NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

Seriously folks, the previous thread was almost to page 30.

I woke up to a story in the Athletic that Boston had offered Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, and a draft pick for Durant, which the Nets rejected because they also want Smart. Perfect example of how any team that wants Durant is going to have to strip their roster. I don't want the Celtics to do this.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I woke up to a story in the Athletic that Boston had offered Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, and a draft pick for Durant, which the Nets rejected because they also want Smart. Perfect example of how any team that wants Durant is going to have to strip their roster. I don't want the Celtics to do this.

You just couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you?!!?  Would it have killed you to let it hit 30 first? :crying:

And yes, I would hate to see that.  It’s why I just sort of assume it’s not going to happen.  Durant wants to go to a contender… but the Nets want so much that any team won’t be a contender once they’ve got Durant.

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Boo!!!  As punishment for your insolence, I pray the Celts give up Brown, Smart and all their picks for KD then he promptly forces Tatum out.

According to this CBS article the Celtics offered Brown, White and a 1st round pick.  The Nets came back with Brown, Smart, multiple 1sts and "a rotation player". 

If the Celtics could get Durant for Brown, White, plus 3-4 firsts, I think they take it.  That team would be incredibly hard to stop and would match up very well with both Milwaukee and GSW.  But if you gotta include Smart, that's a bridge too far.  Durant and Brogdan are both good defenders who have lost some athleticism from injury.  But no way do they compare to Smart and Brown, who are both All-NBA defenders. 

With the lineup as currently constructed, I think Boston are title favorites.  They need good injury luck and to mature as a team, but if Brogdan can help cut back on turnovers (realistic), the team could enter the playoffs with much needed playoff experience and come out on top.  So it would be pretty crazy to change the entire defense first strategy in favor of plugging in Durant and hoping he stays healthy.  If Smart+Brown are gone, could the team survive long if Durant misses time with a hamstring injury?  I'm not really sure.  Durant is 34.  Brown is 26.  Durant is better than Brown, but it isn't even certain he'll be better than Brown by the end of his current contract (2025). 

I would keep my younger players and picks. Old man Durant could go down at anytime. He's on a potential franchise destroyer tour at this stage.

This coming season he will reach 5 yrs removed from his last Championship, I doubt he wins another, supermax guys make it challenging to have the resources left to build out all those other roster spots that you still need great play from.

Any Durant destination will be gutted of talent to swing his addition. I see another Finals this year devoid of Lebron, AD, Westbrook, Kyrie or Durant.

Think Boston already has a good roster as it stands. They overpaid for an aging Gallinari but otherwise seemed to have had a decent offseason thus far. They are probably just doing their due diligence although I'm not sure its worth the risk that Brown might take offense. 

Edit - I hope Boston do the trade to punish Dante for starting a new thread. :P

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This coming season he will reach 5 yrs removed from his last Championship,

:stunned:  Whaaaaaat?!!!?

I know the pandemic has skewed my sense of time, but that sounds crazy to me.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I would keep my younger players and picks. Old man Durant could go down at anytime. He's on a potential franchise destroyer tour at this stage.

Durant was frontrunner for MVP last November and December.

As for age...he's 4 years younger than LeBron who's still playing very well now and was 35 during the bubble championship.

He also seems to have that sort of game that ages great.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

According to this CBS article the Celtics offered Brown, White and a 1st round pick.  The Nets came back with Brown, Smart, multiple 1sts and "a rotation player". 

If the Celtics could get Durant for Brown, White, plus 3-4 firsts, I think they take it.  That team would be incredibly hard to stop and would match up very well with both Milwaukee and GSW.  But if you gotta include Smart, that's a bridge too far.  Durant and Brogdan are both good defenders who have lost some athleticism from injury.  But no way do they compare to Smart and Brown, who are both All-NBA defenders. 

I agree that they shouldnt and wont give up Smart, they will think that too much of a roster gutting.

But White and picks is ok, in addition to Brown, who yes, is very good, and that hurts. But there is talk of Brown being unhappy in Boston, has been for some time, and him might wanting to leave in 2 years.

11 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

But White and picks is ok, in addition to Brown, who yes, is very good, and that hurts. But there is talk of Brown being unhappy in Boston, has been for some time, and him might wanting to leave in 2 years.

Well if he wasn't unhappy before, it certainly won't help to be dangled as trade bait immediately after helping lead the team to the Finals.  That's the problem with the "just doing our due diligence" approach to trades.

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well if he wasn't unhappy before, it certainly won't help to be dangled as trade bait immediately after helping lead the team to the Finals.  That's the problem with the "just doing our due diligence" approach to trades.

Let's not forget they considered trading him midseason when Boston was sub .500.

Let's appreciate Bill Russell on a personal level.

Russell stood up for the right of black people to participate in American life, and it cost him personally.  It cost him time, money, and physical comfort.  And he did it anyway.  

Aside from probably being the greatest player of all time, Bill Russell was my absolute favorite commentator.  He was the anti-Bill Raftery, the anti-Billy Packer: he talked about basketball tactics and mindsets, and he told the truth, rather than blowing smoke and talking out of his ass.

When he and Rick Barry were on the mics, you better believe that you would learn the truth about what was happening out on the court.  Bad play was called out, stupid decisions were highlighted, clever off-ball action was called to your attention, and good execution was lauded.  He was also very good with Dick Stockton, who would set him up, as Bill wasn't necessarily a smooth talker.

Old Player Bill wins another championship over Wilt:  

Young Player Bill wins his second straight NCAA championship in a game played at a Trappist Monastery, without the aid of KC Jones (who the NCAA ruled as ineligible for this game):  

Bill provides color for one of the best All-Star games ever played:  

RIP Bill Russell.  I'll quote what I said about him just a month ago when we were talking about about All Time Starting 5:

If I'm making an all time starting 5 from that list, it somewhat depends on what era that team is going to play.  If it's era indeterminate (IE, could be 70s, could be 90s, could be today), I'd probably favor Magic over Curry.  Curry would be terrible in the pre-3 point era and would probably get physically mauled and injured in the 90s.  But obviously if we're talking about the last 10 years, Curry is far superior to Magic.  Then that just leaves Center, which is always extremely hard to pick.  I personally lean towards Russell, because I think that he'd be amazing in any era (obviously in later eras he would be hitting the weights more).  He doesn't need the ball nearly as much as any of the other great centers, and given the offensive players around him that's a good thing. 

Thinking Basketball also found in their stats that Russell was superior to Wilt in advanced metrics.  In addition, while Russell is often dinged for having so many hall of famers around him, their advanced metrics actually found that Russell was by far the best player on the Celtics and it was mostly Russell making his teammates look good, rather than the other way around. 

In other Thinking Basketball news, they came out with a new video on Michael Jordan, where they dug into video of his playoff performances to fill data gaps.  They found his playoff splits to be very good, but not particularly better than other all time great playoff runs like Shaq, Lebron or Curry.  However, his dominance was extremely consistent, as his level of play in the playoffs from 1988-1998 was perhaps the best decade of playoff basketball in NBA history.  The only thing I can think of that is even close would be Lebron 2012-2020.  I don't know how the advanced metrics view Lebron's performance in 2009-2011, but to the eye test it was less impressive. 

They also said that Jordan was every bit as good in 1988-1990 as he was in 1991-1998 (when we won six titles), but that his teammates around him were just not good enough to win the title.  Only when Pippen grew into a star himself, and the rest of the Bulls were built around Jordan's strengths was the team title-worthy. 

That ALLSTAR Game clip from 1983 makes me soooo miss the great Center play that is becoming a lost art in the NBA with the proliferation of perimeter strategy in today's game.

I still maintain that I enjoyed the Kareem, Russell, Moses, Wilt, etc. level, inside bangers to today's version of the game.

Russell exemplified what is missing from today's game, his passing is kind of twofold as the person has passed and the position has been murdered.

Hmm I feel differently, I prefer the style of today in which you get both superb perimeter players doing amazing 3 point shots as well as players driving to the basket and dunking.

Looking at a different favorite sport of mine, there I do prefer the play of the 90's to today, with the beautiful serve and volley style.

Archived