UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

Seems to me the basic problem is, Rishi and Liz are both courting Tory party members for their vote. And what’s the overlap between Tory members and those who genuinely will have to decide between heating and eating? Could it be zero? It might be zero.

Whole different ball game if it’s a general election, but sadly it isn’t.

45 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Nah, surely not. That’s over 1000% increase, things are bad but they’re not that bad.

And those levels would be 20 times what qualifies as hyperinflation. Something’s off with that math.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And those levels would be 20 times what qualifies as hyperinflation. Something’s off with that math.

Yeah unless there is something uniquely awful going on in the UK that prevents trading on the international market, somethings off.  Natural Gas price has about doubled since the beginning of the year, which, is ya know: not great, not terrible.  I understand there are some other contributing factors (a power transmission station to the mainland down etc), but not sure how that translates into that kind of spike.  You'd think that a country as vulnerable to naval blockade and few domestic sources of energy would have a massive strategic reserve to tap into.   

13 minutes ago, horangi said:

Yeah unless there is something uniquely awful going on in the UK that prevents trading on the international market, somethings off.  Natural Gas price has about doubled since the beginning of the year, which, is ya know: not great, not terrible.  I understand there are some other contributing factors (a power transmission station to the mainland down etc), but not sure how that translates into that kind of spike.  You'd think that a country as vulnerable to naval blockade and few domestic sources of energy would have a massive strategic reserve to tap into.   

Yep. Inflation at that rate is basically what Zimbabwe was facing in 2005-06 before their inflation spiral out and was comparable to numbers seen in some post-WW2 countries. I can't imagine inflation getting anywhere close to a 20th of that in the UK.

As multiple people note in the Twitter thread, including people working in the actual energy sector, there are no price caps on commercial energy use. They can charge whatever the fuck they want.

In addition, some people have been on fixed-price tariffs for years to get energy cheap under the old prices. So companies can pull them off those prices (which they probably could have done years ago, but people using industrial amounts of energy are usually good customers and it's worthwhile to keep them around even at a lower price) and put them on a new price at will.

I have a suspicion some sort of algorithm has been applied and a lot of these people will challenge these prices and get them lowered (because it's not actually remotely affordable), but it's still going to be rough.

Surely energy price hikes of that level will actually just blow up the economy by sending a huge number of small businesses bust? Their margins are normally too tight to handle that sort of increase.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

What an enormous fucking cunt.

Sunak presumably had made plans for the pool, before he registered his ready for richy website. 

But anyway, anybody who builds a pool into their private homes/backyards is an enormous cunt. Hard to find a more frivolous way to waste waster. But the timing of that news item breaking, just when the NFU tells those two clowns to start tackling immoral wastage of water... :lmao:

It's almost like the timing of the leak was on purpose, but surely not with the Tories. 

Anyway, in Liz we Truss. :D

53 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't mean to ruin my weekends but when is someone going to organise some serious protests/riots?

Agreed but also sorry the first rule is not to talk to the rozzers about this stuff. 

Archived