Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

365 days to go! First Poster

The cast is the epitome of 'ensemble', the crew fantastic as usual, no need to worry about the 'true' IMAX experience here, Universal not WB, hoping for a comeback after a lukewarm Tenet, he blew up a real plane for it, hoping for a real bomb in this one (only half kidding), and the damn appropriate Gita quote...

Coincidentally just posted something related to this nuke stuff

Like a boss. Cool guys don't look at explosions. And yes, I wouldn't rule out an actual atomic bomb explosion. You know how Nolan loves practical effects. 

RDJ as Lewis Strauss and Murphy as Oppenhiemer.

Christ, the release date is still a year away. This makes me very sad. 

I'm too lazy to look for it right now but I remember reading something about the (reported) deal with Universal. It involves a guaranteed exclusive theatrical run, no Universal tentpole film releases for a period before and after the premiere, and a substantial percentage of the first dollar gross. If I didn't know better I'd say the suits at Universal were more concerned about prestige at awards season than money in the bank. My boy Chris is getting paid, son!

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I was a big fan of Fat Man and Little Boy when it came out, which had a smaller but similarly stacked cast but only deals with events up to the trinity test. I also really like the PBS Oppenhiemer series, which takes a much broader view of Oppenhiemer's life and includes the post war stuff. Given that RDJ has been cast as Strauss, I imagine they'll be a good portion of the film dedicated to post-war red scare stuff. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:34 PM, Myrddin said:

Maybe the sound balance will improve for this one?

It was unbearable in Tenet. Overall a terrible and super boring film, but the incredibly overbearing sound of it.

Hopefully this will be a a great film again. I did like Interstellar, Inception and Dunkirk a lot.

Lights go down...

The scene opens on a desolate New Mexico landscape. An ominous score plays. In the background, there are military vehicles and several men in army fatigues working near large, skeletal steel tower...

In the foreground, the camera tracks a lone Army private as he walks into a small wooden shack. The camera follows him inside. The score begins to build... 

Shack interior: The army private seats himself on a wooden bench at a table that spans the length of the shack. On the table is an authentic, 1940's army communications radio. He powers on the radio to the sound of static and jumbled, barely audible voices.... 

He keys the microphone, -click- 

"X-Ray 2, X-Ray 1, over.”

“Go ahead X-ray 1, over.”

The score stops.

"Can you hear me X-Ray 2? Am I coming through OK, Over?"

And, scene. 

:D

p.s. How DARE you?

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Curious how the relativity of time will be shown in this one.

Theoretically, this is the best subject for it. Cinematically difficult. But the name's N-O-L-A-N

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm guessing a fission reaction time will be one of the aspects.

Isn't it some millionths of a second? 

The teaser featured a countdown of 11 months, blah blah so I'm guessing for the first time Nolan gonna do something linear, since it may affect the overall biopicness. But then the name's...

Edited by TheLastWolf

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Curious how the relativity of time will be shown in this one. I'm guessing a fission reaction time will be one of the aspects.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. General relativity and quantum mechanics don't play nice was my understanding. That's still being sussed out by the fellas that do all the fancy cyphering. Mind you, mere mortals still can't figure out how a black hole works and Nolan got that sorted out in a few days for Interstellar.

If you're talking about depicting an actual fission reaction, Yeah, that will be a practical effect; using a tiny chunk of Uranium and shot at 10 trillion fps on a camera that will make James Cameron shit himself in terror.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

The teaser featured a countdown of 11 months, blah blah so I'm guessing for the first time Nolan gonna do something linear, since it may affect the overall biopicness. But then the name's...

Now I have to find an Imax theater showing Nope. That's going to be a problem for me I think. 

32 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. General relativity and quantum mechanics don't play nice was my understanding. That's still being sussed out by the fellas that do all the fancy cyphering. Mind you, mere mortals still can't figure out how a black hole works and Nolan got that sorted out in a few days for Interstellar.

If you're talking about depicting an actual fission reaction, Yeah, that will be a practical effect; using a tiny chunk of Uranium and shot at 10 trillion fps on a camera that will make James Cameron shit himself in terror.

Now I have to find an Imax theater showing Nope. That's going to be a problem for me I think. 

Yo, an emoji isn't enough. This is my nomination for post of the fucking year.

:rofl: