NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

The ironic thing about Russell's passing is that A LOT of it comprises back-to-the-basket, one-dribble hand-offs.  You could watch all of last season's NBA action and see exactly zero instances of that same passing move in today's game.

Russell will get the ball in the mid-post, back to the basket, and take one dribble, still with his back to the basket, and hand the ball to a teammate, let's say Frank Ramsey or Sam Jones, while impeding / picking / screening FR/SJ's defender.  FR/SJ hits an undefended jump-stop jump shot, everyone runs back on defense.  Every game in the 1960s that BR plays, he runs this action ten or twelve times, his teammates get a dozen unguarded fifteen footers.  Boston in the 60s is rammed with guys who can shoot this shot, and Russell just keeps on shufflin' them the ball.

It looks simplistic, and we teach a similar hand-off to our middle school girls as a basic move.  Yet as a means of generating open looks and canceling out defenders, it is just tremendously effective.  Good streaky shooters like Sam Jones heat up shooting these jumpers, and Russell just keeps screening off two defenders and slipping between them for possible offensive rebounds afterwards like some kind of hybrid Crab Robot Pickmaker / Grim Reaper of Rebounding.

And as you watch these old black and white films of games, you realize that Boston heats up and goes on these key scoring runs off this stuff that is the least sexy ball you can imagine.  Next thing you know, they have won eleven titles off the back of a guy doing the least Jumpman-like action ever devised.  No wonder his teammates loved playing with him.

Sometimes great back-to-the-basket center play can be great to watch and aesthetically pleasing, but more often it is just a grinding, unsatisfying mess.  Watching Shaq back down his man over and over was never beautiful.  IMO watching big men with stunning athleticism like Lebron and Giannis figure out how to still dominate in the modern era is quite enjoyable.  Russell would be a great player if he were in his prime today (although obviously he'd have to adjust to the times just like anybody). 

The nearest comparison in today's game would be Anthony Davis without the injury problems.  And then you imagine an NBA without a 3 point line where all the offenses want to come to the basket...it's easy to see why Russell was a dominant defender. 

Fun Russell stat: During his thirteen year career he played with seven other HoFers. Over the seasons he missed 52 regular season games. Boston went 26-26 in those games, and if you remove his rookie year they were just 10-18. SO basically without him the greatest dynasty ever was Jeff Fischer and if you remove the first season they're the Kings. 

Safe to say he had a bit of an impact. 

Clown remarks. This is when ownership should hold firm. KD's handpicked coach isn't to blame (even if he's shit):

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34371607/brooklyn-nets-governor-joe-tsai-voices-support-front-office-coaches-wake-kevin-durant-trade-demands

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Clown remarks. This is when ownership should hold firm. KD's handpicked coach isn't to blame (even if he's shit):

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34371607/brooklyn-nets-governor-joe-tsai-voices-support-front-office-coaches-wake-kevin-durant-trade-demands

I think it's just Durant making sure he gets traded instead of sitting around for 6 months like Simmons and trying to get them to lower their asking price.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has Durant said he won't play?

Well I didn't have a seat in the room with Tsai and Durant but if he is saying it's either me or the coach and the owner won't fire the coach logically that would be a yes

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Well I didn't have a seat in the room with Tsai and Durant but if he is saying it's either me or the coach and the owner won't fire the coach logically that would be a yes

Maybe if something has changed. All the chatter from insiders up to this point has indicated Durant would play if the season started and he's still on the Nets.

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But unless he has a no ttrade clause they could? Just for the lols and to teach him a lesson. 

I'm down with the spirit of your suggestion.  I'm here for it.  Just as a factual statement though, in the NBA, when making trades salaries have to match.  So you would have to trade Durant for something.  They could be two trashy overpaid players, but the salary would have to approach matching Durant's salary.

Now that the facts are out of the way, we can return to the completely rational bashing of the only guy that can make LeBron look like he knows how to construct a team.

54 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But unless he has a no ttrade clause they could? Just for the lols and to teach him a lesson. 

They could, but why would they do that? It would be a self-inflicted move that would damage the franchise for many years to come. Fact is their only options are to trade him to somewhere he wants to go to or convince him to stay.

I still think the Pelicans make the most sense for both sides. They just need to convince him off that if they're accepting he's gone for good.

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Now that the facts are out of the way, we can return to the completely rational bashing of the only guy that can make LeBron look like he knows how to construct a team.

Idk about that. Both have been shit at it. Oddly here Draymond is the one eyed king in the land of the blind.

Is there like a shortage of bipolar meds in NYC or something?

What exactly is it in that town that makes players (damn good ones at that) turn into mush heads as soon as they hit town?

Seriously, it's like a NBA wasteland of talent. There great till they get THERE.

ETA: Not even sure which there, their, thier I was supposed to use up there, their, thier.......sue me!

Archived