US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which is intentional. Democrats bow to their corporate overlords as well.

It’s dumb-a$$ policy because it will both (1) bring companies to market that might have otherwise waited and (2) cause non-economic transactions for tax reasons.  

But I will save my real vitriol to handing over tax policy for large corporations to FASB.  OMG.  

Why no, no-no-no, reproductive health care cannot be sliced or siloed off women's health care at all, in any way.  

Not, that is, if women are at all classified as people, people who then need to be considered and treated like full human beings, and have any healthy pregnancies to term, resulting in a healthy child that will live past birth.  This means even pediatric care -- particularly if raped while still a child.

But these ugly -- all are ugly -- old -- not all are old, see Gaetz -- white -- not all are White, see Thomas for instance -- men -- not all are men either, see Green -- know NOTHING about reproduction, nothing about women's physical systems, nothing about pregnancy, nothing about babies or children.  All they care about is making women servile, docile and subjugated as an entire class.  Killing is a good method. It's also cutting off their noses to spite their determination to increase White birth rate faces.

Trying To Slice Abortions From Health Care Spits In The Face Of 50 Years Of Medical Progress
The Supreme Court has not just turned back the clock on reproductive health. It’s done something worse. And we’re already seeing the impact.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/feature/abortion-health-care-50-roe-court

.... Far-Reaching Consequences
Even cancer treatment, a seemingly far cry from reproductive care, depends on abortion to afford its patients the right to treat their illnesses without worrying about the oftentimes toxic effect those treatments have on fetuses. 

Cancer occurs in about one in every 1,000 pregnancies annually, leaving the women with few options even while Roe’s protections were the law of the land. Many treatments can cause miscarriages or birth defects in the developing fetuses, especially at the beginning of the pregnancy. The CEO of the American Cancer Society said that radiation therapy is never given to pregnant patients at all. 

Ending their pregnancies, for these patients, can become a matter of literal life and death — the only way for women to receive the full gamut of treatment to cure their cancer. Now, in some states, women may have to choose: lifesaving treatment that will harm the developing fetus, or leaving their cancer untreated. 

Getty Images/TPM Illustration
Some pharmacists are already restricting patients’ access to methotrexate, a therapy for certain kinds of cancer that can induce abortions. Methotrexate is also used in treating ectopic pregnancies and, since the 1980s, soothing chronic inflammation and pain, making it a mainstay in treating diseases like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. The Arthritis Foundation has stood up a hotline amid reports of patients struggling to obtain the drug. 

Two other pills — mifepristone and misoprostol, the collective “abortion pill” approved by the Food and Drug administration for combined used through 49 days of gestation in 2000, and for longer now — are already being acutely targeted by anti-abortion lawmakers. There’s a long history of animosity towards mifepristone in particular, with the FDA baselessly categorizing it as dangerous for years. 

Those medications are indispensable in treating miscarriages, which at least one in four American women will have by age 45. Even before the Dobbs ruling, women have had to rely on abortion clinics for miscarriage treatment, often because of arbitrary limitations on who can distribute mifepristone. That problem has been compounded since the ruling by sparking confusion among some hospitals about whether other aspects of miscarriage care will be misconstrued by authorities as an elective abortion.    

“Management of miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies are things that were not really possible when abortion was illegal,” Schoen said. “Women in the middle of miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies were up shit’s creek — and people died as a result of that.” ....

I saw a headline at the Guardian this morning that said, "Machin reverses on climate/tax bill." Since the news of him changing his mind to support it broke last night, I assumed he had changed his mind again.

Extra note if people don't know how I feel about him: Manchin is a piece of shit.

I also saw a commentator mention, "This is safe for Manchin because now Sinema will likely tank it due to the tax increase."

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

This thread moves so fast -- but I hate this strategy as much as most of the others who have already commented.

I did want to point out though that if you are referencing this year's gubernatorial primary in Arizona, it hasn't quite happened yet, (it's August 2), so we don't yet know if the anti-democratic candidate is going to win there or not. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arizona-governors-primary-sets-gop-split-trump-pence/story?id=87345472

I would like to add (if someone else hasn't already) this seems to be how the Dem party responded to Trump's nomination in 2015. It was bad then, and funding these people is obviously even worse. BEST case scenario, some of these assholes are going to win. 

2 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I saw a headline at the Guardian this morning that said, "Machin reverses on climate/tax bill." Since the news of him changing his mind to support it broke last night, I assumed he had changed his mind again.

Extra note if people don't know how I feel about him: Manchin is a piece of shit.

I also saw a commentator mention, "This is safe for Manchin because now Sinema will likely tank it due to the tax increase."

Inside baseball says that JCT is being asked to focus on the corporate AMT to improve that legislative text (HAH!) rather than the carry proposal because the carry proposal is less likely to make it to the final bill.  But, that’s the sort of wild rumor and speculation that abounds every time stuff like this happens.  However, the carry only raises $14 b, and Sinema might be ok with the corporate AMT if she can deliver killing the carry proposal…..

