US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

You know what else I've noticed creeping into conservative thought processes? Some sort of war on EVs, with the claim being that they'll burden the electric grid so much society will break down. Particularly at a time blackouts are a concern because of heat waves. Its all garbage of course, the adoption of EVs is nowhere near stressing the grid at all.

I've seen numerous unconnected posts on social media making the same point through meme form that I can almost guarantee this is some form of Turning Points astroturfing with some as yet undecipherable nefarious motive.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

You know what else I've noticed creeping into conservative thought processes? Some sort of war on EVs, with the claim being that they'll burden the electric grid so much society will break down. Particularly at a time blackouts are a concern because of heat waves. Its all garbage of course, the adoption of EVs is nowhere near stressing the grid at all.

I've seen numerous unconnected posts on social media making the same point through meme form that I can almost guarantee this is some form of Turning Points astroturfing with some as yet undecipherable nefarious motive.

I think it's just a recognizable part of the larger culture wars.  EVs are primarily purchased by people who care about the environment and climate change, and thus disproportionately democrats.  Ultraconservatives must demonstrate how much they hate democrats by hating EVs.  Plus EVs get govt support, and it is easy to whip up anger at spending money on something that are mostly used by Democrats, just like public transit or NPR.

Manchin says he and Schumer have a deal that includes energy, taxes
The apparent deal breaks a deadlock.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/27/manchin-schumer-senate-deal-energy-taxes-00048325

Joe Manchin says he and Senate Majority leader Chuck Schumer have reached a deal on a bill that includes energy and tax policy, a turnaround after the two deadlocked earlier this month in talks on Democrats’ marquee party-line agenda.

Manchin said in a press release that his agreement with Schumer “would dedicate hundreds of billions of dollars to deficit reduction by adopting a tax policy that protects small businesses and working-class Americans while ensuring that large corporations and the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share in taxes.”

34 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Alternatively, the public utilities could do regular hygiene and maintenance on their existing infrastructure, and make investments in the grid for the future.

Investment and planning seems to make more sense to me than closing our eyes to the coming needs and requirements for power.

Or everyone could just stick with the Texas model.

7 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/27/manchin-schumer-senate-deal-energy-taxes-00048325

I believe in it, once it is passed. 

Funding other, 'easier' candidates is stupid unless you have so much money that you can't spend it on anything else. I would much rather see that money going into more local races, more state races, and being used to promote and improve other candidates elsewhere - even if they're not winners - so that the bench is larger. 

Depth or rather lack of depth is not disqualification issue for parties in the US (or elsewhere tbf). Just look at any GOP primary. If you want to improve the political selection process, you better find a way to improve the quality of the electorate. 

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

the claim being that they'll burden the electric grid so much society will break down. Particularly at a time blackouts are a concern because of heat waves.

The manufacture of crypro currency, in order to opt out of a national currency, money system and thus taxes! puts no stress on either the power or internet connective at all, amirite?

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I really hope this passes.  It's not everything we wanted (at all), but it is a lot better than nothing.  370 billion on clean energy/climate change will make a difference.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

And here he is making more rounds with the press. At this point, he'll change his mind by the end of the week. 

2 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

I would much rather see that money going into more local races, more state races, and being used to promote and improve other candidates elsewhere - even if they're not winners - so that the bench is larger. 

The DCCC/DSCC funds can't go into "local or state races."  I know the FEC is toothless but that's blatantly illegal.  Could be allocated to "safe" districts for party building though, sure, 100% agree with that.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

370 billion on clean energy/climate change will make a difference.

Yeah that was the most (pleasantly) surprising thing about the details I've read so far.  That's not far off from the $500 billion in the deal he killed in December.  I'll be very happy if I'm wrong there, but like others I'll believe it when Manchin casts his yay vote on the floor.  Also, the article I read on the details noted Sinema refused to give an immediate comment...

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I really hope this passes.  It's not everything we wanted (at all), but it is a lot better than nothing.  370 billion on clean energy/climate change will make a difference.

The tax stuff is…head scratcher.  The carried interest stuff scores only $14 b and kicks in only in 2023.  You can do a lot in 12 months.  The corporate AMT is a great headline but based on the late unlamented BURP.  The JCT and Treasury know it has serious problems from a technical perspective.  It’s a great headline though.  I give it two years in force.

25 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

The tax stuff is…head scratcher.  The carried interest stuff scores only $14 b and kicks in only in 2023.  You can do a lot in 12 months.  The corporate AMT is a great headline but based on the late unlamented BURP.  The JCT and Treasury know it has serious problems from a technical perspective.  It’s a great headline though.  I give it two years in force.

Which is intentional. Democrats bow to their corporate overlords as well.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The DCCC/DSCC funds can't go into "local or state races."  I know the FEC is toothless but that's blatantly illegal.  Could be allocated to "safe" districts for party building though, sure, 100% agree with that.

How about allocating a pile of that cash to 'unsafe' districts for the same reason? Build up the D machine in supposedly safe R areas? Or does that give half the DCCC automatic heart failure?

Archived