Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Now I have to find an Imax theater showing Nope. That's going to be a problem for me I think.

Why, you must have plenty of that in your neighbourhood...

There's always another option which already got me a kick in the butt from the mods so I'm mum

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. General relativity and quantum mechanics don't play nice was my understanding. That's still being sussed out by the fellas that do all the fancy cyphering. Mind you, mere mortals still can't figure out how a black hole works and Nolan got that sorted out in a few days for Interstellar.

Yeah, regarding bombs relativity isn’t a factor. Particles are going fast, but they aren't going at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. That's more of a consideration with high energy accelerator physics. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

If you're talking about depicting an actual fission reaction, Yeah, that will be a practical effect; using a tiny chunk of Uranium and shot at 10 trillion fps on a camera that will make James Cameron shit himself in terror.

:lol:

A view of material undergoing fissioning would actually be quite boring, though. It would just sit there. If someone really made a mistake and a criticality accident was achieved, then the material would still just sit there, but heat up a little and irradiate anyone nearby until the material quickly went subcritical again.

6 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Isn't it some millionths of a second?

About 10 nanoseconds for a single generation. Depending on the efficiency of the bomb you can get thousands of generations before the fuel tears itself apart and goes subcritical.

57 minutes ago, IFR said:

Yeah, regarding bombs relativity isn’t a factor. Particles are going fast, but they aren't going at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. That's more of a consideration with high energy accelerator physics. 

A view of material undergoing fissioning would actually be quite boring, though. It would just sit there. If someone really made a mistake and a criticality accident was achieved, then the material would still just sit there, but heat up a little and irradiate anyone nearby until the material quickly went subcritical again.

About 10 nanoseconds for a single generation. Depending on the efficiency of the bomb you can get thousands of generations before the fuel tears itself apart and goes subcritical.

Wish I had you for a Physics teacher in high school. The decrepit incompetents we were saddled with spent half the year recovering from a stroke and open heart surgery respectively (but with no respect) and the other half making us wish they'd passed away peacefully thus benefitting the entire human race. I may seem callous but you had to meet them to believe it. Hell, the cardiac fellow finished Bernoulli's theorem in 7 minutes tops.

5 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

That's just the trailer.

Shepard tones are in almost all Nolan films, one of Zimmer's specialities. We'll see how Göransson manages.

Yes, most of the particles (with mass) generated in nuclear reactions travel much slower than the speed of light and non-relativistic calculations are perfectly appropriate there (one of the exceptions to this would be neutrinos for instance coming off the fusion in the sun, but their mass is 0 or close enough). Much of the work in Los Alamos was dedicated towards the engineering aspects of creating a sustainable nuclear reaction (of course, with a lot of input from scientists), but I would say conceptually (big picture wise) the groundwork was laid in the years prior to the war.

Presumably the reason the Nazis didnt pursue a bomb seriously was because Heisenberg did a calculation regarding how much fissile material would be required, and it was 3 orders of magnitude off (if memory serves me correct). Whether he did that deliberately or not is up for debate. (Edit: This story may not be actually true, but there has been quite a bit of discussion around whether or not H knew what the critical mass would be)

Thematically this biopic may share similarities with the Turing one, in that in both cases we have a brilliant mind who achieved great success leading a collaborative effort followed by post-war hounding by an ungrateful government. Wonder if Nolan will draw on prior work.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Wish I had you for a Physics teacher in high school. The decrepit incompetents we were saddled with spent half the year recovering from a stroke and open heart surgery respectively (but with no respect) and the other half making us wish they'd passed away peacefully thus benefitting the entire human race. I may seem callous but you had to meet them to believe it. Hell, the cardiac fellow finished Bernoulli's theorem in 7 minutes tops.

Thank you! I'm far, far from any kind of expert though. I'm on my final year of a Health Physics degree, so I still have a long way to go before I might be considered beyond adequate.

54 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Presumably the reason the Nazis didnt pursue a bomb seriously was because Heisenberg did a calculation regarding how much fissile material would be required, and it was 3 orders of magnitude off (if memory serves me correct). Whether he did that deliberately or not is up for debate. (Edit: This story may not be actually true, but there has been quite a bit of discussion around whether or not H knew what the critical mass would be)

This is one of the more interesting articles I've read on the topic, particularly on the speculation of what Heisenberg did or did not know.

55 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Thematically this biopic may share similarities with the Turing one, in that in both cases we have a brilliant mind who achieved great success leading a collaborative effort followed by post-war hounding by an ungrateful government. Wonder if Nolan will draw on prior work.

I believe Nolan primarily based this on American Prometheus, which I found to be an excellent biography. I would be shocked if Nolan didn't also draw from The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun, and Rhodes is still around for consultation.

Also, Nolan apparently has maintained his relationship with Kip Thorne, whose mentor was John Archibald Wheeler. I'm sure there's a lot of inside info there.

Nolan may have had a general disregard for science in Tenet, but he seems scrupulous enough that when it comes to a biography of Oppenheimer he will aim for fidelity (I hope).

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Why, you must have plenty of that in your neighbourhood...

There's always another option which already got me a kick in the butt from the mods so I'm mum

I'm house sitting for a week. There's suburban livestock involved. Very needy suburban livestock. 

There's a theater nearby but it isn't Imax. That will require a much longer drive.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

That's just the trailer.

