US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

36 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Indiana Rep. Jackie Walorski (R) has been killed in car crash. https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/03/politics/jackie-walorski-died-indiana-republican/index.html

Trying to keep a running tally here - does this make four open R federal congressional seats this time around? Or is it five? I'm wondering if any are potential D pickups.

If there was Justice, any at all, this evil Alex Jones should go to prison for life, to live in gen pop where everyone knows he profited directly to the tune of millions and millions from the murder of children and the persecution of their parents, turning their lives, already hell, into a hell where his followers were attempting to harm and even kill them and the other members of their families.

There is no center for dealing with these Ilks, and No Common Ground, either Jones, his minions or his followers who did his bidding to harrass, torture and threaten the parents.

Just now, Zorral said:

If there was Justice, any at all, this evil Alex Jones should go to prison for life, to live in gen pop where everyone knows he profited directly to the tune of millions and millions from the murder of children and the persecution of their parents, turning their lives, already hell, into a hell where his followers were attempting to harm and even kill them and the other members of their families.

Well it appears he may have committed perjury so there's still hope.

4 charts that show just how big abortion won in Kansas
More people turned out than in any primary in Kansas history — and that could happen elsewhere, too.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23290714/kansas-abortion-referendum-primary-turnout-charts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well it appears he may have committed perjury so there's still hope.

And he was proved he was doing it even right that minute under oath, on the stand, testifying.

Adding: David Simon just weighed in with words to the effect, "If my writers room came up with something like this, they'd have been fired."

4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

How does a legal team accidentally send damning evidence to their opposition?

Jones’s face when the lawyer drops the hammer indicates that he does, in fact know the truth from a lie and he knows that he is fucked. He is a scammer and liar, he knew exactly what he was doing.

If there were a God, it shouldn’t mess about when handing out divine retribution, melt the fucker where he stands. No shocks, he is a monster not a lab rat.

Is it possible that this is a ploy to later claim he got bad representation?

Lol this is becoming more like a soap opera/ crime series than anything Law & Order may have scripted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/alex-jones-cell-phone-jan6-committee-subpoeana-1392270/

I am beginning to think AJ lawyers did it on purpose. Who knows what they found there about other stuff and they were afraid to hide (?) Mistakes like this are just too unbelievable.

Edit: NBC News and MSNBC political correspondent says:

Different approach on how he calculated the Repubs who voted “no” on the Kansas amendment but around the same ballpark number. 89k according to him vs my 85k. 

I kinda hope they’d do a referendum of some sort on this now. Maybe that will wake the Rs up to the reality of their own fanbase not being on the whole on board with this. 

14 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

Lol this is becoming more like a soap opera/ crime series than anything Law & Order may have scripted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/alex-jones-cell-phone-jan6-committee-subpoeana-1392270/

I am beginning to think AJ lawyers did it on purpose. Who knows what they found there about other stuff and they were afraid to hide (?) Mistakes like this are just too unbelievable.

Edit: NBC News and MSNBC political correspondent says:

Different approach on how he calculated the Repubs who voted “no” on the Kansas amendment but around the same ballpark number. 89k according to him vs my 85k. 

I kinda hope they’d do a referendum of some sort on this now. Maybe that will wake the Rs up to the reality of their own fanbase not being on the whole on board with this. 

I wonder if it's also possible that more repub than dem voters straight up did not understand which vote was which. 

6 HOURS AGO

Kyrsten Sinema is seeking a couple of changes to Democrats' party-line bill. She wants to nix the carried interest provision and add drought funding.
The Arizona Democrat still hasn't said whether she would vote for the tax, climate and health care deal.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/08-3-2022/sinemas-ask/

Kyrsten Sinema is seeking a couple changes to Democrats' climate, health care and tax bill, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

The Arizona Democrat, who has not weighed in on whether she will vote for the legislation, wants to nix language narrowing the so-called carried interest loophole, which would change the way some investment income is taxed. Cutting that provision would ax $14 billion of the bill's $739 billion in projected revenue.

