UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

In a less civilized nation, or this one in another time, the endgame for some of these people would probably be hanging upside down from a lamppost.

Today, far too many people, working people, have been brainwashed into believing that this type of thing is okay, and that the likes of Jo Cotterill should just shut the fuck up, suck it up, and get a second or third job.

But there is only so much people can take. Let's see how compliant the Tory-voting apologists and enablers are when they're queuing alongside everyone else for water out of the back of a truck every day, or are back on ration books* because global food supplies have begun to collapse.

Could we one day see a British Prime Minister fleeing the country in the face of a violent, popular uprising?

Ask me in twenty years.

* Actually, given all the recent yearning for The War and the incessant banging on about Blitz Britain Values, they'll probably welcome this.

I wish we had a fixed price energy tariff. I think the best low income people here get is a winter energy payment from the govt, and a maximum monthly direct debit, that is balanced at the end of the year and if there is a money owing it remains a debt on the customer.

Really, households on below average income should only pay a maximum x% of their income for electricity and gas. 

Can someone please explain the point of Keir Starmer?

Anyone?

Labour abstain on free school meals extension

800,000 children in England live in poverty but do not qualify for free school meals. An amendment moved by Lord Storey, a Liberal Democrat, in the House of Lords sought to extend the programme to all children whose families receive Universal Credit.

Unsurprisingly, the Tories voted against it and the amendment fell. Shockingly, all but three Labour Lords abstained. It is thought that the Keir Starmer leadership whipped for an abstention.

Labour’s leader in the House of Lords, Lady Chapman, said that Labour would have voted for it if the Tories had. 

JFC. Why does everything have to be politicized and dragged into these stupid fucking culture wars?

State of some of the gammons on the radio this morning, spouting hateful bollocks, doing whatever they can to minimize and belittle the success of England's Lionesses. And no doubt getting paid for it.

The media in this country is disgusting.

Gonna be a long two years, folks

Liz Truss has been accused of making “ludicrous” claims as she vowed to cut civil service salaries and reduce expenditure to recoup £11bn a year in a “war on Whitehall waste” if she becomes prime minister.

But the Conservative leadership hopeful’s campaign, which received another boost with the backing of Penny Mordaunt on Monday, was forced to redo some of its sums within hours of releasing a series of proposals to reduce the cost of the civil service.

These included paying staff less outside London and cutting annual holiday allowance. Truss also promised to “tackle left-wing groupthink in government” and to scrap diversity and inclusion jobs, saying they “distract from delivering on the British people’s priorities”.

“As prime minister I will run a leaner, more efficient, more focused Whitehall that prioritises the things that really matter to people and is laser-focused on frontline services,” she said. “There is too much bureaucracy and stale groupthink in Whitehall.”

Trade unions and policy experts condemned the plans as unworkable and said Truss had dramatically exaggerated the potential savings that she claimed would amount to £11bn a year.

No, you lying, goggle-eyed cunt, the delays are because you and your traitorous chums insisted on people getting their passports stamped upon departure from the UK. You then rejected French proposals to increase passport-stamping capacity at our ports. 

Jacob Rees-Mogg: I was wrong to say Brexit would not cause Dover delays

Jacob Rees-Mogg has admitted he was wrong to say there would be no delays at the port of Dover caused by the UK leaving the EU.

But the Brexit opportunities minister maintained the government line that the French, not Brexit, had caused the recent delays, in a radio interview on Tuesday.

LBC radio replayed a claim from 2018 when he insisted “there will be no need for checks at Dover” and he was clear that “the delays will not be at Dover, they will be at Calais”.

Rees-Mogg blamed Paris for the “French-created delays” witnessed recently before he was asked if he would apologise for getting it wrong.

“Yes, of course I got it wrong, but I got it wrong for the right reason, if I may put it that way,” he said.

“The point I was making was that the only delays would be caused by the French if they decided not to allow British people to pass through freely. They have decided to do that.”

Tory MPs back group with apparent links to US far right

A number of Conservative MPs have praised the work of a new UK rightwing youth pressure group that is said to have links to far-right conspiracy theorists, and has in the US been accused of anti-Islam views and connections to racism.

On Sunday, MPs including Jacob Rees-Mogg and Priti Patel tweeted supportive messages for Turning Point UK, the offshoot of a controversial organisation established in the US.

Archived