Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

This film is already affecting change!

The Biden administration is vacating a decades-old decision to revoke the security clearance of World War II-era scientist J. Robert Oppenheimer, who is known today as the “father of the atomic bomb.”

In a written statement first shared with The Hill, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said the 1954 decision barring Oppenheimer’s clearance went through a “flawed process” and noted that there was evidence of bias. 

“In 1954, the Atomic Energy Commission revoked Dr. Oppenheimer’s security clearance through a flawed process that violated the Commission’s own regulations. As time has passed, more evidence has come to light of the bias and unfairness of the process that Dr. Oppenheimer was subjected to while the evidence of his loyalty and love of country have only been further affirmed,” Granholm said. 

Im definately doing this flik over my holiday break.

Did see the old Fatman, Little Boy movie years ago. If memory serves, Paul Newman and a pretty young Jon Cusack were in that one.

Eta: Damn..... It doesn't open till July.

Guess it'll be Avatar 2 and settling for the trailer at the Imax on my break.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decent trailer. Pretty overwrought and melodramatic, but I guess that's to draw the Marvel crowd into a subject that doesn't involve righteously punching your way to victory.

A lot of exciting scenes. I really am liking the design. I was surprised to see Chicago Pile 1. Oppenheimer was minimally involved there - that was Fermi's project. Also the appearance of Einstein, who was only in the loosest sense associated with the entire Manhattan Project - nothing beyond a letter to the president. It appears the movie will take a broad scope approach.

It seems clear the narrative drive of the movie will be the AEC security hearing. I imagine the movie will use the hearing to present the various vignettes of Oppenheimer's life and the Manhattan Project.

I didn't see anything egregious. Even the comment about the bomb potentially destroying the world is something that was discussed. The fear of the high temperature and pressure from the bomb detonation causing a fusion chain reaction of nitrogen in the atmosphere was something scientists considered, but was found to be impossible very early on, although a minority of the scientists still worried about it. The associate reasoning led Teller to come up with his Super, using the much more practical deuterium-deuterium and deuterium-tritium fusion chain reactions.

3 hours ago, IFR said:

but I guess that's to draw the Marvel crowd into a subject that doesn't involve righteously punching your way to victory.

I think it's just because Nolan is an (over)wrought and (melo)dramatic director by nature, tbqh. Nothing wrong with it in the right doses. He doesn't always get it right, but too early to see where the balance is in this one for me. 

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think it's just because Nolan is an (over)wrought and (melo)dramatic director by nature, tbqh. Nothing wrong with it in the right doses. He doesn't always get it right, but too early to see where the balance is in this one for me. 

Pistols. 

Dawn.

:fencing:

17 minutes ago, Raja said:

Nah, Tenet is flawed but great

"Flawed" in what way? 

Flawed in the way the night sky is flawed, because it won't blow me no matter how much I ask? 

Or flawed in the way that your taste in genius is flawed

:commie:

(Joking guys, you're allowed to have bad taste)

Sorry, some unseen force compelled me to purchase supermarket seafood. 

I'm gonna get so sick. This might be goodbye. Don't let them call it suicide. 

Shrimpicide After the Supermarket is a headline I can live with : or die with, as it were