Sinema also wants an add. She'd like roughly $5 billion in drought resiliency funding added to the legislation, a key ask for Arizona given the state's problems with water supply. A Sinema spokesperson declined to comment.

This should play great in Wisconsin...

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said Wednesday that Social Security and Medicare should be up for congressional approval each year, instead of staying under their current status as federal entitlement programs.

“Social Security and Medicare, if you qualify for the entitlement, you just get it no matter what the cost,” Johnson said in an interview that aired Tuesday on “The Regular Joe Show” podcast.

GOP Senators Say Kansas Abortion Result A 'Wake-Up Call' For Party:

“It’s definitely a wake-up call for us,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) acknowledged on Wednesday.

“Kansas, which is a pretty red state ― it’s hard to find the words. I think people should look at it,” added Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) when asked for his reaction on the vote. [...]

“I do think it’s always best to be in touch with what your constituents support. Kansas has a 22-week ban [on abortion]. I think it’s a policy that a good number of Republicans seem to think is OK,” Tillis said Wednesday.

To the bolded, for a Republican Senator, Thom Tillis does not seem to have a good grasp on what Republicans think is OK.

11 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

6 HOURS AGO

Kyrsten Sinema is seeking a couple of changes to Democrats' party-line bill. She wants to nix the carried interest provision and add drought funding.
The Arizona Democrat still hasn't said whether she would vote for the tax, climate and health care deal.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/08-3-2022/sinemas-ask/

I dont speak Sinema, is this a good faith negotiation or a slow-walk to run out the clock because ...reasons? From my perspective the climate provisions are the most important and I dont give a sh*t if corporations continue to make extra profits, if thats the price that has to be paid. One's an existential threat and the other is just money (also, the increased drought funding seemed to come with not too hefty a price tag, it seemed)

If all Sinema wants is to keep the carried interest loophole and the extra $5 billion, then it's a no-brainer to just give it to her and pass the damn thing.

But that's a huge if, she's more cagey and unpredictable than Manchin.  There's also talk she's not wild about the corporate minimum tax, but her demands there are unclear.  Also should be noted we're still waiting on MacDonough's ruling.

We have the answer to yesterday's question/speculation as to Jones's emails and the Jan 6 Attempted Coup Committee --

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/january-6-committee-subpoena-alex-jones-defamation-trial

.... The Jan. 6 Select Committee is reportedly planning to subpoena far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones after his texts and emails were revealed Wednesday in a defamation lawsuit filed by the families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims, sources familiar with the matter and another person briefed on it told Rolling Stone. ....

.... The Jan. 6 Select Committee is now reportedly preparing to request those records from the attorneys representing the Sandy Hook victims for its investigation into the events surrounding the deadly Capitol insurrection, according to Rolling Stone. The internal deliberations among the committee regarding its planned request reportedly occurred within minutes of Bankston’s revelation that was aired in the trial’s livestream on Wednesday afternoon.

The Jan. 6 Select Committee declined to provide comment to TPM. ....

Heather Cox Richardson concludes her today's Substack with this, regarding that -- meaning Jones's, and All the Others', deliberate operations and strategy of lying about everything to everyone all the time:

.... Way back in 2004, an advisor to President George W. Bush told journalist Ron Suskind that people like Suskind were in “the reality-based community”: they believed people could find solutions based on their observations and careful study of discernible reality. But, the aide continued, such a worldview was obsolete. “That’s not the way the world really works anymore…. We are an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.”

I wonder if reality is starting to reassert itself.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

This should play great in Wisconsin...

Sarcasm? :ph34r:

Yes, its a bit like abortion. Most Repubs bitch about SS pension and medicare, but when push comes to shove, not all vote for making them discretionary spending based on annual review & approval, and thus cutting their noses to spite their faces!

Archived