US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

52 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Romney, Shelby, Tillis, and Toomey are not usual dead-enders (neither is Crapo really, he often votes with leadership). I haven't closely the bill at all; but this makes me think that there is something actually objectionable from a conservative (as opposed to asshole) point of view in the bill text.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Romney, Shelby, Tillis, and Toomey are not usual dead-enders (neither is Crapo really, he often votes with leadership). I haven't closely the bill at all; but this makes me think that there is something actually objectionable from a conservative (as opposed to asshole) point of view in the bill text.

Counterpoint: They're all assholes. 

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

Pretty sure it was cuz Toomey's bullshit amendment got voted down.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Any of our usual pundits want to take a stab at what the Kansas “No” win suggests for November?

Who knows, but getting voted down 60/40 (which is where it's at now with 88% reporting) in Kansas -- during a primary election -- is certainly a good sign.

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Any of our usual pundits want to take a stab at what the Kansas “No” win suggests for November?

Seems like overturning Roe might not be the slam dunk Republicans thought it would be...?

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

Who knows, but getting voted down 60/40 (which is where it's at now with 88% reporting) in Kansas -- during a primary election -- is certainly a good sign.

As I posted on FB, even Kansas told the Supreme Court to:

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

The only reason people still remember 'enery 8 is because his daughter is Elizabeth Tudor -- Elizabeth I -- and her incredibly successful reign.

~~~~~~~~

As for mistaking what Mormont (and DMC) wrote here at that moment, the opening words were on the order of 'this isn't of much interest to me,' or, 'this isn't of interest to me' -- which then were construed as to why the abortion discussion was being told shut down or requested to be shut down. Whatever.  But what we all know for certain is that abortion > politics in the USA isn't going to irrelevant for the next 50 years anymore than it hasn't been irrelevant for the last 50.  Or, OTOH, in a few years elections will be a thing of the past and this will be an opus dei white supremacist nationalist state, so enjoy while we can.

One of those moments, where I am genuinely sure, whether you are serious or not. (I assume, it's something in between).

Henry was a very consequential ruler. The split from the Catholic Church and the establishment of the Church of England, that was his long lasting legacy. That he did it, so he could divorce from his first wife in his quest for a male heir to succeed brings us sorta back to his six wives. Something, something, Wolsey and Cromwell. Amen.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

I think this was an easy vote for Kansans. Had the vote been about also not voting for Republicans, we'd see different results. 

Peter Meijer lost his primary to Gibbs, and had some choice words for Democrats in an online essay. Cant say I blame him, being rejected by his party for doing the right thing is one thing, but for the Democrats to pour money into this campaign was hot garbage. They should have pushed for more Meijer's in Congress, not less (not to mention the principle of the whole thing)

Since Michigan is an open primary, literally all you had to do is ask Democrats to vote for Gibbs, and they would do it for free. However, I guess they were swimming in money and had plenty of it to burn.

I agree with this 100%.  Trump may not even run in 2024, and if he does, he may not win the primary and would probably be an underdog in the general.  Trump is very defeatable. 

But Trumpism - the embrace of lawlessness and conspiracies on our electoral processes is rampant and it is almost impossible to stop.  Even if Democrats have a better than expected 2022 midterm, there will still be at least some Republicans who embrace the Big Lie in key positions like governor, SoS, AG and election boards across the country.  While in the 90s and 00s court challenges were only something that occurred in very close races, they will now be par for the course.  And with the underlying mechanisms of our democracy often favoring Republicans (Supreme Court, state legislatures, electoral college, electoral college tiebreaker, etc), it is hard to be optimistic about the future of American democracy. 

Holy cow!  Even by every unfair means and foul, the Kansas forced birth shoggoths lost -- and I do mean every foul means was used.  Recall here earlier, when people said they couldn't even make sense of the amendment?  This was deliberately worded so that one wouldn't even know, that to vote no . As Heather Cox Richards writes in her Substack:

... they had written the question so that a “yes” vote would remove abortion protections and a “no” would leave them in place. Then, today, a political action committee sent out texts that lied about which vote was which.

They can never win, fair and square.  They lie, They cheat, They intimidate, They prevent people from voting at all.  That's how They do it.

~~~~~~~~~

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Henry was a very consequential ruler.

:rofl: One of those moments, where I am genuinely unsure, whether you are serious or not, that you can even imagine an historian, even one whose specialty is New World Slavery in all its hideous length, breadth, and toxic, destabilizing effects globally into the very present doesn't know anything about Henry 8 or particularly his horrible horrible father, the Winter King, or, well anything to do with the Tudor dynastic coup? Which quickly, quickly failed, folded into the wars of religion and the thoroughly feckless and foolish Stuart dynasty and domestic revolution.  Such a rapid plunge from the glories of the reign of Gloriana! (who, if she herself didn't invest in the early African slave trade, certainly made purse out of licensing 'privateers.')  :crying:

10 hours ago, LongRider said:

Guess they need to pray harder.

They now need to crack down harder, and start, finally, out-and-out committing vigilante witch burnings of all women who lift up their heads from servile downcast overt expression of subjugation to all (White!) men all the time. As opus dei scotus says, "So be it that my freedom of religious freedom belief means women have to die so what."

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I think this was an easy vote for Kansans. Had the vote been about also not voting for Republicans, we'd see different results. 

I agree. I am not an analyst or pundit but looking at the numbers and votes, for the total vote on the amendment I count total 908K votes with 534K for not adopting the amendment and 374K for adopting it.

Let's just assume all 374K are republican votes. That simply means that the total 450K R votes cast for the republican primary Gov race, 461K votes cast in the republican AG race and 463 for US senate allows for an average of approx 85K conservative people who either didn't vote for adopting the amendment or chose to not cast a vote on that issue.

85K from a total average total cast vote of 460K in those republican three races means 18% of those voters. That is a big chunk of republicans who chose to vote repub but not for abortion. I'm of course assuming all who voted in those races are in fact of republicans not dem voters trying to stir the pot somehow.

15 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I mean no one has thought about exactly how to document that - maybe you must file your sonogram? What if you lose the pregnancy? What if you lose three pregnancies during a taxable year (9,000 ftw!)?  What about those poor people who conceive and give birth all in one year?!?  They lose out.  Child doesn’t and can’t have a SSN, so this is quite interesting in terms of how to substantiate the deduction.  If GA wants rampant tax fraud, well, bless their HEARTS, this is a fantastic way to erode their tax base, I would think.

I'm actually following to see what exactly what and how they do it. In my opinion it will be lower income people who'd report being pregnant to get the 3000 for fetus deduction, so if they have a miscarriage and /or abortion later somewhere out of state it will be horrifying to be "in the system" or get in trouble somehow for that because you already told the state you are in fact pregnant. I understand the tax dept doesn't just give out your tax return, still... I just don't see good happening out of this. Also, in GA they the largest number of state income tax audits happen also to people who receive welfare and refunds if I'm not mistaken, I think I saw a documentary stating that. So in general, it looks pretty bleak to me.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I guess they were swimming in money and had plenty of it to burn.

Ya, as if the reichlicans don't have oceans and seas of fula -- unless romperisto's family somehow gets their hands on it, then, well, it's down an invisible romperito rabbit hole forever and ever.

Archived