US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This isn't possible.  The new Senate cannot take up a bill passed by the House in the previous congress.

Drat.

Could they open both the house and the senate at the same time - then have the senate vote wait until after the new senate members are seated?  (Probably not)

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Could they open both the house and the senate at the same time - then have the senate vote wait until after the new senate members are seated?  (Probably not)

Nah.  Even if they tried, the obstacles to this are clear.  Not only would this SC (and frankly probably any SC) obviously strike the law down, but since it's a reconciliation bill MacDonough would rule the entire bill as extraneous during its Byrd Bath.  Not to mention if the GOP ever tried something like that these threads would be having a conniption.

13 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

"maximum" being the operative word... Apparently, he's a first time offender.

I know, right?  feh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Trump looked surprised when his supporters loudly booed him at an Arizona rally over his Congress endorsement"

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-donald-trump-booed-at-arizona-rally-over-congress-endorsement-2022-7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://adamsmith.wordpress.com/2022/07/23/msnbc-chris-hayes-focus-group-reveals-stunning-shift-in-trump-voters-after-jan-6-hearings/

Meanwhile, in Alabama - I figure conservative lawmakers will see nothing wrong with this:

Children as young as 12 have been working at a Hyundai-owned factory in Alabama, report says (msn.com)

• According to Reuters, children as young as 12 were reported to be working in a factory in Alabama. 
  • The report comes after the disappearance of a migrant girl who worked at the plant. 
  • A former employee told Reuters that to keep up with high demand, the factory would rely on migrant workers. 

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

I know, right?  feh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Trump looked surprised when his supporters loudly booed him at an Arizona rally over his Congress endorsement"

https://www.businessinsider.com/video-donald-trump-booed-at-arizona-rally-over-congress-endorsement-2022-7

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://adamsmith.wordpress.com/2022/07/23/msnbc-chris-hayes-focus-group-reveals-stunning-shift-in-trump-voters-after-jan-6-hearings/

^^^ Hope it's so, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Meanwhile, in Alabama - I figure conservative lawmakers will see nothing wrong with this:

Children as young as 12 have been working at a Hyundai-owned factory in Alabama, report says (msn.com)

• According to Reuters, children as young as 12 were reported to be working in a factory in Alabama. 
  • The report comes after the disappearance of a migrant girl who worked at the plant. 
  • A former employee told Reuters that to keep up with high demand, the factory would rely on migrant workers. 

In ten years making corporate property sovereign territories will be in the Republican platform. 

They'll probably get started on that right after they're finished nullifying what self-governance Native American lands still have. Y'know, for the lols and trolls.

Murdoch's New York Post dumps Trump, calling him "unworthy to be chief executive again"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/23/media/murdoch-trump-jan-6-new-york-post-wall-street-journal/index.html

New York (CNN)One of Donald Trump's favorite newspapers — controlled by his media ally Rupert Murdoch — says Trump is "unworthy to be this country's chief executive again."

Those words, in this weekend's New York Post, may be the tabloid's strongest critique of Trump yet.

Both newspapers have been noticeably more critical of Trump than Murdoch's biggest megaphone of all, the Fox News Channel, though close viewers have also picked up on some signs that Fox might be souring on Trump.

The right-wing network does not show his rallies any longer, for example. Potential 2024 presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, the Florida governor, was a featured guest on Fox while Trump held a rally on Friday night.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Murdoch's New York Post dumps Trump, calling him "unworthy to be chief executive again"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/23/media/murdoch-trump-jan-6-new-york-post-wall-street-journal/index.html

This is important if (but only if) it presages Fox News dumping Trump.  I'm highly doubtful that will happen because of the risk to their bottom line.  But one should pray for division amongst ones' enemies, and I do.  

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

This is important if (but only if) it presages Fox News dumping Trump.  I'm highly doubtful that will happen because of the risk to their bottom line.  But one should pray for division amongst ones' enemies, and I do.  

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Not really that surprising. The Murdochs don't back anybody, whom they consider bad for business. They can see the writing on the wall, that the orange one is finished. Ignoring the Jan 6th hearings is essentially damage control to shield other Republicans. If it was just about 45 they would report about it, but that's a problem for their entire right wing movement.

The reichs have been rabidly insane about Big Government, surveillance and Our Liberties and Freedom.

But they can't wait to do this stuff, which, have the reichs thought at all, can be equally used against all of Them too? i.e. being the very thing They think They are struggling to prevent happening?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/23/opinions/abortion-restriction-on-speech-and-travel-hemmer/index.html

Well, of course They haven't, because this won't happen to Them, the proper white woman hating god fearing jerkwaddies They are!

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

...But they can't wait to do this stuff, which, have the reichs thought at all, can be equally used against all of Them too?

This is exactly true, in that to be a good American citizen, you have to consider being on the wrong end of the stick in any proposed piece of legislation or executive action or court ruling.  Any action that is intended to be turned against an unpopular group or minority should be rejected - that is a key element of our Constitution.

These Trump Republicans don't seem to be able to hold the thought in their head that if they pass laws or get court rulings that are restrictive and anti-Constitutional, those same rules can be used against them at some time in the future.

President Eisenhower specifically chose Herbert Brownell because (despite being a white man and a Republican) he saw that desegregation was the way forward, based on the success and improvement in the services that resulted from military desegregation.

Same thing with sending the 101st Airborne to Little Rock - forbidding one group of Americans to get an education could be used against ANY group who were out of power.

Yet now Trump supporters somehow think that restricting travel and speech are perfectly fine.  I am just astonished that anyone in any party can gain a public platform to spout utter shite like this.

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This is exactly true, in that to be a good American citizen, you have to consider being on the wrong end of the stick in any proposed piece of legislation or executive action or court ruling.  Any action that is intended to be turned against an unpopular group or minority should be rejected - that is a key element of our Constitution.

These Trump Republicans don't seem to be able to hold the thought in their head that if they pass laws or get court rulings that are restrictive and anti-Constitutional, those same rules can be used against them at some time in the future.

President Eisenhower specifically chose Herbert Brownell because (despite being a white man and a Republican) he saw that desegregation was the way forward, based on the success and improvement in the services that resulted from military desegregation.

Same thing with sending the 101st Airborne to Little Rock - forbidding one group of Americans to get an education could be used against ANY group who were out of power.

Yet now Trump supporters somehow think that restricting travel and speech are perfectly fine.  I am just astonished that anyone in any party can gain a public platform to spout utter shite like this.

Friend-O, I'm 'bout to fix your incomprehension in ten words:

They do not intend to be out of power again.

There is a reason why they fear being treated like a minority in the US. After all, if there was anything wrong with it why would they fear that?

They cannot think of a world where the laws exist to punish them and help others. The laws always help them and punish others. That's what laws are for. That's what government is for.

Archived