UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

Have a heart, man.

I mean, a second rate lawyer got promoted far beyond her abilities. Now she's consistently dumbfounded, when lawyers tell her the policies of HMG are unlawful. Do you have any idea how stupid that makes her feel.

Sigh, the race to the bottom on both sides of the pond is so disheartening. We used to look at your conservatives and wish they were ours, and in turn your conservatives looked at ours and decided to follow their path...

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What the fuuuuuck.

"[Lawyers] should refrain from dismissing policies as unlawful and instead give a percentage chance that they may be challenged."

Reads as "Look, I know this suggestion is illegal, but how busy are the Good Law Society at the moment? Can they afford to bring another case? Or are they fully tied up with all our other illegal actions?"

Watching Rishi completely lose the plot is amusing. But then you remember that Truss is going to be PM.

Covid, Truss as PM, cost of living crisis.

What a time to be alive :wideeyed:

These 12 years of conservative have been great, haven't they?

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

These 12 years of conservative have been great, haven't they?

"Only I can fix the mess that I helped create"

On the other hand, they both say that the Tories will lose the next election if the other wins - let's hope they're both right on that one!

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean, a second rate lawyer got promoted far beyond her abilities. Now she's consistently dumbfounded, when lawyers tell her the policies of HMG are unlawful. Do you have any idea how stupid that makes her feel.

It is worse than that. She is a second rate lawyer who has zero respect for the rule of law and thinks that this government should be able to do whatever it wants with no limits. And she was promoted to the position of the government's legal supremo precisely because she holds those beliefs.

By all accounts, Truss went to a pretty decent comprehensive. I went to a school that was so dysfunctional, the BBC made a documentary about it.

I also lived on a council estate, Kenbrook House in Kentish Town. A proper shithole.

Now, this place had big, fuckoff, communal boilers. The type of boilers that serve dozens of flats. One day, these boilers stopped working. Just stopped. They went unrepaired for two years. And in all that time we had no heating or hot water. This was an acceptable way to treat people back then.

I was a child of Thatcher's Britain. It was fucking shit.

Holy shit, must be quite the luxury area. A tiny tiny 3 bedroom leasehold goes for half a million euros. The bathroom even has enough standing room for using the toilet!

Btw, is it normal that the agent doesn't tell the size of the apartment on their website?

1 hour ago, kiko said:

Holy shit, must be quite the luxury area. A tiny tiny 3 bedroom leasehold goes for half a million euros. The bathroom even has enough standing room for using the toilet!

Btw, is it normal that the agent doesn't tell the size of the apartment on their website?

The area is great. Kenbrook House, in the 80s and 90s, was a legitimate shithole. I doubt any of those flats are local authority owned anymore.

During the worst of it, my Mum set up the Kenbrook House Action Committee. At the time, she was the general manager of Royal Mail's Mount Pleasant sorting office, and a big pal of Alan Johnson, who she worked with on the CWU. Anyway, together, they crawled so far up Camden Council's colon, in 1995 they gave her £70k to go away and buy a house somewhere else.

With that, she bought a four bedroom semi in Palmers Green, which is now worth about a million.

Act now on water or face emergency queues on the streets, UK warned

A national hosepipe ban should be implemented as a national priority along with compulsory water metering across the UK by the end of the decade.

That is the key message that infrastructure advisers have given the government as the nation braces itself for a drought that is threatening major disruption to the nation. Failure to act now would leave Britain facing a future of queueing for emergency bottled water “from the back of lorries”.

The government was warned four years ago by the National Infrastructure Committee (NIC) that considerable new investment would have to be made in the nation’s water supply equipment by the 2030s. Although some improvements have been made by water firms, nearly 3billion litres of water is still lost every day.

Plugging these leaks will require an investment of around £20bn, Sir John Armitt, chair of the committee, told the Observer this weekend. Failure to invest now will mean, he added, that more than twice as much will have to be spent on distributing bottled water to UK residents by lorry as increasingly frequent droughts grip the nation.

3bn litres are being lost every single day.

Water companies are taking the piss, and the shit, and are pumping it directly into our rivers and beaches. Instead of replacing crumbling Victorian pipework, they are giving their shareholders juicy dividends every year.

Water is the single most important resource we have. Re-nationalize. Now.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

3bn litres are being lost every single day.

A bunch of it spent 3 days gushing out of the pavement and into my road before Thames Water decided they could be arsed to come deal with it.

51 minutes ago, polishgenius said:
Are they trying to provoke civil unrest? Like I don't understand what the endgame is. 

In a less civilized nation, or this one in another time, the endgame for some of these people would probably be hanging upside down from a lamppost.

Today, far too many people, working people, have been brainwashed into believing that this type of thing is okay, and that the likes of Jo Cotterill should just shut the fuck up, suck it up, and get a second or third job.

But there is only so much people can take. Let's see how compliant the Tory-voting apologists and enablers are when they're queuing alongside everyone else for water out of the back of a truck every day, or are back on ration books* because global food supplies have begun to collapse.

Could we one day see a British Prime Minister fleeing the country in the face of a violent, popular uprising?

Ask me in twenty years.

* Actually, given all the recent yearning for The War and the incessant banging on about Blitz Britain Values, they'll probably welcome this.

Archived