UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.. is anyone denying that Sturgeon is an attention seeker? I'd be very happy if we could all ignore her.

You want to see what an attention seeker looks like....?

Anyway, a prospective British PM saying she is just going to ignore the leader of the second biggest nation in what is supposedly a voluntary union is the stuff of Scottish nationalist wet dreams.

She is a fucking moron who does not understand the weight of her own words.

Watching Starmer betray basically everything Labour stands for and (IMO) do everything possible to give the Tories a fighting chance at the next election (I have to think at the behest of some unseen backers) is making me feel increasingly disenfranchised. Meanwhile the Tories are finding ways to bring their evil, greed, and incompetence to as yet unreached depths. Aside from the additional despair and hopelessness shovelling on to my already pretty fucking terrible mental health whenever I have the energy to spare I'm getting really fucking angry. I honestly don't know if I'll survive the next few years but if I do I hope I get to see all these bastards hang.

Starmer is trying to imitate Blair: faced with an unpopular right-wing government which appears to be imploding, he's trying to position Labour to appeal to defecting Tory voters. Triangulating, in short.

Is now the time and place for that approach? I don't believe so, no. It's a small-c conservative strategy with large-C conservative policies that fail to address any of the series of very serious challenges the country is facing. We need a very substantial change of direction - in taxation, health, public services, and most of all the environment. We need new ideas and a politician willing to champion them. Keir Starmer, sadly, ain't that. But I don't think it's the influence of unseen backers that's to blame, just an innate caution. Given how conservative the English electorate have proven to be in the past, that seems the most likely explanation. 

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

Starmer is trying to imitate Blair: faced with an unpopular right-wing government which appears to be imploding, he's trying to position Labour to appeal to defecting Tory voters.

As an outsider, it's really a headscratcher that Labour is so inept as a party and has been consistently so for ages. How are they never able to capitalize on so many Tory fuck ups? 

Starmer is probably still trying to distance himself from the wreckage of Corbyn, which ends up meaning he doesn't support striking workers or big nationalisation plans. It does make you wonder what the Labour party actually does stand for in that case. Is their pitch that they are simply 'competent'.. I mean I'd vote for competence at the moment to be honest. 

I know there is all this talk of radical agendas being needed, but in a global economy you really are just tinkering around the edges anyway, so economically I don't see there ever being any big ideas coming from anyone, and maybe people have cottoned on to that reality. Which is why talking about cultural issues and social positioning becomes a bit more powerful, because it's one of the few things where parties can differentiate themselves. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As an outsider, it's really a headscratcher that Labour is so inept as a party and has been consistently so for ages. How are they never able to capitalize on so many Tory fuck ups? 

I do notice many people from the US saying much the same about their Democrat party. I think it has something to do with how much the Right has succeeded in steering public discourse. They have vastly more money at their disposal naturally.

20 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I do notice many people from the US saying much the same about their Democrat party. I think it has something to do with how much the Right has succeeded in steering public discourse. They have vastly more money at their disposal naturally.

The two aren't comparable at all. For example the Democrats have lost the popular vote just once since 1988. It's our stupid system that allows the minority party to win. Labour can't seem to win even when Tories try to gift them elections. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The two aren't comparable at all. For example the Democrats have lost the popular vote just once since 1988. It's our stupid system that allows the minority party to win. Labour can't seem to win even when Tories try to gift them elections. 

Wrong comparission though.

Instead of which party won the Presidency, you should look at which party was in control of the House. The UK is a parliamentary democracy, and not Presidential one. FPTP has also handed the Tories more goverments, than the popular would have suggested.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Starmer is probably still trying to distance himself from the wreckage of Corbyn, which ends up meaning he doesn't support striking workers or big nationalisation plans. It does make you wonder what the Labour party actually does stand for in that case. Is their pitch that they are simply 'competent'.. I mean I'd vote for competence at the moment to be honest. 

I know there is all this talk of radical agendas being needed, but in a global economy you really are just tinkering around the edges anyway, so economically I don't see there ever being any big ideas coming from anyone, and maybe people have cottoned on to that reality. Which is why talking about cultural issues and social positioning becomes a bit more powerful, because it's one of the few things where parties can differentiate themselves. 

Is Corbyn a Tankie?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/jeremy-corbyn-urges-west-to-stop-arming-ukraine

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Scott literally, two posts above yours...

And Corbyn is above everything else, a stubborn moron.

What the actual fuck does he thinks he gains by this?  What is served by Ukraine bending over for the Russian dictator?  Is Corbyn still an MP?

On 7/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I CARE!  I have been devotedly following from across the pond ever since one of my London partners told me about the phone in "davy jones' locker" and I more or less spit coffee in his face.  I am very jealous of this whole "scandal".  

From an American's point of view yes, identical.  They are basically Victoria Beckham body doubles, and honestly, probably would get confused if you threw the Duchess of Cambridge into the lineup (to bring this full circle).

I had to look this up and holy crap, just saw the pair of them. It was pretty funny because my phone was showing news stories this morning about an ex-UK footballer who is now going to play in Italy (was it Como?) meeting backstage with Ed Sheeran after a concert in France with his wife and the wife of another footballer and they look like they all came out of the same cookie cutter.

And the North Sea claiming the phone really cracked me up!

The next time you have petty issues with spouses at the workplace just think of these two babes.

He is still a MP, but he is there as an indepedent, as Labour have kicked him out of their parliamentary party. And this is sorta dilemma for Labour atm. They'd like to find somebody, who runs against him in his Islington North seat. If they just parachute somebody in there from the outside, then Corbyn (running as indepedent) is very likely to keep his seat, or the seat being won by another party (personally, I think that'd be a price worth paying), and that's really risking splitting the party. So they'd like to have some grassroots activist type with deep ties there to challenge him. And afaik they have thus far failed to find somebody that fits the bill.

Again, Corbyn is a complete idiot, with a negative political IQ and zero political instincts. 

He's stuck in some sorta 1980s culture, in which NATO is bad, and the SU is a force for good. Sorta of a political Pavlov's reflex. He automatically sides against US (and by extension NATO). 

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

He's stuck in some sorta 1980s culture, in which NATO is bad, and the SU is a force for good. Sorta of a political Pavlov's reflex. He automatically sides against US (and by extension NATO).

Holy shit.  And he was elected leader of Labour?  He is who they put out to be PM?  Wow…

Archived