable. If all of a sudden you legislate away the union membership's rights, you put their back against the wall and invite unpredictable labour action.

why should the union follow the law if the government will simply abuse the process by stacking the deck?

Fuck 'em

Edited by Lord of Oop North

Yup, and honestly, these threatened fines are ridiculous. Up to 4k a day to anyone refusing to go back to work. They don't even gross that much a month. Good luck with that shit.

5 minutes ago, JGP said:

Yup, and honestly, these threatened fines are ridiculous. Up to 4k a day to anyone refusing to go back to work. They don't even gross that much a month. Good luck with that shit.

If that is part of the bill, that would be hilarious.

The average employee salary we are talking about here is $39K CAD. 60% of these workers get laid off in the summer and go on EI. During other school closures (Christmas and March breaks), they have to use vacation or sick days. These are workers are the very bottom of the pyramid.

Mr. Ford and his toad Lecce thinks they are the Big Dicks, swinging around the threat of fines. Fuck both of them. Close the schools and let them try to collect.

Edited by Lord of Oop North

OPSEU announced that they will walk off the job Friday in solidarity with CUPE

https://opseu.org/news/opseu-sefpo-education-workers-to-walk-out-in-solidarity-with-cupe-colleagues/179590/

TORONTO – OPSEU/SEFPO education workers will walk off the job this Friday in a monumental show of solidarity with their CUPE colleagues who are set to stage a province-wide protest against Stephen Lecce and the Ford government’s Bill 28.

Bill 28, which is a legislative attack on workers’ constitutional right to fair and free collective bargaining, was introduced on October 31 after CUPE gave its five days’ notice for job action, with the possible start of a strike on Friday, November 4. Bill 28 preemptively prohibits these workers’ right to strike, imposes massive fines, imposes four-year long collective agreements, and invokes the notwithstanding clause to preclude any legal action against Ford’s unconstitutional and undemocratic attempt at strong-arming.

Bill 28 isn’t just an attack on education workers’ collective bargaining rights, it is an attack on all workers’ rights. And after hearing from hundreds of our education workers and their local leaders who want to support their CUPE colleagues, our response to this unprecedented legislative overstep is clear: OPSEU/SEFPO education workers will walk out in solidarity with their CUPE colleagues this Friday.

1 hour ago, Lord of Oop North said:

OPSEU announced that they will walk off the job Friday in solidarity with CUPE

https://opseu.org/news/opseu-sefpo-education-workers-to-walk-out-in-solidarity-with-cupe-colleagues/179590/

Considering OPSEU and CUPE are not always the best of friends, this support is significant and welcome. I want to add that a lot of the school board workers are part time even though they work full time hours. That way they get no benefits and no job protection. Their hours can be cut to just a few days a month with no recourse. In the hospital sector the practice is the same and I can attest that a whole nursing department can have everyone working part time and the employer will swear up and down that there is not enough work to justify full time status.