Official House of the Dragon Trailer Released

Westeros

Yet more House of the Dragons content drops, as HBO Max releases this official trailer ahead of SDCC (where many expected it to be initially released):

Some really spectacular moments in this, especially our first real look at Caraxes, the Blood Wyrm, and what may well be Vhagar, the last survivor of the three dragons with which the Targaryens conquered the Seven Kingdoms.

Yes, we’ll be putting together a screen capture gallery with some commentary in a future post!

View the full article

Really have a bad feeling about the show at this point. The conflict as such is pretty cheesy - a rather pointless succession war - and there is essentially no subtlety in the trailer that I can detect. Nor do the characters appear to have very good lines.

Sure, there could be quieter scenes and subtlety in a lot of scenes they didn't show.

But at this point it might be good to give us a glimpse of, say, a nice Alicent-Rhaenyra friendship scene or a nice Viserys-Rhaenyra father-daughter scene.

The impression you get is that this is a show about a monstrous civil war long before there is such a war.

Matt Smith is the closest this show has to a Sean Bean, although Sean Bean was probably still more well-known than Smith overall. 

I understand wanting to be optimistic about the show, but I find it odd how many people say that all the show needs to be great is to not have D&D involved. Like it or not, HBO signed off on everything. They defended every dumb decision and gave the Ds complete control over everything. They could have stepped in at any time, but all they cared about were the numbers, so they let it all go to hell even after it was becoming abundantly clear that the show was decreasing in quality. Ultimately it ended up costing them money since, viewership aside, merchandise sales have definitely plummeted. Star Wars this is not.

well , one thing is for sure, costumes and settings are fantastic (factoring the melting swords around IT which I find weirder and weirder every time) . such a shame the same can't be said about wigs. I also liked Caraxes . 

as for the content .. I've got to say the line "I'll make new orders" is too much like "I'll break the wheel" for me... especially that both promises essentially fail. all in all I don't understand what they are going to do with Rhaenyra's character.. we should wait and see I suppose..

it's quite interesting that the trailer is showcasing it as if the conflict is between Daemon and Rhaenyra ( historical technicality that people are talking about aside) , we have had a glimpse of their wedding in the previous teaser so what's with confusing the audience? and do you think Rhae Royce and Daemon-Rhaenyra's initial affair are omitted ?  because I can find no other reason for Corlys and Rhaenys to defend Daemon than Laena's marriage to him... whom I really hoped to see in this trailer(I'm not the only one who thinks Vaegar's rider in the beginning of the series must be a big deal ..right?)

lastly , I really hope this show manages characters and complex storylines well , they have real potential  and to be honest, I for one need a good Targ show after m' queen was put down like that!

I thought the characters were introduced well when introducing them for the very first time, panning over Viserys, Daemon, and Rhaenyra when they were introduced. It's not quite clear who Alicent is, I suppose, but there's a lot of spoilers relating to who she is.

I think spoiler culture is affecting the Daemon v Rhaenyra angle, which won't last that much after episode one. While Corlys may doubt Otto, I think that Rhaenys's angle is more 'Rhaenyra's succession will cause problems' as an objective assessment. 

I don't think I really saw the 'new order' thing as a platitude. If anything, it seems to either be a sign of Rhaenyra's naive optimism in her youth; or perhaps her self-centeredness. From how Alicent's been spoken about in promos as such, I don't think they'll make it quite as simple as her being an unambiguously good protagonist, even if (as natural) the Blacks will likely be presented in a more positive light.

The dialogue in other places is prosaic without being pretentious, like Viserys talking about his dream. I also loved Rhaenys talking to Alicent, and Otto and Alicent too. I also don't see much of an issue with focusing on the most dramatic moments during the trailer - we've seen Alicent and Rhaenyra's moments of initial friendship elsewhere, and I can't really remember an original GoT trailer that focused on people happily talking to one another. The tournament, for instance, is an example of a courtly celebration too. The civil war hasn't kicked off, but neither had it in GoT Season 1, where 'Who will sit the Iron Throne' was still a big part of the marketing.

