Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

Even the sound in the trailer is horrible...

I get that my hearing sucks, but straining to understand speech beneath the loud whoosh of machinery is maddening.

I say this as a fan of Nolan's films. I used to never watch trailers for his films because I wanted to go in cold.

There was some discussion on another thread that the reason Tenet has such a weird sound mix is that the home release wasn’t mixed with factory television speakers in mind. I think there’s something to this.

I’m watching it on a flatscreen with a proper sound bar and subwoofer combo and the dialogue is definitely more audible.

or

the movie is so mind-warpingly weird that you have to see it multiple times to get it anyway, so making out the dialogue works the same way. Philistines and film Twitter weirdos completely missed the point. Pfft. “Dialogue.”

As I type this the top of my now blown-off skull is hanging by flap of skin next to my stunned face. The dogs in my care are unimpressed.

My film reviews on the watching threads will be haikus from now on.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There was some discussion on another thread that the reason Tenet has such a weird sound mix is that the home release wasn’t mixed with factory television speakers in mind. I think there’s something to this.

Tenet has a terrible sound mix because it's a Nolan movie.

I mean, name me a Nolan movie that doesn't have cynical, audience-hating, audio issues?

Edited by Spockydog

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Tenet has a terrible sound mix because it's a Nolan movie.

I mean, name me a Nolan movie that doesn't have cynical, audience-hating, audio issues?

Memento was good

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My film reviews on the watching threads will be haikus from now on.

Mine are couplets

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It needs to be a proper 200 minutes long to take full advantage of the cast and history of this.

If it's under 2hrs I'm protesting in advance.

I predict 170 mins, or somewhere near The Prestige

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Thing is, I watched it in the cinema and the sound was exactly as terrible. What i read is that Nolan mixes his movies for the best possible sound quality at the other end, not accepting that average theatres might not have top of the range sound systems. I'm pretty sure I sure it in a Vue Xtreme which should be top of the range, so I can't comment.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

"Broadly speaking, there is no question when you mix a film in an unconventional way as this, you’re bound to catch some people off guard," he concluded. "But hopefully people can appreciate the experience for what it’s intended to be.”

It's hard to grasp how it seems so difficult for Nolan to understand that there is a time and a place for unusual sound mixing. A movie that relies so heavily on dialogue to put across complex ideas and explain what the fuck is going on.. maybe isn't the place to be playing around with making inaudible dialogue. If he wants to do that, go make a mumblecore atmosphere piece.

If you click through to the original indiewire article those quotes about Interstellar come from, he admits to him and Zimmer taking off the filters normally present to remove the really low-end frequencies during mixing. Like they aren't there for good reasons. And sure there are times when it might be useful to take them off which is presumably why you can, but... not all the damn time.

We dunno if he did similar for Tenet but he obviously took a similar general philosophy.

The quote about people accepting movies filmed in iphones not accepting his soundmixes particularly annoyed me because as far as I know, in Tangerine, you can still see what's happening. The visual equivalent of inaudible soundmixes is, like, shakycam or too-quick editing and films absolutely do get slammed for that. 

There obviously are films with bizarre soundmixes that get acclaimed - I saw a Muay-Thai prison movie called Prayer Before Dawn a few years ago that has a properly discomobulating soundmix but uses it correctly (cracking movie, worth a watch), and though I've not seen it I've heard great things about how Sound of Metal uses its sound. But they're not movies like Tenet, and they use it for specific dramatic purpose and with properly planned effect. 

On 7/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, Raja said:

You'll be back to your ways 

Hey don't blame me they started it.

No updates for so long, until I remembered there's still a year to go. And with Folie a deux more than 2 years away, I cant believe how patient I've become.

Just wish Caine could've been there for a record 9th collab with Nolan, retired sadly. This movie's subject is best suited too.

Edited by TheLastWolf