US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

4 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to post what I really feel...

So instead of tapping my chin and wondering about what kind of political (pity) benefits could be sopped up from the voting populace if a very old, generally liked if not approved of, civil servant were to ascend to heaven where his miserable job performance were no longer a cudgel with which to bash non-fascistic political figures... I won't. 

Just leavin' that here. Maybe someone with their dick permanently slotted into 538 would know better what kind of reactions could follow such a tragic, tragic, loss.

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mea Culpa.  

Of course you are correct.  It simply pisses me off when I see people blaming X when X has absolutely no control over Y.  Politics rewarding those who over promise… has always pissed me off.  That people don’t see that pisses me off… even more.

:grumble:

Really, it doesn't even come down to this. The thinking is almost entirely:

With Trump there were lots of bullshit things, but gas was cheap and inflation wasn't bad

With Biden there's less bullshit but inflation really sucks and gas is $5 a gallon.

Manchin, what they can get done, how they do it - most of that won't matter to a lot of people. 

20 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Really, it doesn't even come down to this. The thinking is almost entirely:

With Trump there were lots of bullshit things, but gas was cheap and inflation wasn't bad

With Biden there's less bullshit but inflation really sucks and gas is $5 a gallon.

Manchin, what they can get done, how they do it - most of that won't matter to a lot of people. 

Gas is at $3.55… in my locale.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Gas is at $3.55… in my locale.

I'm gonna guess it was like $2 6 months ago. Point stands even more, in that in your locale chances are good folks there drive SUVS and bullshit dick compensating big trucks. 

39 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I'm gonna guess it was like $2 6 months ago. Point stands even more, in that in your locale chances are good folks there drive SUVS and bullshit dick compensating big trucks. 

No.  It was more like $3.00.  And the truck folks drive me nuts

Gas is coming down though.  If it doesn't bounce up again in the next few months, it'll be higher than a year ago still (because the gas companies just can't let the prices go down they way they shoot up!), but it won't be above $4 in most places.  Again, it comes down to Dem messaging in the end.

Rigged cable news deals too?

MAGA cable channel One America News has been on life support since satellite provider DirecTV dropped the far-right conspiratorial network from its lineup this spring. It now looks like it may be DOA.

Verizon Fios, currently the largest pay-TV platform still carrying OAN, announced on Thursday afternoon that it had been unable to come to terms with the network’s owners on a new agreement and would no longer carry the channel after this month.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-right-channel-one-america-news-officially-dropped-by-verizon-fios?fbclid=IwAR1w2XC0VgAg5H48M2ehOtukHLu9ROT4LJWIEfe1LFmAIuOqzDm_fS9vk0Q

The Dems will almost certainly lose the House, but the red tide really isn't rising as of late.  And the former is because of inflation, not because Biden "overpromised" anything any more than literally any other presidential nominee in my lifetime. 

A buncha us compared notes on how we planned to watch tonight Jan 6 hearing.  It was hilarious that all of us in a bunch of 10 were watching on different platforms -- we all had Reasons for choosing the one we have chosen.  Most are watching streaming though; only three of us on an actual television.

All this talk of Hippogriffs when I worry about gas for my car… The Dems and Biden promised us non polluting forms of transportation and I only find out about it now.

And on another note and related to @Ormond’s post from the previous page, as expected the Dems see the upside of the Roe vs Wade reversal: 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/the-supreme-court-did-us-favor-democrats-seize-abortion-ruling-midterm-lifeline-2022-07-20/

I’m curious myself how much it will count against the inflation and gas prices. As even R women who may need abortion are affected by inflation and gas prices and many people R & D are indifferent to the reversal if it doesn’t affect them, I will be cynical and say it’s  probably going to count for less than what I’d like. 

I've only been able to follow the J6 hearing tonight through Twitter...but I get the impression the only reason Pence isn't testifying at this point is that he still thinks he can run for president, but doesn't want to admit he was in on all of it, but was double crossed...?

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've only been able to follow the J6 hearing tonight through Twitter...but I get the impression the only reason Pence isn't testifying at this point is that he still thinks he can run for president, but doesn't want to admit he was in on all of it, but was double crossed...?

It boggles -- the SS is the only thing that can save me, yet the SS was on its way to taking me out -- AND I KNEW IT SO WOULDN'T GET IN THE CAR.

5 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

Just leavin' that here. Maybe someone with their dick permanently slotted into 538 would know better what kind of reactions could follow such a tragic, tragic, loss.

Magnifique. *Chef's kiss*

I'd like to know more about why the Capitol police were so badly equipped initially, and who ordered them to act as they did etc. Maybe for the second season of The Hearings?

(I mean, I'm totally sure Mueller, er, Garland is on the case. Any day now...)

PS: It's really hard to not comment on "We still have the best sytem eva, and I pity all these other nations who don't have this fantastic system!"

PPS: My highlight was Josh Hawley running ... nice trolling there, Jan6 committee! (And everyone in the room of the hearing broke into laughter.)

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The narrative the J6C has been able to put together is damning as hell. I've questioned a number of decisions they've made along the way, but this is exactly how they needed to put the nail in the coffin. 

I enjoy Cheney dragging 45 at the end of each session. Gotta say, I don't think she likes him much.   

Just now, Martell Spy said:

They were trying to be speedy. Unlike the Uvalde police who need 8 squires each to get on their body armor before doing battle.

Yes, but I also vaguely remember that higher-ups (sec of Defense?) had some hand in this...

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Yes, but I also vaguely remember that higher-ups (sec of Defense?) had some hand in this...

It's simple, they were dealing with a white mob. Just go look at images of security during BLM protests. 

Archived