On 7/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Maithanet said:

So what do people think about the decision by the DCCC to spend money to sorta support the far right candidate in MI-3?  For those who aren't aware, MI-3 is a Biden +9 district that is held by Republican Peter Meijer.  Meijer is moderate by Republican standards, but hardly anyone's idea of a moderate.  However, he was one of only 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump after the insurrection. 

Meijer is one of the most valuable Republicans in Congress because he can win in his relatively blue district.  But of course Trump hates him and is trying to get him replaced by John Gibbs, a sufficiently Trumpist candidate.  The DCCC thinks, reasonably, that Gibbs would be easier to defeat than Meijer, and thus are spending money on ads that Gibbs is "too conservative for Michigan".  This serves the double purpose of boosting Gibbs in the Republican primary, and hopefully poisoning the well against him in the general. 

But some people question whether Democrats should be interfering against someone who is pro-democracy and to support someone who is anti-democracy.  Democrats pulled a similar trick in Arizona and Pennsylvania governor's races, and in both cases the theoretically more beatable, but clearly anti-democratic candidates won.  This is a pretty questionable choice given that an anti-democratic governor in Arizona could cause a ton of chaos in 2024. 

Personally, I think that the Democrats should be doing what they can to defeat Meijer and his ilk, but supporting anti-democratic candidates is the wrong call.  2016 demonstrated clearly that bad candidates win sometimes and when they do, it is way worse. 

Meijer has the highest name recognition in the state, more people know of the Meijer family than even Whitmer, the Governor. 

They have for over 50yrs founded, owned and operated the state's largest and most popular chain of superstores (Walmart-ish) and have some serious resources.

I don't think anyone is beating a Meijer in that state, a strategy to oppose him is a collosal waiste of funds. That's a strategy only a non Michigan native could have come up with imo, it would be far smarter to not spend a dime on a losing cause for that primary.

The majority of voters are gonna vote a Meijer over something called a Gibbs that no one has ever heard of. People love Meijers and the Meijers brand in a major way over there.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

But these ugly -- all are ugly -- old -- not all are old, see Gaetz -- white -- not all are White, see Thomas for instance -- men -- not all are men either, see Green -- know NOTHING about reproduction,

And let's not forget the role a traitorous woman named Collins plays in these attacks on female bodily autonomy. She sealed that reputation when she voted to install one of the latest religious fanatics to our Supreme Court.

We should never forget she voted "Yes" on the rapist Kavanaugh. Her dirty hands are all over Roe being overturned no matter how she'd love to spin it.

2 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I was going to ask, Do we know what Sinema is going to wear when she says nope?

Well...given how slimmed down this version of the BBB is, and that Manchin and Murkowski get along, would tossing a giant piece of pork in Murkowski's direction for her vote be altogether out of the question?

For that matter are there any retiring or sane R senators who might go along with this were enough goodies tossed in their direction?

24 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Well...given how slimmed down this version of the BBB is, and that Manchin and Murkowski get along, would tossing a giant piece of pork in Murkowski's direction for her vote be altogether out of the question?

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  Congratulations!  This is th 100th time you've asked this question!  You win.......a trip to West Virginia!!!  :P

27 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

For that matter are there any retiring or sane R senators who might go along with this were enough goodies tossed in their direction?

No.  No Republican is voting for tax increases, including Murkowski.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

And let's not forget the role a traitorous woman named Collins plays in these attacks on female bodily autonomy. She sealed that reputation when she voted to install one of the latest religious fanatics to our Supreme Court.

Well, I was randomly grabbing single name examples out of the hosts available among White men, men not so White and women -- so I just grabbed Marjorie Taylor Green.  I apologize for picking the wrong woman.  :cheers:

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well, I was randomly grabbing single name examples out of the hosts available among White men, men not so White and women -- so I just grabbed Marjorie Taylor Green.  I apologize for picking the wrong woman.  :cheers:

There are so many you weren't wrong.  Let's not the forget the highly qualified  Amy Conen Barrett the Stepford Wife jurist rushed through her confirmation hearing and who truly danced a beautiful tango around the RvW issue.  

52 minutes ago, LongRider said:

There are so many you weren't wrong.  Let's not the forget the highly qualified  Amy Conen Barrett the Stepford Wife jurist rushed through her confirmation hearing and who truly danced a beautiful tango around the RvW issue.  

"Oh, God.  Amy Coney Barrett. How she loves to dance. She waltzes in and takes all my drugs, then tangos back out again."

It is legit to move to a new town / state to pursue a political career. My father did it, with some success. I guess the real question is whether Oz actually has moved. My father didn't use the address of another family member to claim residence, he upped sticks and moved us all to the new town - when I say us, I wasn't born yet, so I was born a "native" of that town - to follow his ambitions. Took my Mum away from all her family and childhood friends. Still it lead to a transformational change in my family for which we will be eternally grateful, which had absolutely nothing at all to do with my father's political ambitions or short career.

Archived