US politics: Red Tide Rising

IheartIheartTesla

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sure, I was just going by how the Dems themselves scored each.  Frankly the estimates are so close, respectively, nobody can say with confidence which ones will/would be more accurate.

Yeah, I was going with Treasury and JCT.  Latest I am hearing is that the best case scenario is a vote late Monday into the early hours of Tuesday.  Byrd Bath taking a while.  Sinema has indicated that she will work with the bill if she gets her couple of asks.  Pelosi will jam through by Friday.  Some leaks now on Sinema demands:  (I) removal of carried interest provision, (ii) wants a delayed effective date on corporate AMT (which she will get, but that means it will never happen), (iii) hold harmless cost recovery in corporate AMT (already drafted), but that will be a big revenue dip; substitute will be the stock buyback excise tax to make up any revenue gap.

8 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Byrd Bath taking a while.

Yeah, I was hoping MacDonough would rule by the end of this week but...

We'll see if Sinema gets what she wants on the corporate AMT.  I imagine that's what they're haggling over while waiting.

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, I was hoping MacDonough would rule by the end of this week but...

We'll see if Sinema gets what she wants on the corporate AMT.  I imagine that's what they're haggling over while waiting.

The people we hear from think that the Sinema deal (whatever it is) will be done by tomorrow - she will want to announce before the weekend.

29 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

The people we hear from think that the Sinema deal (whatever it is) will be done by tomorrow - she will want to announce before the weekend.

Here's hoping they're right!

DeSantis being DeSantis - suspending a prosecutor who declined to enforce the abortion law. 

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Thursday suspended an elected state attorney without pay, accusing him of neglecting his duties and incompetence for saying he would not prosecute anyone who sought or provided abortions. suspends Florida prosecutor for refusing to enforce abortion law (msn.com)

Sinema says she has a deal on reconciliation and Schumer's said the first votes will start Saturday afternoon. Seems like this may actually happen. And, if it does, this is actually going to go down as one of the most productive Congresses in a long time. There's not a signature law like the 111th Congress has with the ACA, but this bill (assuming it passes), the earlier infrastructure bill, the COVID relief bill, the CHIPs/China competition bill, a (limited but still something) gun bill, that bill fixing the postal service's finances, the bill reauthorizing the VAWA (which had expired in 2019), and the lend-lease bill for Ukraine is a pretty strong slate actually. And there's still that election reform bill that might pass too, which won't protect against nearly all 2024 threats but does address a few of them.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve been watching clips from this debate in Indiana.  Do these assholes have any idea how dangerous sepsis is?

More importantly, he gave away the game. This is about forcing one's minority view of a religion onto everyone else. Full stop. 

45 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

4M for Alex Jones. Not that it really matters, with all the bankruptcies, but seems compatively low to me.

On the bright side, the next Jan 6 hearing is practically writing itself.

My understanding is those are just the compensatory damages. He's still on the hook for punitive damages which should cost him a lot more, and this is just one of the suits he's facing. I believe there are a few more. He's fucked either way and will be going to prison. 

Archived