NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've got a nickel on Kyrie, Durant and Simmons all being on the court for Brooklyn come the start of the season.

I honestly still think Simmons is the weirdest one. The story about him leaving a group chat after teammates asked if he was playing in game 4 without saying anything is troubling. All world talent lacking the mental toughness for professional sports might simply be the answer. It would explain why he's never improved since hitting the league. 

Rumors out now that the Sixers have joined the race, KD & Harden apparently buddy's again and the Sixers listed as one of the 4 preferred destinations for KD ( joining Celtics, Suns, Heat).

The Pelicans might make a good offer but I dont think they should do it actually, stick with Ingram and the rest of that young team. Boston is different , I would trade Brown if I was them.

Whats weird is the stuff coming out about what the Knicks are supposedly willing to give for Mitchell. Picks they are ok with but dont wanna part with Grimes, Quickly, Toppin? Surely they realize Mitchell is worth those guys.

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Rumors out now that the Sixers have joined the race, KD & Harden apparently buddy's again and the Sixers listed as one of the 4 preferred destinations for KD ( joining Celtics, Suns, Heat).

What could the Sixers even offer? Maxey, Harris and two picks? That's a shit deal. 

Is this still going on? There are only thirty teams in the league. Which teams are interested and which players are available/not available should be quite clear. Surely if they couldn't find a deal by now, they aren't getting one. Might as well punt to the start of the season when circumstances have changed.

To think that the Sixers and Nets were a Kawhi bounce and a Durant toe away from beating the eventual champions. And Kawhi even left the Raptors after he won. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Is this still going on? There are only thirty teams in the league. Which teams are interested and which players are available/not available should be quite clear. Surely if they couldn't find a deal by now, they aren't getting one.

Tell that to the Niners.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Interesting that he's staying. We are also expected to see some players move now that this big one has been resolved.

It was kind of predictable and the Nets were clearly trying to keep him. Their asking price was simply too high (thank the Wolves for that) and I'm sure they made it clear to him that they weren't going to trade him at a discount. At that point the only teams that could make a deal and still be competitive were Boston, NO and Denver* and it's unclear if those situations were an improvement assuming Simmons plays. Ultimately this may be what's best for KD and the Nets.

*I really would have liked to see what a KD and Joker combo would have looked like, especially if they could have kept MPJ

Seems like the Knicks and Jazz are closing in on a Mitchell deal.

If the Knicks do what's expected and pay even more than the Wolves did for Gobert they'll be fucked for the foreseeable future. 

The Nets were clearly hoping that they could run out the clock and make Durant play with them this year.  I'm not surprised they succeeded.  Like I've said before, a team of Durant, Irving and Simmons has enough star talent to win a title.   Now they just need to play well together, stay healthy and fill out spots 4-7 on the roster with playable guys.  None of those things are easy, but getting enough star talent to win is always the hardest hurdle in the NBA.  Each year there's only 3-6 teams with enough talent to do that, so being on that list is a good place to be. 

Do I think the Nets will win a title this year?  No, I think it's very unlikely because all three of those guys are injury prone, Simmons and Irving are both problematic for non-basketball reasons, and the Nets depth was completely exposed in the Celtics series.  But there's clearly a better chance for Durant to win a title this year in Brooklyn than with 75% of the teams in the league.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sad, but totally predictable. Is that one of those permanent injuries? 

Certainly can be.  Not always.  But you know how those 8 foot bodies hold up to stress on the feet.  :dunno: 

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

So who is the Michael Jordan in this scenario?

I don't really think of Bowie in the context of Jordan.  I think of Bowie in the context of how I remember him dominating the game before his injury at the end of his sophomore year.  Cawood Ledford would rhapsodize about him on the radio, and I saw him play at Rupp as a freshman, and then I saw him play (twice!) at the YMCA in Lebanon, and then again at Rupp as a sophomore.

This was just at the right age for me to see him as an ideal, "modern" big man, and it was the golden age of college bigs.  Bowie, Ewing, Daugherty, Sampson, Turpin, Perkins, etc. - those guys all were exciting to watch, and college basketball was thrilling to me for the period between the Big Game (Michigan State-Indiana State) up until the death of Len Bias.

Anyway, I the situation with Chet just feels similar, where a serious talent is lost to the NBA because of an injury that is hard to come back from.

Lisfranc Injury.

Out for the season.  Damn.  Hate it for the kid and does not bode well given the history we've already talked about.  If I'm the Thunder, I go 100% in on the Embiid plan where they shut him down completely until fully healthy and then go slowly after that.

So I am not a big or even little NBA guy but even I have a major bitch here. What the actual fuck are LeBron James and Holmgren doing playing in these games@@?@>@>?  So during the NBA season when people are paying big bucks to see them they can take time off for rest?? WTF

Yeah I'm sure they would practice anyway but damn I'd be extra pissed if the game I saved $$ to go to with my kid and he sat out for rest and then plays in this bullshit.

Archived