US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

Just now, ThinkerX said:

How about allocating a pile of that cash to 'unsafe' districts for the same reason? Build up the D machine in supposedly safe R areas? Or does that give half the DCCC automatic heart failure?

Not sure what you're asking here.  Investing in safe Republican districts is exactly what I meant.  Investing in "unsafe" districts is what congressional campaign committees do already.

39 minutes ago, DMC said:

Not sure what you're asking here.  Investing in safe Republican districts is exactly what I meant.  Investing in "unsafe" districts is what congressional campaign committees do already.

My apologies, I thought you meant investing only in 'safe' D districts. Who knows? Maybe a few AOC type candidates can seriously rattle some R cages in a couple of those places, maybe even score a fluke victory.

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

My apologies, I thought you meant investing only in 'safe' D districts.

Ah, sorry, definitely meant safe R districts.  Investing in safe D districts doesn't make any sense.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I know the FEC is toothless but that's blatantly illegal. 

I haven't followed up on the issue in some time because real campaign finance reform is dead right now, but can't they just use pass throughs to redistribute the money regardless of how safe a district is or isn't?

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven't followed up on the issue in some time because real campaign finance reform is dead right now, but can't they just use pass throughs to redistribute the money regardless of how safe a district is or isn't?

Huh?  Lots of confusion tonight.  My comment you quoted had nothing to do with investing in US congressional districts, safe or otherwise.  Of course the DCCC can invest in any US congressional race.

I was saying the DCCC can't invest in local or state elections, i.e. city council, school board, or even gubernatorial campaigns.  That's what I thought Kal was referring to, but clearly I'm confusing things tonight.  I blame it on not getting high in six days now.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Huh?  Lots of confusion tonight.  My comment you quoted had nothing to do with investing in US congressional districts, safe or otherwise.  Of course the DCCC can invest in any US congressional race.

I was saying the DCCC can't invest in local or state elections, i.e. city council, school board, or even gubernatorial campaigns.  That's what I thought Kal was referring to, but clearly I'm confusing things tonight.  I blame it on not getting high in six days now.

Fuck that shit. It's because you've just been reintroduced to the element that is the air and sun of Florida, plus you are still recovering from a battle with a cactus. In swampy July. All around :ack:.

But to your point they don't have to directly invest in them. There's ways around that, if only we knew a tax attorney and an accountant... 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But to your point they don't have to directly invest in them. There's ways around that, if only we knew a tax attorney and an accountant... 

I mean, there are "ways around" everything when it comes to campaign finance, but this is getting away from the original topic.  Point is it's silly to blame the DCCC for not investing in local and state elections.  That's not its purpose.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, there are "ways around" everything when it comes to campaign finance, but this is getting away from the original topic.  Point is it's silly to blame the DCCC for not investing in local and state elections.  That's not its purpose.

Correct, their purpose is to:

while leaving as little as possible for those that really need it. Perhaps a better approach is needed. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Hey, maybe getting covid done changed the game...

You mean he's actually succumbed to the virus and they've replaced him with a eerily accurate android to take his place and finally start doing the right thing...??? Game changer!

7 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

You know what else I've noticed creeping into conservative thought processes? Some sort of war on EVs, with the claim being that they'll burden the electric grid so much society will break down. Particularly at a time blackouts are a concern because of heat waves. Its all garbage of course, the adoption of EVs is nowhere near stressing the grid at all.

I've seen numerous unconnected posts on social media making the same point through meme form that I can almost guarantee this is some form of Turning Points astroturfing with some as yet undecipherable nefarious motive.

People are scared of change. Especially as the big automakers start to come on board with EVs in a big way, and are annoucing firm plans to stop the production of combustion engine vehicles. But right now EVs are still massively supply constrained and it's projected they will be until at least 2030.

And it is true the grid will need to adapt to powering personal transport the world over. Projections are somewhere between 30-40% more generation will be needed. What is often missed is this is a transition which will happen over decades. If the world went to 100% EV sales right now - which there obviously isn't the capacity to do - it'd still be 5+ years until the majority of cars on the road were electric.

But yeah increasing power demand by 40% over 20-30 years isn't outside of historical norms. The challenge is doing it while also decarbonising the grid.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

while leaving as little as possible for those that really need it. Perhaps a better approach is needed. 

Those who really need it?  Those downtrodden congressional candidates that are just asking "please sir may I have s'more"?  The amount of money currently in federal elections is ludicrous, and even in this cycle Dems are outraising the GOP pretty much across the board.  If you want to blame anybody for not funding local and state elections, blame the donors.  This just seems like baseless whining against the "establishment."

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You mean he's actually succumbed to the virus and they've replaced him with a eerily accurate android to take his place and finally start doing the right thing...??? Game changer!

This was pretty much exactly my dad's theory when I mentioned it at dinner tonight.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

If you want to blame anybody for not funding local and state elections, blame the donors.

I did just a few posts ago, but that doesn't exempt leadership from blame concerning their top down money approach which has not succeed in building the necessary infrastructure natation wide. On some level that's been an active decision and it's a mistake.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I did just a few posts ago, but that doesn't exempt leadership from blame concerning their top down money approach which has not succeed in building the necessary infrastructure natation wide. On some level that's been an active decision and it's a mistake.

The DCCC and DSCC don't have a "top-down" approach to allocating funds, they focus on distributing the money to competitive races.  Which is of course intuitive.  Now, as mentioned, it'd be nice if they employed more of a 50 state strategy a la Dean when he ran the DNC in the 2006/8 cycles, but this is an age-old and decidedly minor complaint - that could be leveled at each party equally.  It's also (indirectly) the in-universe reason for why Rob Lowe/Sam Seaborn left West Wing.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Idiocracy is more applicable to today's politics than The West Wing. 

West Wing was never applicable to real life politics.  It's rather explicitly a liberal fantasy.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You do realize this will be the new conservative conspiracy theory in short order, right? I can almost envision one of the nuttier conservative congress-people spouting this off shortly, demanding Biden be tested - and nary a R voice raised in protest. (And for good measure, the imposter will be a 'reptoid.')

6 hours ago, DMC said:

West Wing was never applicable to real life politics.  It's rather explicitly a liberal fantasy.

And Fury Road seems to be both a conservative fantasy and where we're heading to. Ready to be the Doof Warrior?

23 hours ago, Maithanet said:

So what do people think about the decision by the DCCC to spend money to sorta support the far right candidate in MI-3?  For those who aren't aware, MI-3 is a Biden +9 district that is held by Republican Peter Meijer.  Meijer is moderate by Republican standards, but hardly anyone's idea of a moderate.  However, he was one of only 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump after the insurrection. .........

Democrats pulled a similar trick in Arizona and Pennsylvania governor's races, and in both cases the theoretically more beatable, but clearly anti-democratic candidates won.  This is a pretty questionable choice given that an anti-democratic governor in Arizona could cause a ton of chaos in 2024. 

This thread moves so fast -- but I hate this strategy as much as most of the others who have already commented.

I did want to point out though that if you are referencing this year's gubernatorial primary in Arizona, it hasn't quite happened yet, (it's August 2), so we don't yet know if the anti-democratic candidate is going to win there or not. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arizona-governors-primary-sets-gop-split-trump-pence/story?id=87345472

Archived