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

I think spoiler culture is affecting the Daemon v Rhaenyra angle, which won't last that much after episode one.

I hope not. I hope they show them as having feelings for each other ... but also viewing each other as rivals for quite some time. It can be a great moment in the story when the ambitious uncle finally yields and says something along those lines: 'I submit. The chair is yours. You will be the queen if we marry, and I'll sit faithfully at your side.'

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

While Corlys may doubt Otto, I think that Rhaenys's angle is more 'Rhaenyra's succession will cause problems' as an objective assessment.

But a very odd statement there. If she wants a female monarch then the Velaryons could back her with all their power and their dragons ... which, at that point, means both the most and the largest dragons in Westeros. That alone should give any troublemakers pause.

But more importantly ... Rhaenyra isn't the granddaughter of a king whose father died prematurely, Rhaenyra is the only child and the favorite of her father when she is named heir. Viserys I has all the time and power in the world to make his subjects understand that this was the greatest idea a king ever had.

It only gets really complicated when Viserys I also has sons.

And it context there it feels like utter silliness that they give, apparently, Young Rhaenyra the line that her father as king should remarry. No, girl, if you want the throne for yourself ... and if your father wants you to be queen, then only you should marry, not your father. Never your father.

The impression we get is that the Rhaenys-Rhaenyra talk takes place around the time of Rhaenyra's investiture as Heir Apparent, not when the Alicent marriage is on the table nor when Rhaenyra has any half-brothers.

So if Rhaenys doubts that Rhaenyra can ascend the throne at all and tells her so ... then why on earth would Rhaenyra ever want her father to remarry? That could only complicate things.

(One way to resolve this could be a solemn promise between Alicent and Rhaenyra that Alicent and her children - sons and daughters - are going to always accept Rhaenyra as the next queen. A solemn promise that might then, eventually, be broken. Something like that could make the narrative work much better. And it might be somewhat reflected in Alicent's later talk about how Rhaenyra's ascension would cut them all off from power.)

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

I don't think I really saw the 'new order' thing as a platitude. If anything, it seems to either be a sign of Rhaenyra's naive optimism in her youth; or perhaps her self-centeredness. From how Alicent's been spoken about in promos as such, I don't think they'll make it quite as simple as her being an unambiguously good protagonist, even if (as natural) the Blacks will likely be presented in a more positive light.

I just think it is a very bad line because Rhaenyra most definitely not wanted 'a new order' or any such stuff. She didn't want any change at all. Her rise to the throne only means that she becomes queen, not that the position of (royal) women in general would be bettered.

Vice versa, it is also kind of silly that there is some kind of 'old order' in place who conspires to ensure there are no female monarchs.

Yes, Westerosi don't like female rule ... but Viserys' success would have had as much to do with the fact that people really loved his father Baelon, that he was the elder of the two main claimants, that he had a very winning personality, etc.

Laenor's ascension would have meant a regency government for a time, meaning less stability, more potential for strife and uncertainty.

They all seem to break it down to 'women must not possibly rule in this world' and that's just wrong.

So to talk about stuff I liked:

- Young Rhaenyra serving as cupbearer to the Small Council during the scene where the succession is discussed. It is great to see her act in that capacity, and possibly to also see how she learns something about rule in that way.

- That jewel snitching scene between Daemon and Young Rhaenyra which could be the scene where the nice uncle showers his favorite niece with that jewel from the Empress of Leng

Really try to find more but there isn't much.

Am not really awed by or interested much in the dragons, strangely enough, but I hope they give them some character. Especially, of course, Sunfyre, but also the others.

Looks good visually. But the dialogue seems stylized without much substance. It is a trailer though so who knows. 

The only line I liked was "now they see you." 

It was well executed and had some obvious subtext. Not mind-blowing but I like seeing the resentment birthed from deep history. It is clear they had something along the lines of a friendship given how well they know each other and can speak onto this shared familiarity (something F&B didn't touch on).  

