Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

Rafe Judkins answers some questions on twitter while sipping on some Gin & Tonic at SDCC.  Here are points about the more interesting answers:

(warning spoilers!)

• The season is still 8 episodes, but episodes are longer than in the first season.
  • Mulitiple Forsaken will be seen, and a lot more time with them similar to the later books rather than the earlier books.
  • Pieces of books 1, 2, and 3 are in it, sounds like they're trying to set things up so season 3 is a much closer adaptation of The Shadow Rising.
  • "Do you dance, Perrin Aybara?" is in it.
  • It's not a ball gag on the damane.
  • Hopper is in.
  • Favorite 2-person scene with with Egwene and Renna.
  • Shooting of season 2 began immediately after 107 and 108 so there are some unforeseen changes that rippled through -- I assume he's talking about more than Mat.
  • The Dark Friend Social is in.

Early season 3 renewal was announced too.

Edited by SpaceChampion

My first thought was that by buzzing his hair, it makes the red less obvious, but it's still kind of obvious, so .... *shrug*

Am I the only one who is not particularly a fan of the art style of the Origins? The substance is fine, but the art style is not my cup of tea.

This scene was one of the ones that annoyed me the most from the first season so I'm glad that the showrunner also hated it. Hopefully it means more sensical things for the coming seasons.

I was browsing around the WoT section of Amazon and looked through the Artifacts section. Interestingly, Perrin's axe and hammer were featured. I understand that there was a lot to cram into season 1, but I'm looking forward to Perrin getting his axe.

For that matter, I'm looking forward to Rand's sword generating attention as he strolls through various towns. I miss that he and Lan never bonded over the sword forms.

It looks like the conclusion of the season will be Falme, and Tear may have to wait for later. Which is fine by me. Rand has been spotted in fine clothes in what is very likely the Foregate quarter of Cairhien, in the company of Lan (and possibly Moiraine), so some version of his Cairhienin adventures from book 2 appears to be in.

2 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

While Falme sounds like a good place to end season 2, it does make condensing the remaining 12 books into 6 seasons seem insane.

Lets not forget that they can skip the entirety of book 10, and reduce books 8, 9, and 11 just to the big stuff. Sanderson's books can also be heavily condensed simply by not introducing any new characters and just focus on getting resolution for the main plotlines.

Book 10: The 5-Minute Montage 

to the intermission music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

ETA: Even merging 8 and 9, it'll be a lot to cram in. To me making Rand go off on his own at end of season one was an opportunity to pull forward his solo venture in book 3 and culminate with a merged Falme and Tear ending. Have the Seachen attack Tear (lay siege to Stone), Rand battles Bazalmon in sky before pulling Callendor. (TBF, Cairhein was the one thing that required someone from existing cast to help him)

While also merging journeys of everyone else to culminate in "Falmear". Egwene and crew sold by Liandrin, Mat and Thom rush to their aid, Perrin tracks Rand to Falmear (meeting Faile along the way), etc.

Edited by Myrddin

22 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Lets not forget that they can skip the entirety of book 10, and reduce books 8, 9, and 11 just to the big stuff. Sanderson's books can also be heavily condensed simply by not introducing any new characters and just focus on getting resolution for the main plotlines.

I agree, the meat of the story is in books 1-6 and only a few important set pieces from the later books are really required (the Cleansing and Rand's epiphany foremost among them). Even things like the Bowl of the Wind could be scrapped entirely, if need be (especially since simulating the weather effects may hamper production).

I think the idea is that Season 2 will end at Falme, but will incorporate other plot elements from later books. It sounds like there will be significantly more Aiel content in Season 2 than in Book 2 and Season 3 will apparently focus primarily on adapting The Shadow Rising (Book 4) and I would not be surprised if they got into Book 5 material.

So, from that I assume they're moving Callendor to much later in the series? Maybe the People of the Dragon taking Tear will be a much larger force than in the books.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

So, from that I assume they're moving Callendor to much later in the series? Maybe the People of the Dragon taking Tear will be a much larger force than in the books.

Considering that Callendor sits unused off page for about 9 books... that's probably good.

IIRC, he pulls it in 3, tries to resurrect a dead kid with it at the beginning of 4, goes off screen for a long time and then he goes crazy and kills a bunch of his own troops with it in Path of Daggers (?) which was book 8?  Is that right?  And then he gives it to Narishma in Book 9 for the cleansing.  Then he uses it in the climax of the series.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Considering that Callendor sits unused off page for about 9 books... that's probably good.

IIRC, he pulls it in 3, tries to resurrect a dead kid with it at the beginning of 4, goes off screen for a long time and then he goes crazy and kills a bunch of his own troops with it in Path of Daggers (?) which was book 8?  Is that right?  And then he gives it to Narishma in Book 9 for the cleansing.  Then he uses it in the climax of the series.  Is that correct?

Yup.

Like a lot of the "plot coupons" in The Wheel of Time (of which there are truly an ungodly number), it sort of hangs around for thousands of pages and eventually becomes useful.

It disappoints me how little imagination is tolerated in these pursuits. How GoT becomes the round hole every other shaped peg gets smashed into I'll never understand. Because "condense and cut this shit to get it done in 8" really worked out for GoT

28 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

It disappoints me how little imagination is tolerated in these pursuits. How GoT becomes the round hole every other shaped peg gets smashed into I'll never understand. Because "condense and cut this shit to get it done in 8" really worked out for GoT

It should work for this because doing it in 15 would match the books which included 4 very boring books.