US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

Hum, I am probably the only one who has different set of questions evolving from this story.

Since it involves ghoulish stuff, the dead and golf...

Ty, do you have a drink after hole in one on Ivana, there? What's the custom in golf for that?

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're forced to drink Trump brand vodka. 

Thank you, I knew you were the authority on dead women and golf.

But thinking about it. It makes sense, since Trump Golf Courses and Trump resorts are probably the only places on earth, where you can still buy it.

But another practical question, about the salutes. How many shots are being taken from the driving range on the day of the funeral in her honor? What's the golf custom there. Knowing the Trumps, they will probably charge extra for the honor. 

Age of Manchinema

Sinema's office says she's still reviewing Manchin's bill. How long will Democrats have to wait until she breaks her silence on it? If there's one thing Sinema loves more than Wall Street dollars, it's national media attention. So it could be a while.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/08/01/carried-interest-loophole-age-manchinema

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Thank you, I knew you were the authority on dead women and golf.

Don't for get tacos! 

But another practical question, about the salutes. How many shots are being taken from the driving range on the day of the funeral in her honor? What's the golf custom there. Knowing the Trumps, they will probably charge extra for the honor. 

One for each sexual assault allegation against Trump, including Ivana's. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

One for each sexual assault allegation against Trump, including Ivana's. 

Hope you have an ambulance on hand to treat the alcohol poisoning!   

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Hope you have an ambulance on hand to treat the alcohol poisoning!   

I took that to mean shots on the driving range, not booze. But guess what, no ambulance needed if you die at Trump's golf course cemetery!!!

Look on the bright side, if you have another of that Trump anti-freeze, you won't feel that much pain from getting pelted by the golf ball salute from the driving range.

On a semi-related note. Trump Hospitals. I am surprised they haven't tried their hands to make money there. The best health care, the best doctors, the best mal practice lawyers in the world.

US kills al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in drone strike in Afghanistan

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/politics/joe-biden-counter-terrorism/index.html

(CNN)The United States killed al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in a drone strike, a senior administration official told reporters on Monday.

Zawahiri, who just turned 71 years old, had remained a visible international symbol of the group, 11 years after the US killed Osama bin Laden. At one point, he acted as bin Laden's personal physician.
Zawahiri was sheltering in a safehouse in Kabul, according to the official, and was killed in "a precise tailored airstrike" using two Hellfire missiles. The drone strike was conducted at 9:48 p.m. ET on Saturday was authorized by President Joe Biden following weeks of meetings with his Cabinet and key advisers. No American personnel were on the ground in Kabul at the time of the strike.

A bit of local politics, but I'm surprised Samuels received the Star Trib's endorsement over Omar. She'll still win, but I think there's a lot of of Dems in the district who are growing tired of Omar for the exact reasons I laid out before she was elected in 2018. She's polarizing, doesn't actually do much in the district and is largely a ghost. Samuels OTOH is very much a local activist and has been running an actual campaign (again, Omar is nowhere to be seen). 

Also, I still find it funny that Royce White is running to beat her. He's in no way qualified for the position, but I always find it interesting to hear him talk about mental health and sports given his very unique experience.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just voted in the Michigan primary - all strategic votes for Republican candidates since there wasnt much point in me voting for any D's (most uncontested, or it wouldnt matter too much who I voted for).

Out of curiosity, are you voting for Republicans who are easier to beat or Republicans who would be less disastrous if they win?

Both.

Locally, this district (I mean state house and senate) is strongly Republican so whoever gets the nomination will probably (sadly) win. So for state house I voted for a pro-choice Republican and for state Senate I voted against the incompetent Republican who is currently my state house representative, if that makes sense.. The other candidates may be equally terrible, but she was a known garbage candidate so I chose one of the others at random.

For US House, I left it blank because I want Dan Kildee to win in an R+1 district, and I didnt know enough about the clowns running against him to make a judgement there.

For governor, since local politics dont matter I chose the most cuckoo Republican candidate out there, which is probably Tudor Dixon based solely on the fact that Trump endorsed her.

One of the other candidates with a more milquetoast name (Ryan Kelley, a more whitebread name does not exist in the galaxy) was arrested for allegedly being part of the Capitol riots, and yet another (Soldano) has gone full in with the Big Lie about 2020.

Dixon has waffled a fair bit on the 2020 election, so I feel good about my choice in not having voted for someone actively involved in sedition or conspiracy theories. She's only guilty of being a hypocrite (and well, a GoP candidate)

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wait a sec. You have somebody named Tudor Dixon? I mean, there is actually a person named Tudor Dixon out there?

Sir, Michigan is truely a place of marvel.

The only big surprise about the name to me is that she was born in Naperville, Illinois instead of the South. This sounds like a usual "southern Preppy" female name to me. 

One of the other candidates with a more milquetoast name (Ryan Kelley, a more whitebread name does not exist in the galaxy) was arrested for allegedly being part of the Capitol riots, and yet another (Soldano) has gone full in with the Big Lie about 2020.

I suppose "Ryan Kelley" seems "whitebread" to someone of your generation, but Ryan was really rare as a given name before Ryan O'Neal became famous. I don't know anyone my age with Ryan as a first name so it still seems youthful and semi-hip to me. :)

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

The only big surprise about the name to me is that she was born in Naperville, Illinois instead of the South. This sounds like a usual "southern Preppy" female name to me. 

Really? I must admit, that name had two surprises for me.

One that it is actually a given name. But then again, you Americans have been a lot more open to rather unconventional names. 

The second surprise was that it is a female name. The first thing that comes to my mind, when I hear the name Tudor is Henry VIII with his six wives (Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived). So not really a lucky name for a woman in my book. So yeah, I just assumed Tudor Dixon was a guy. To be fair, the second thought (when IHT used the female pronoun) was, oh, right, his daughter Elizabeth I, first Queen of England. And one of the few actual western female rulers. But then again, the conventional Elizabeth would serve at least as well, if that's the idea. 

Archived