My biggest complaints are these: 

1. The aesthetic is a monochromatic greyish-brown. Even with GOT there was a diverse color-palate to signify different locations. This might be more limited geographical speaking but I don't like the obsessive darkness. 

2. It looks like a rehash of the battle for the throne. Rhaenyra is given heavy Daenerys vibes, Alicent is much like Cersei (from the show), Otto is the new Tywin, and the concept of who wins the throne feels overdone. 

In the end bloodmoon was a more unique concept. Martin didn't like it but Martin is also exclusively producing Targaryen content with a heavy political lean. Something different would have been nice, but alas.  

38 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

In the end bloodmoon was a more unique concept. Martin didn't like it but Martin is also exclusively producing Targaryen content with a heavy political lean. Something different would have been nice, but alas.  

I haven't seen anything indicating that GRRM didn't like Bloodmoon. He hasn't even seen the cancelled pilot. According to the recent THR article, HBO simply felt that a show with Targaryens and dragons was a safer bet after the divisive reaction to season 8.

7 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I haven't seen anything indicating that GRRM didn't like Bloodmoon. He hasn't even seen the cancelled pilot. According to the recent THR article, HBO simply felt that a show with Targaryens and dragons was a safer bet after the divisive reaction to season 8.

He was quoted as saying the producers for this show had never read his books and that there was no written material for this era. As well he was campaigning for an alternative. 

All together I think it is safe to say he didn't want it. 

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I understand wanting to be optimistic about the show, but I find it odd how many people say that all the show needs to be great is to not have D&D involved. Like it or not, HBO signed off on everything. They defended every dumb decision and gave the Ds complete control over everything.

You're right that HBO is very culpable, but GRRM signed over the rights to GOT to D&D, not HBO. That's why when they wanted to end it and HBO wanted to keep going, they had no choice. If HBO owned the right they would've just replaced them. That was my understanding, I could be wrong. 

Thinking a little bit more on the Rhaenys angle, I'd really hate it if she was a character pushing for 'sisterly affection' or 'solidarity among women' ... which really is what you can draw from her lines, both from her role as mentor to Rhaenyra as well as from her talk with Alicent. I imagine the line is part of a conversation where Rhaenys tries to convince Alicent to support or at least not oppose Rhaenyra because she can do what 'the collective of women' should finally do. Prove that a woman can rule as well as man, etc.

They might actually try to model this thing on Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign and the hollow take that just being female is enough ... never mind policies or social background, etc. That would completely turn around the medieval monachistic setting.

Because in the end a (medieval) hereditary monarchy works differently than modern societies and actually does not put royal women in as bad a position as they are in more modern societies. Such women would *never* feel solidarity towards lesser women, just as a royal prince doesn't feel 'kinship' towards some peasant boy. And, of course, vice versa.

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen was born to the purple, the eldest grandchild of the Old King by his eldest son. She wanted the throne for herself and her children ... because it was her right as she understood it. If her father had ruled as king she or her grandchildren would have succeeded him. She had no brother, so it is only natural that she would think she should fulfill the role of son and heir for her father.

Once she had a son of her own - who was her second child - she switched to defending his rights, not her own ... nor, and that's pretty crucial, the rights of Laenor's elder sister Laena.

The idea that such a woman might consider somebody like Alicent Hightower as her equal because they were both women is pretty much ludicrous to me. I cannot possibly imagine that woman talking Alicent as if they had both the same right to dream about the Iron Throne. For Alicent Hightower it would be close to blasphemy to dream about sitting on the throne of Aegon the Conqueror ... whereas for Rhaenys and Rhaenyra this isn't some kind of presumptuous ambition. It is what members of their family do. They are born royalty, they are dragonriders ... while Alicent is effectively just an outsider who was taken into the family by a king who married for love. She is a queen consort and can never hope to be more than that.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Thinking a little bit more on the Rhaenys angle, I'd really hate it if she was a character pushing for 'sisterly affection' or 'solidarity among women' ... which really is what you can draw from her lines, both from her role as mentor to Rhaenyra as well as from her talk with Alicent. I imagine the line is part of a conversation where Rhaenys tries to convince Alicent to support or at least not oppose Rhaenyra because she can do what 'the collective of women' should finally do. Prove that a woman can rule as well as man, etc.

