UK Politics: The Tory leadership (disg)race to the bottom and beyond - not worth a Penny.

15 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

There are a few in devolved areas, in city politics and on the backbenches. But they mostly get filtered out before getting anywhere near prominant Westminster positions. The qualities that enable one to get ahead in Westminster and the qualities that make for a decent representative (or even just a decent human being) are a venn diagram with two circles with a couple of miles of empty space between them.

That's not quite accurate. I think there are some decent politicians on the Labour benches, for example.

The biggest issue is that the Conservative party have been on a weird ideological slow motion purge for about the last two decades and being in government for most of that time has further hollowed them out. Not one of the current Cabinet would have been anything more than a junior minister if the Tory party had any talent left to tap. They don't.

There's nothing inherent in Westminster that prevents talent getting there or emerging. The problem is that the Tory party have been so dominant and so ideologically obsessed that they haven't felt the need to identify or promote on the basis of talent.

I just finished reading Mark Carney's book Value(s). Before he became your Bank of England governor he held the same position in Canada.

One thing he mentioned was that people working in the financial industry no longer get bonuses based on short term performance but can have them clawed back up to 7 years later for malfeasance or misfeasance.

I imagine this drains the talent pool of those with larceny and a short attention span. Where else to go but into the Tory party for a career then?

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Johnson already trying to backtrack leaving

I won't say the election is over.  I will not say I didn't win.  I won't, I won't, WON'T!

6 hours ago, Liffguard said:

There are a few in devolved areas, in city politics and on the backbenches. But they mostly get filtered out before getting anywhere near prominant Westminster positions. The qualities that enable one to get ahead in Westminster and the qualities that make for a decent representative (or even just a decent human being) are a venn diagram with two circles with a couple of miles of empty space between them.

Again, a loooot like home...

A U B = ∅ 

It's the endgame of partisan politics. Voters are not encouraged to vote for the candidate that is most trustworthy, honest and capable. They are just encouraged to vote for the candidate with the right party symbol next to their name. And people are too willing to vote for a corrupt candidate wearing the right stripes than for an upstanding candidate wearing different stripes.

Well, the situation is a bit more complicated than that.

Whoever has the confidence of the majority of MPs becomes PM. Plain and simple. Thus Bozo will be removed from number 10 by the end of that Tory carnival of insanity. Will there be buyers regrets, once Liz Truss beats Sunak (if that isn't already the case). I'd guess so. Fair chance the Tories will burn through their second PM, before the next election. Bozo's chance of a comeback.

Anyway having that said. Bozo was the head clown of the Tory electoral circus for the last electoral circus. So him arguing, that he has a stronger mandate than some random backbencher nobody has ever heard of before to be PM, let's just say, I think you can make that argument.

Keir Starmer: I've changed my mind about ripoff energy and water companies. The public ownership stuff was just to get the job. I now propose ......  tougher regulation. Ta-da!

Large Parts of the British Electorate, while staring down the barrel of a £4000 electricity bill: :bang:

19 hours ago, mormont said:

Not one of the current Cabinet would have been anything more than a junior minister if the Tory party had any talent left to tap. They don't.

Well, Matt Drudge just told me Kemi Badenoch is the Tory Obama.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Meanwhile...

The presenter fainted apparently. I’m hoping for Truss’s sake that she was headed toward her to see if she was alright at the end there, if not then that was hardly Reagan’s “missed me” moment for her.

Archived