US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

The chorus is getting deafening.

Yet another major newspaper calling out Garland, with the LA Times warning that "Garland is dangerously close to proving the President is above the law."

https://news.yahoo.com/column-donald-trump-dangerously-close-100035161.html

I hope Garland never knows a moment's peace if he fails to perform his duties and prosecute the former President for each and everyone of his crimes.

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yet another major newspaper calling out Garland, with the LA Times warning that "Garland is dangerously close to proving the President is above the law."

I hope Garland never knows a moment's peace if he fails to perform his duties and prosecutes the former President for each and everyone of his crimes.

The guy got the job as some kind of consolation prize for not getting a SC hearing. I thought at the time that that was the most fuckwitted shit I'd heard since Bill Polian said Lamar Jackson should play wideout. Like, what was the thought process here? 

"He got screwed over so let's give him the most important job in the world right now even though he was specifically picked by Obama because he's kindly to conservatives."

Fuck Creaky Joe Biden. Fuck Democrats. Fuck whatever newspaper that thinks their digital ink is worth the sweat in my socks at the end of a hike. Merrick Garland isn't like the cause of liberal suffering, but he's practically an object lesson in why it never stops.

4 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

"He got screwed over so let's give him the most important job in the world right now even though he was specifically picked by Obama because he's kindly to conservatives."

Well, let's face it, he was also chosen because Biden wasn't keen on prosecuting Trump either.  Plus it opened up a seat for KBJ.  Plus guaranteed and easy confirmation...

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, let's face it, he was also chosen because Biden wasn't keen on prosecuting Trump either.  Plus it opened up a seat for KBJ.  Plus guaranteed and easy confirmation...

Which is also not excusable. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Which is also not excusable. 

Yeah that's kinda my point.  If you're pissed about not prosecuting Trump, ultimately the blame is on Biden.  "The buck stops here" and all that.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah that's kinda my point.  If you're pissed about not prosecuting Trump, ultimately the blame is on Biden.  "The buck stops here" and all that.

And that's why a super majority of Dems don't want him to run again, yet all signs seem to be he'll do just that. 

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that's why a super majority of Dems don't want him to run again, yet all signs seem to be he'll do just that. 

Well, that's kinda misleading.  Biden's unpopularity and Dems' distaste for a second term has little to nothing to do with not prosecuting Trump.  Anyway, we'll see after the midterms, I don't think "all signs" point to anything as of yet.  Granted, he's maintained he plans on running, but he probably should do that up until the midterms even if he plans on not running.

JFC!

Just a little reminder to North Carolinian Chik-Fil-A's.

Your folksy innovation to pay workers in damn chicken grease is completely illegal, scabby and in violation of labor laws!

Pay workers in money not bread fried chicken, WTF IS WITH WRONG PEOPLE?

"North Carolina Chick-fil-A faces backlash for offering to pay ‘volunteer’ workers in chicken sandwiches"

https://nypost.com/2022/07/30/chick-fil-a-faces-backlash-for-offering-north-carolina-volunteer-workers-chicken-sandwiches?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

Eta: And it's not like this is some Andy Griffith Ma&Pa operation, Chick-Fil-A sponsors a bowl game or stadium or some chit, they are near a Fortune 500 status operation!

13 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

JFC!

Just a little reminder to North Carolinian Chik-Fil-A's.

Your folksy innovation to pay workers in damn chicken grease is completely illegal, scabby and in violation of labor laws!

Pay workers in money not bread fried chicken, WTF IS WITH WRONG PEOPLE?

"North Carolina Chick-fil-A faces backlash for offering to pay ‘volunteer’ workers in chicken sandwiches"

https://nypost.com/2022/07/30/chick-fil-a-faces-backlash-for-offering-north-carolina-volunteer-workers-chicken-sandwiches?utm_source=drive&utm_campaign=android_nyp

Eta: And it's not like this is some Andy Griffith Ma&Pa operation, Chick-Fil-A sponsors a bowl game or stadium or some chit, they are near a Fortune 500 status operation!