They might actually try to model this thing on Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign and the hollow take that just being female is enough ... never mind policies or social background, etc. That would completely turn around the medieval monachistic setting.

Because in the end a (medieval) hereditary monarchy works differently than modern societies and actually does not put royal women in as bad a position as they are in more modern societies. Such women would *never* feel solidarity towards lesser women, just as a royal prince doesn't feel 'kinship' towards some peasant boy. And, of course, vice versa.

Princess Rhaenys Targaryen was born to the purple, the eldest grandchild of the Old King by his eldest son. She wanted the throne for herself and her children ... because it was her right as she understood it. If her father had ruled as king she or her grandchildren would have succeeded him. She had no brother, so it is only natural that she would think she should fulfill the role of son and heir for her father.

Once she had a son of her own - who was her second child - she switched to defending his rights, not her own ... nor, and that's pretty crucial, the rights of Laenor's elder sister Laena.

The idea that such a woman might consider somebody like Alicent Hightower as her equal because they were both women is pretty much ludicrous to me. I cannot possibly imagine that woman talking Alicent as if they had both the same right to dream about the Iron Throne. For Alicent Hightower it would be close to blasphemy to dream about sitting on the throne of Aegon the Conqueror ... whereas for Rhaenys and Rhaenyra this isn't some kind of presumptuous ambition. It is what members of their family do. They are born royalty, they are dragonriders ... while Alicent is effectively just an outsider who was taken into the family by a king who married for love. She is a queen consort and can never hope to be more than that.

Lord Varys, I don't think you have much to worry about there. without context we cannot yet be sure but at least my understanding of those two scenes were quite different . first of all in her conversation with Rhaenyra which appears to be around the time R is anointed as heir , Rhaenys seems a little bitter as if she is saying " I couldn't be queen , what makes you think they let you be?" and her little smirk (order of things moment) is more mockery than sisterly heartwarming support.. maybe she starts liking Rhaenyra afterwards (hence , backing her claim later on besides the factor that she is her daugghter in law))  ... furthermore, considering Corlys supporting Daemon , I suspect Daemon is already married to Laena in that scene which makes Rhaenys and Corlys in favor of their own blood on the throne instead of female rule .(also, spurring Daemon and Laena as heir , could be replacing the part when Viserys spurred Laena as wife).  in the next scene where Rhaenys is talking to Alicent , Alicent's facial expression is more intimidated by Rhaenys than anything else ... I really read that as a "I know what you're up to" moment. obviously I might be completely wrong ... we should wait and see.

21 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Lord Varys, I don't think you have much to worry about there. without context we cannot yet be sure but at least my understanding of those two scenes were quite different . first of all in her conversation with Rhaenyra which appears to be around the time R is anointed as heir , Rhaenys seems a little bitter as if she is saying " I couldn't be queen , what makes you think they let you be?" and her little smirk (order of things moment) is more mockery than sisterly heartwarming support.. maybe she starts liking Rhaenyra afterwards (hence , backing her claim later on besides the factor that she is her daugghter in law))  ... furthermore, considering Corlys supporting Daemon , I suspect Daemon is already married to Laena in that scene which makes Rhaenys and Corlys in favor of their own blood on the throne instead of female rule .(also, spurring Daemon and Laena as heir , could be replacing the part when Viserys spurred Laena as wife).  in the next scene where Rhaenys is talking to Alicent , Alicent's facial expression is more intimidated by Rhaenys than anything else ... I really read that as a "I know what you're up to" moment. obviously I might be completely wrong ... we should wait and see.

Of course, all I write is with the caveat that I haven't seen the show so far. The context could be different, the interpretation could be wrong, etc.

Apparently there are reports that Rhea has been cast, so Daemon is likely neither married nor betrothed to Laena in 105 AC.