Ludwig Göransson is scoring this one. I imagine the score will be more

EEEEEeeEeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEeeeEeeEeeEeeEeeeEeeEeeEee

DuhDuhDuhDuhDahDahDeeDeeDeeDooDuhDuhDuhDuhDahDahDeeDeeDeeDooDuhDuhDuhDuhDahDahDeeDeeDeeDoo

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Their development was much slower and Germany didn't enjoy the same material circumstance as the United States. Hitler's determination that the war impact the German general economy as little as possible meant they had be more economical in their war making, and often they weren't. For example, Germany built brilliant tanks but their tank manufacturing was comically inefficient. Anyway, at some point, the decision was made to shift resources away from fission weapons to V2 rocket development. They had no chance after that.

This is the thing that irks me about the history channel documentaries about Nazi super weapons. "Oh man if only they built this we'd have been screwed, blah, blah". Maybe, but if they built that then some other part of their war machine would have suffered. They couldn't do everything.

They also always leave out that the British had done an amazing job of breaking the German codes without Germany ever knowing it. Super weapons or no, You have zero chance if your enemy can listen in on everything you're planning. The Germans getting their shit pushed in at the battle of Kursk is a good example of this. They must have felt like Captain Deladier when she said, "This isn't random or light. Someone made a mistake... Someone made a big goddamn mistake!!!"

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Yeah, the trailer has leaked. I regret nothing.

The score is more, "Fhuh   Fhuh   Fhuh   Fhuh  Fhuh  Fhuh  Fhuh Fhuh Fhuh FhuhFhuhFhuhFhuh" than I anticipated. 

42 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Weirdly enough, not one he invented- the original bwa bwa bwa tune was Mind Heist, mainly the work of Zack Hemsey.  

AC/DC also did some pioneering work on this front back in the early '80's.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

This is one of the more interesting articles I've read on the topic, particularly on the speculation of what Heisenberg did or did not know.

This is great. I will read this.

I believe Nolan primarily based this on American Prometheus, which I found to be an excellent biography. I would be shocked if Nolan didn't also draw from The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun, and Rhodes is still around for consultation.

Yeah, Rhodes is great. 

I chuckle at the fact that Oppenhiemer's life is so well documented because his life intersected with so many people who were being surveilled by the FBI at one point or another. He might have the most thoroughly documented life stories of any public figure in history. Karl Marx's activities are similarly well documented, though they were actually watching him, not his pals. 

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm house sitting for a week. There's suburban livestock involved. Very needy suburban livestock.

:idea:, no idea, what are they?

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There's a theater nearby but it isn't Imax. That will require a much longer drive.

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, the trailer has leaked. I regret nothing.

Not even not watching in theatres? or esp that?

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:
15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

one of Zimmer's specialities.

Weirdly enough, not one he invented- the original bwa bwa bwa tune was Mind Heist, mainly the work of Zack Hemsey. 

Why weird, he may be brilliant but can't eat all the pie alone. My favourite is from Interstellar btw...

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

AC/DC also did some pioneering work on this front back in the early '80's.

Can I get a link?, searched futilely

13 hours ago, IFR said:

Thank you! I'm far, far from any kind of expert though. I'm on my final year of a Health Physics degree, so I still have a long way to go before I might be considered beyond adequate.

Hope you ace it!

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Yeah right

And they're being serious...

I read the title and rolled my eyes. I read this…

As it stands, Spectre holds the record for the largest explosion in movie history…

And I started laughing. That whole paragraph is comedy gold. 
Is he “Bold Enough”? Yes, I rather think he is, Reginald.

35 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yes, I rather think he is, Reginald.

Here's your Reginald, James Hunt (F1, Rush, rhymes with c-, not that guy, he dead cracka)

James is Screen Rant's Movies Lead Editor,

Right-O, 

having started out as a writer for the site back in 2019. A Sports Journalism graduate, James quickly realized that supporting Sunderland AFC was painful enough without writing about it, and so decided to talk a load of rubbish about movies and TV instead.

At least he's honest

Formerly the TV editor at WhatCulture, he has a particular love of Star Wars (The Last Jedi was great), Game of Thrones (season 8 was good), and Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling...never mind) - y'know, all that really niche, nerdy stuff. Spending most of his days editing articles about or writing on movies and shows, James likes to really get away from work and unwind by, er, watching movies and shows. He's fuelled by pint-sized cups of tea, peanut butter, more tea, and a quiet, constant anger (like the Hulk, only not green, or strong, or big).

he has a particular love of Star Wars (The Last Jedi was great), Game of Thrones (season 8 was good), and Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling...never mind)

That explains everything

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Here's your Reginald, James Hunt (F1, Rush, rhymes with c-, not that guy, he dead cracka)

Right-O, 

At least he's honest

he has a particular love of Star Wars (The Last Jedi was great), Game of Thrones (season 8 was good), and Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling...never mind)

That explains everything

Wow. His name really is James Hunt. Ok then. I don’t know where “Reginald” came from. For some reason that title made me think of Eddie Izzards, “the difference between English and American movies” and it just came to me.

So, does this mean Christopher Nolan will become a nuclear power, or does that honor go to Universal Pictures? I guess it was going to happen eventually. 

Look, I get it. The movie business has been pretty lean the last few years and that’s been hard on the commentary business. It’s fine.

Although, I’m convinced more and more that these guys read this forum for nuggets of inspiration.