Official House of the Dragon Trailer Released

Westeros

On 7/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, TormundsWoman said:

Must have watched this trailer 10 times already!

I never personally liked Daemon Targaryen but boy him and Caraxes seem to change my mind :blush: It may be the way Matt Smith looks the part.

Somehow Caraxes has more personality than any of the GOT dragons, which makes me really excited for the rest of the dragons. Because I finally feel safe to guess that they're going to make the dragons WOMDs with ~personalities~!!!

On 7/20/2022 at 8:06 PM, EggBlue said:

it's quite interesting that the trailer is showcasing it as if the conflict is between Daemon and Rhaenyra ( historical technicality that people are talking about aside) , we have had a glimpse of their wedding in the previous teaser so what's with confusing the audience? and do you think Rhae Royce and Daemon-Rhaenyra's initial affair are omitted ?  because I can find no other reason for Corlys and Rhaenys to defend Daemon than Laena's marriage to him... whom I really hoped to see in this trailer(I'm not the only one who thinks Vaegar's rider in the beginning of the series must be a big deal ..right?)

lastly , I really hope this show manages characters and complex storylines well , they have real potential  and to be honest, I for one need a good Targ show after m' queen was put down like that!

Historically (I say as if this is a real world thing), Corlys and Daemon were tight way before the Daemon / Laena marriage. The war for the Stepstones was around a decade before the were a pair.

I do think it makes sense to omit Rhea Royce and have the role at least somewhat filled by Mysaria instead. They can reasonably explain away why Daemon doesn't marry Mysaria because Viserys wouldn't approve, or he hopes to marry for an ally, or something. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, Vaith said:

I thought the characters were introduced well when introducing them for the very first time, panning over Viserys, Daemon, and Rhaenyra when they were introduced. It's not quite clear who Alicent is, I suppose, but there's a lot of spoilers relating to who she is.

Hopefully it alleviates your concerns if I point out that 2/3 the named characters in the first GOT trailer were dead by the end of the season (only Jon survived). It didn't name the Lannisters, Starks, Dany, Drogo, and Viserys only got "the Targaryen girl and her horselord husband," and the only children in the show were Bran, Theon in the background, and the back of Arya's head.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, Vaith said:

I think spoiler culture is affecting the Daemon v Rhaenyra angle, which won't last that much after episode one. While Corlys may doubt Otto, I think that Rhaenys's angle is more 'Rhaenyra's succession will cause problems' as an objective assessment. 

Rhaenys's angle could also play well into them making Rhaenyra's marriage more politicized. If she takes a "this will cause problems but our son could be her consort" angle, then it could be more of a plot point.

5 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

Hopefully it alleviates your concerns if I point out that 2/3 the named characters in the first GOT trailer were dead by the end of the season (only Jon survived). It didn't name the Lannisters, Starks, Dany, Drogo, and Viserys only got "the Targaryen girl and her horselord husband," and the only children in the show were Bran, Theon in the background, and the back of Arya's head.

Oh, I don't have concerns really. The writers consider the four principal characters of Season 1 to be Viserys, Daemon, Rhaenyra and Alicent, and they introduced three of them by name, explaining their relationships too. Alicent wasn't mentioned because, again, spoiler culture, but we got a hint of her role anyway with the "duty to marry again" line. So definitely a better use of cinematic language than GoT and its trailers.

9 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

There wasn't much subtlety in the first GOT trailer either, though. It opened with allusions about the threat beyond the wall, but the bulk was Robert's quote about the coming war, the threat of the "Targaryen girl," and the drama between the Starks and Lannisters. The closest to subtlety might be Ned's conversations with Bran (re cutting off people's heads) or Arya (re not fighting a war amongst ourselves). But even then, neither child is named, we only see Arya's ponytail, and those aren't the scenes that caught anyone's eyes.

It gave the impression is that GOT was a show about a monstrous invasion presence long before there is such an invasion.

True enough. I literally forgot the first GoT trailer.

But I'd have really liked it if the HotD thingy had more subtlety ... or rather would present itself in such a way. There is not going to be a big civil war in the first season, after all.

Archived