And it is not just Rhaenys-Rhaenyra and Rhaenys-Alicent ... but also Rhaenys and Corlys where she says that Rhaenyra being the heir is going cause people to draw their knives. That feels just wrong to me - both that she would say this, that she would care about Rhaenyra in this way, and that she would support her.

Rhaenys wants the throne for herself or for her son. Viserys naming a female heir could strengthen her position, could allow her and Corlys to challenge her ascension, stage a coup when Viserys died, and put Laenor on the throne instead of Rhaenyra. He is male, after all.

Has anyone else noted the similarity between Rhaenyra's line to Alicent ("Now they see you as you are.") and Jon Snow's line to Daenerys ("They will come to see you for what you are.")?

I know that's a sort-of common sentiment, but considering how picked apart Jon's line to Dany was in S7/S8 Discourse, I really wonder if it was purposeful? Since S8, people frequently make Dany/Rhaenyra comparisons (with Alicent/Cersei also being frequent), but since the show is going very #ProRhaenyra / #ProBlack, the writers could be trying to align the "winners" who see (Jon lived, Rhaenyra's son reigned) versus the losers who are seen (Dany died, Alicent's line died out).

A second note - I appreciate how they're trying to align the dispute as Rhaenyra vs. Alicent and Rhaenyra vs. Daemon. It can be built up more with the rumors of Alicent / Daemon having a fling at some point, and maybe young!Alicent has a crush on Daemon before she marries Viserys. Then, Daemon / Rhaenyra ending up together can be the sort-of twist around episode 8 or 9. It's no Baelor, but it's a potential nice surprise for non-book fans to learn the sides aren't what they are built up to be. If it's done right, that is.

Adding more thoughts because I'm rewatching again:

• I wonder if the stands for the tournament are going to replace the dragonpit in some scenes? They can explain why those stands weren't used in GOT by having the smallfolk destroying the stands in one of the riots. But it would be a good place for Jaehaerys' funeral, Aegon's crowning, and a few other public events that I forget but am pretty sure happened.
  • Looks like Criston Cole is pulling his sword out in front of Rhaenyra after the ceremony to make her the heir? She's in the same dress and I'm pretty sure that's not Dark Sister.
  • Did anyone ever figure out why they had a three-headed-dragon with arms and feet? I'm still seeing it some places.
  • I wonder what the orbs are that the small council have? Looks kind of odd, but maybe a voting mechanism?
  • I'm thinking the scene around 2:18 might actually be Viserys and Aemma? The woman looks pregnant, though it could be a trick of the light / dress? But Aemma was pregnant in the picture that's likely the Great Council, so maybe the show runners are condensing the timeline of 101-105 so that Aemma is pregnant during the Great Council, they discuss the matter of succession at one of the first Small Council meetings, then Daemon pulls the "Prince for a Day" stunt after Aemma's death? I'm really desperate for Aemma content, short as it may be.
  • Interesting that Rhaenyra might be crying when she's going head-to-head with Alicent. I wonder what that's about?

On 7/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, Lord Varys said:

Really have a bad feeling about the show at this point. The conflict as such is pretty cheesy - a rather pointless succession war - and there is essentially no subtlety in the trailer that I can detect. Nor do the characters appear to have very good lines.

But at this point it might be good to give us a glimpse of, say, a nice Alicent-Rhaenyra friendship scene or a nice Viserys-Rhaenyra father-daughter scene.

The impression you get is that this is a show about a monstrous civil war long before there is such a war.

There wasn't much subtlety in the first GOT trailer either, though. It opened with allusions about the threat beyond the wall, but the bulk was Robert's quote about the coming war, the threat of the "Targaryen girl," and the drama between the Starks and Lannisters. The closest to subtlety might be Ned's conversations with Bran (re cutting off people's heads) or Arya (re not fighting a war amongst ourselves). But even then, neither child is named, we only see Arya's ponytail, and those aren't the scenes that caught anyone's eyes.

It gave the impression is that GOT was a show about a monstrous invasion presence long before there is such an invasion.

Archived