NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

9 hours ago, Relic said:

Will anyone think of the billionaire owners? And the poor children that wont get to see their favorite rookie play? Sorry if you find that snarky, but your outrage just smacks of entitlement. The dude got injured doing what he loves to do while prepping for the season. Shit happens. 

What outrage? The only time I was close to upset was when someone who I don't normally interact with jumped in acting all superior. Entitled, lol yeah that's me. 

The conversation was mainly on stars resting during the season when people pay to see them, but then play while in their off time. I guess the fans who pay to see them are all jerks and snow flakes for expecting to see the players play.

13 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The conversation was mainly on stars resting during the season when people pay to see them, but then play while in their off time. I guess the fans who pay to see them are all jerks and snow flakes for expecting to see the players play.

The fans wouldn't like it if they turned up out of shape and out of practice either though. 

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't understand your objection. What do you expect the players to do? Do nothing but swim? Report to training camp an extra month or two earlier? Report to training camp rusty and out of shape? Play badly while fatigued and get injured and miss multiple months?

And again, its months out from the season starting. They have time to recover from this. They aren't playing back to backs, three games in four days, flying after games and playing the next.

If you don't want to see players rest, take it up with the scheduling instead. Reduce games. Extend the season. Or have them play in a bubble environment where they don't have to travel. 

18 hours ago, Calibandar said:

They brought in the player Westbrook hates the most which definitely suggests they want him out but its not up to Russ either way is it.

Wow, i didn't think of that. They DO hate each other, don't they. Pat Bev took out one of Russ' knees some years back, right? Cold ass move by the Lakers.

A part of me sees Zion coming back in a dominating fashion.

Coming back in such a fashion that a lot of us may be eating some of the aspersions cast. He has mentioned being bothered by the press he got, i read that as it motivated the hell out of him.

A motivated monster on our hands, it may be hurricane season out of NOLA?

Unless the legs/feet give out again on that football sized frame of his?

If he stays healthy i can see +30/15/60% MVP type play, its going to be interesting. 

More intriguing for me than the Lakers/Nets bs dramarama.

That's a lot to give up for one guy, but this feels like a decent trade for Cleveland.  Losing the picks means they lack flexibility to bring in significant other reinforcements, but the guys they're losing are replaceable.  A core of Garland/Allen/Mobley/Mitchell is pretty impressive, and they're all under 26.  If they can keep that group together financially and they all continue to grow as players, this is a championship contender for years to come. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

That's a lot to give up for one guy, but this feels like a decent trade for Cleveland.  Losing the picks means they lack flexibility to bring in significant other reinforcements, but the guys they're losing are replaceable.  A core of Garland/Allen/Mobley/Mitchell is pretty impressive, and they're all under 26.  If they can keep that group together financially and they all continue to grow as players, this is a championship contender for years to come. 

Was not expecting that trade.  Don't love it.  Feels like the Cavs gave up too much.  

Cavs might have the best core of 25 and under guys in the league right now, though.

Fantastic deal for the Cavs. They lose 2 shooting guards and get 1 in return but they have LeVert, Okoro,  but overall thats a great strengthening of their team.

They got Rubio coming back around the New Year, still have Kevin Love who had a bounceback season, the big question is now that small forward position where there is a gap ( unless Osman is considered a viable starter at that position for a playoff team). 

Losers of this trade IMO? The Knicks, and the Heat. Knicks should have done that deal but instead extend Barrett who I am lukewarm on. And the Heat end up without either Durant or Mitchell while the East gets stronger and Jimmy Butler a year older and new expensive signing Kyle Lowry barely playing anymore.

Great haul for Utah? Well those are 3 decent players, and 3 picks that are likely to be outside of the lottery, I dont love it. The 2 pick swaps are not likely to be conveyed because Utah will be worse the next few years for sure.

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Fantastic deal for the Cavs. They lose 2 shooting guards and get 1 in return but they have LeVert, Okoro,  but overall thats a great strengthening of their team.

They got Rubio coming back around the New Year, still have Kevin Love who had a bounceback season, the big question is now that small forward position where there is a gap ( unless Osman is considered a viable starter at that position for a playoff team). 

Losers of this trade IMO? The Knicks, and the Heat. Knicks should have done that deal but instead extend Barrett who I am lukewarm on. And the Heat end up without either Durant or Mitchell while the East gets stronger and Jimmy Butler a year older and new expensive signing Kyle Lowry barely playing anymore.

Great haul for Utah? Well those are 3 decent players, and 3 picks that are likely to be outside of the lottery, I dont love it. The 2 pick swaps are not likely to be conveyed because Utah will be worse the next few years for sure.

I just read that the Cavs will have 20-25 million in cap space next summer, which makes me feel a lot better about their ability to plug the gaping hole they've got at small forward that obviously will no longer be being filled by LeBron.  

I was surprised you didnt love the deal because the Cavs supposedly gave up a lot.

I would do this deal in an instant. I'm surprised Utah settled for those Cavs picks, most of which will be in the 15-30 range of the draft. I can only imagine Utah did this deal because they couldn't get something better.

Yes, Mitchell isn't good enough to be 1a of a championship team, which is what the Knicks would be expecting him to be.  The Cavs are hoping their young guys develop and Mitchell becomes third banana, which he is more than capable of doing. 

Kind of agree with him though in that the Knicks missed out.

They still have a decent team with some potentially good youngsters though. Was listening to the BS Podcast and apparently the Knicks offered Barrett, Quickley and 2 first round picks and Utah turned that down and then settled for this Cavs package.

Archived