Nolan's Oppenheimer

TheLastWolf

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This will sound stupid… it never occurred to that it was the Strong Nuclear force being unleashed with Trinity…

That phrase struck me as well.

It sounds good in a film, and I can believe that Oppenheimer used it to impress people, and I suppose it is one way of visualising what happens in fission. But you could equally well say that it was unleashing E equals em cee squared  - the point being that the speed of light squared is a very large number.

(The mass of the particles of a broken uranium nucleus sums to less than the mass of the uranium nucleus itself. The difference is converted into energy using that formula.)

55 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Forces, schmorces. 

How about that dialogue, huh?!? So audible. So intelligible. So appropriate for @Corvinus85’s fragile ears.

As long as there is no too much background sound over the dialogue. Sound mixing has been Nolan's problem in his movies, especially Tenet.

On 7/13/2023 at 12:17 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Whole movie's going to be on youtube this way

Why is this called opening look? It's a long trailer.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This will sound stupid… it never occurred to that it was the Strong Nuclear force being unleashed with Trinity

what?

The mass defect and binding energy of fission and fusion is an interesting but a bit of a confusing subject. Why are the constituent parts of a fused helium atom larger than the helium atom, but on the other hand, the constituent parts of a uranium smaller than the uranium atom before the fission event? Both yield energy due to a mass defect. I think this video does a great job explaining these concepts. I also added another video on the strong nuclear force by the same person. He provides excellent explanations.

Edited by IFR