:angry2:

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I hope Garland never knows a moment's peace if he fails to perform his duties and prosecute the former President for each and everyone of his crimes.

Meanwhile, the so-called liberal mainstream media are telling us that

a) he'll never get imprisoned (true)

b) he'll get sued for the rest of his life and that'll be totes new and awful for him and

c) he'll get bankrupted because of civil suits (what's new), which will apparently mean he'll be "penniless" (yeah, right) and

d) losing money will be totes worse for him than being imprisoned! Yay! (Seriously...)

2 hours ago, DMC said:

If you're pissed about not prosecuting Trump, ultimately the blame is on Biden.  "The buck stops here" and all that.

As we recall said earlier this month --

Not prosecuting Trump for Jan. 6 would fuel a 'much graver threat,' Liz Cheney says
A criminal case could be “difficult” but necessary, Cheney said on "This Week

This is the stuff about which some of us have been explaining and warning since Reagan already, when 'our sorts' have done nothing but laugh scornfully at how stupid and ignorant and dumb They are. Never ever neglect to believe They do / will do everything They say They want to / will / are doing.

Yes, Republicans really did try to make abortion punishable by death
A bill introduced in the North Carolina legislature last year was largely performative but was part of the right’s strategy to make the unthinkable mainstream

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/30/republicans-abortion-punishable-by-death

.... even though the bill was largely performative, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taken seriously. The far right constantly introduce extreme bills like this into state legislatures with the full knowledge that there is zero chance they will pass. It’s part of a broader strategy to further their agenda that can be summed up as exhaust and inure. Exhaust: the more they overwhelm legislatures with extreme legislation, the harder it becomes for liberals to fight them. It becomes a game of “Whac-a-Mole”. Inure: proposing extreme ideas like this via legislation helps gradually desensitize people and shifts the Overton window to the right; step by step the unthinkable becomes mainstream.

All this isn’t just my personal opinion, by the way: it’s extracted from a playbook written by Christian nationalists. A few years ago a researcher called Frederick Clarkson uncovered an initiative from a coalition of far-right Christian groups called Project Blitz that gave their supporters detailed instructions on how to codify their views into law and gradually destroy the division between church and state. I highly recommend reading Clarkson’s writings on Project Blitz: they are essential for understanding the current moment. As Clarkson said when he first found the playbook: “It’s very rare that you come across a major primary source document that changes the way you view everything, and this is one of those times. This is a 116-page strategy manual hidden away on a website explaining at least what a section of the religious right are doing in the United States.”

Bills like the one in North Carolina, it can’t be stressed enough, are not just frivolous one-offs by extremists. They’re part of a coordinated – and highly effective – strategy to consolidate power by the right. Democrats should really be paying more attention to these tactics and learning from them. So many centrists are afraid that suggesting things like free healthcare will make them look like radicals hellbent on bringing communism to America. You think the right care about looking “radical”? Of course not. They care about power. And they’re very good at doing whatever it takes to get it. 

South Carolina bill outlaws websites explaining how to get an abortion
Want another example of that “Whac-a-Mole” strategy in action? South Carolina state senators recently introduced legislation that would make it illegal to host a website or “[provide] an internet service” with information that is “reasonably likely to be used for an abortion”. This is incredibly far-reaching language that means even news stories related to reproductive rights could be censored. This bill is unconstitutional and it’s not clear that it will be law anytime soon. But, again, that doesn’t make it any less worrying. As one expert told the Washington Post: “These are not going to be one-offs. These are going to be laws that spread like wildfire through states that have shown hostility to abortion.”....

As others have noticed, Alito's freedom of religion is immiseration and death for women.

2 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Sinema starting to indicate she won't vote for the Machine bill of republicans aren't allowed to make changes to it. Like I said, Machin doing a 180 was.completely safe for him, he knew she'd step up to the plate.

I mean, I'm as skeptical/worried Sinema will kill the deal as you are, but the news today is perfectly consistent with what she's said since Manchin and Schumer announced the deal - she remains noncommittal.

Archived