UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am looking forward to the BBC movie adaption of Truss 2 years (?) in office.

I envision the role of JRM to be cast with Hugh Grant. Before you object, this casting choice makes perfect sense. His stumbling and mumbling persona from those rom-coms he did, will translate marvellously for that role. In a commons in hearing.

Did the minister manage to sign any trade agreements?

Well, eh, as the great Roman philosopher Seneca once said, and I'd like to draw your attention to it...

What was discussed in those meetings?

Well..[stutter mumbling around some Latin Phrase].

If you have a better choice for that amount of ineptness, let me know.

Personally I think Richard E. Grant is a better JRM fit. The plum in his mouth is so much plummier than Hugh's.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I envision the role of JRM to be cast with Hugh Grant. Before you object, this casting choice makes perfect sense. His stumbling and mumbling persona from those rom-coms he did, will translate marvellously for that role. In a commons in hearing.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Personally I think Richard E. Grant is a better JRM fit. The plum in his mouth is so much plummier than Hugh's.

If you want a Hugh, then go for Hugh Laurie, for the genuine Old Etonian experience 

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Besides, bumbling ineptitude is more a Boris thing

Maybe Kristen Stewart for Truss - she's got the "dead behind the eyes, being controlled by someone else" look down pat

'Dead behind the eyes' instantly made me think of Melania Trump. Cast her as Truss as an act of mercy to get her away from her husband during filming. 

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Maybe Kristen Stewart for Truss - she's got the "dead behind the eyes, being controlled by someone else" look down pat

Personally, I think this would be the perfect opportunity to revive Madonna's acting career.

The cringe in front of a camera. And a career that should've ended in the 1990s. 

14 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm just feeling sorry for our international trading partners.

'Well, at least if she becomes PM we don't have to negotiate with Truss any more'.

*Jacob Rees-Mogg enters*

*quiet sobbing*

International trading partner here.  JRM is basically what decades of Monty Python sketches and BBC dramas on public television have prepped us to expect.  He’s best described as the of the son of a twit who is related to Bertie Wooster (or perhaps a Glossop), with the soul of a Blackadder.  (And, for once, I know more of what I speak than usual.  A very close friend of my husband’s married a woman who went to school with (and is friends with, so she claims) his sister.  I’ve never met JRM, but … I know enough.  Being around the husband’s friend’s wife makes me be VERY VERY American.  I’ve thought of serving processed cheese food out of spite.)

Solidarity with Express journalists. :lol:

Journalists at rightwing Daily Express set to strike over pay

Staff from newspaper that rails against ‘militant trade unions’ will join sister outlets in striking on Friday

The Daily Express has repeatedly warned its readers that “militant trade unions” are bringing Britain to its knees – but this week many of the newspaper’s own staff will go on strike in protest at the outlet’s low pay.

They will join journalists at sister outlets including the Daily Mirror, the Daily Star and dozens of local newspapers in striking on Friday. It marks the start of a month of industrial action designed to disrupt production at the news outlets, which are all owned by publishing giant Reach.

Although one journalist at the titles acknowledged that a rightwing anti-union newspaper going on strike is a “satirist’s dream”, they insisted there is solidarity between unionised staff across all of Reach’s titles, regardless of their political stance.

Barristers voted to go on strike.

And you know those Express joirnalists writing articles about how bad strikes are and that the government needs to crack down?

They’re going on strike too. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/21/journalists-at-rightwing-daily-express-set-to-strike-over-pay

Charlie Stross has put together a compendium of all the crises in which the UK is currently immured, while the so called government has virtually just walked off the job.

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2022/08/the-gathering-crisis.html#more

Sounds like the fool that was foisted on NYC by the Dems as mayor.  He does nothing at all about anything, but he does party.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Charlie Stross has put together a compendium of all the crises in which the UK is currently immured, while the so called government has virtually just walked off the job.

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2022/08/the-gathering-crisis.html#more

Sounds like the fool that was foisted on NYC by the Dems as mayor.  He does nothing at all about anything, but he does party.

Have a heart, his bitcoin salary has taken a hit, too. 

As for current British politics.

Choose life, choose a Tory who pours shit into the rivers and beaches, and pretends to be outraged by it. Choose Liz, who is so stupid, that Dominic effing Cummings considers her proper crackers. Or choose Rishi and his milion dollar pool, who never had any blue collar friends, and can't even pretend to care and not be an aloof elitist tool. 

Archived