UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

I may be confused, but my impression is that the main difference between the Labour proposal and the current Tory plan is that the windfall tax gets backdated. That's the opposite of giving the energy companies more money, surely?

Also, it's the same plan backed by all the main opposition parties, and the other ones proposed it first. Starmer can be accused of pinching it, perhaps, but not blamed for coming up with it.

I'd like to more done too. But let's not froth about this proposal (which won't happen anyway) when the government refuse to do anything. That's the main issue here.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Ok well lets look at some other companies then. Since 2021 31 energy suppliers have gone out of business due to energy price increases not being able to be passed on to customers due to the price cap. 31!! The number is even more staggering if you go back to 2016.

I mean, I'd rather focus on the company that was effectively asset-stripped from the British people and is now screwing millions of them to the floor.

So if you're waiting for me to get out the violins for the likes of Octopus or Zebra, or any other company set up by millionaires in order to leech off the British people while simultaneously adding to the destruction of the environment for future generations, you're going to have a long wait indeed.

p.s. Great work, all this batting you're doing for gas and oil. Bet your kids would be very proud. :ack:

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

p.s. Great work, all this batting you're doing for gas and oil. Bet your kids would be very proud. :ack:

This is just stupid. I'm point out the flaws in your argument, which you continuously make. It's hard to describe how much I hate companies like Centrica (or British Gas) as they are a bunch of low lives but I also am aware that some people are giving out some super simplistic answers like nationalisation without considering what that actually means. 

No, you've been at it for weeks.  Whether it's defending the Tories for taking millions of £££ in bribes from oil and gas (you want me to dig out your old posts?), arguing against a windfall tax on oil and gas firms (you want me to dig out your old posts?), or defending obscene wartime oil and gas profiteering at the expense of people's lives.

Honestly, :ack: :ack: :ack:

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Ok well lets look at some other companies then. Since 2021 31 energy suppliers have gone out of business due to energy price increases not being able to be passed on to customers due to the price cap. 31!! The number is even more staggering if you go back to 2016.

Yes, think about that number for a moment. 31 energy suppliers. A stupidly large number for the size of the market. But of course they were all able to operate with the backstop that the consumer and/or the taxpayer would pick up the bill when they failed.

It shows the nonsense of the idea that there is any sort of real market going on. The people running those companies were mostly well aware that they would go out of business if prices went up. Their business model was to extract as much money out of the system as possible for as long as the going was good and to walk away as soon as it went bad,

Depending on your point of view, the regulator was either asleep at the wheel or placed in an impossible position. But it is extremely difficult to make out that privatisation has, in practice, been successful.

Well, Frosty managed to negotiate an opt in into Horizon.

But after Britain's refusal to enact the NI protocol, the EU has decided to retaliate. And the Horizon grants are one of the measures, which hurt the UK in a subtle way. Not headline grabbing, but effective nonetheless. 

The Times has a leak of what Truss is planning with her cabinet and it's... gruesome.

John Redwood back in government.

Rees-Mogg put in charge of international trade.

Braverman as Home Secretary.

Badenoch as either culture or education.

Sunak to be offered health, which I can only read as a poorly calculated insult. #

John Redwood though. Holy shit.

I remember saying, shortly after May became PM, that Cameron may just be our worst PM in living memory, but only until his immediate successor, and that May was likely to be the same; but I expected BJ to be the scrapings on the bottom of the barrel, and to hold that record until "living memory" had moved on from his time in charge.

Looks like I was wrong.

I'm just feeling sorry for our international trading partners.

'Well, at least if she becomes PM we don't have to negotiate with Truss any more'.

*Jacob Rees-Mogg enters*

*quiet sobbing*

I am looking forward to the BBC movie adaption of Truss 2 years (?) in office.

I envision the role of JRM to be cast with Hugh Grant. Before you object, this casting choice makes perfect sense. His stumbling and mumbling persona from those rom-coms he did, will translate marvellously for that role. In a commons in hearing.

Did the minister manage to sign any trade agreements?

Well, eh, as the great Roman philosopher Seneca once said, and I'd like to draw your attention to it...

What was discussed in those meetings?

Well..[stutter mumbling around some Latin Phrase].

If you have a better choice for that amount of ineptness, let me know.

Archived