NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Man… and I just found out he was with Nia Long when this happened.

Safe to say he done fucked up. His best selling point was that he was able to parley his shitty playing career into a LTR with her.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

No clue who wins it all. There is good parity in the game currently. 

Hope Denvers returning players can get back to pre injury levels. And George and Leonard play a meaningful amount of minute. 

I do have to say that this may be the first time in my time following the NBA (so early 90s) that I really don't know who I would say is the favorite before the season.  Mayyyyyybe that first year when Michael was gone.  There were plenty of years the team you thought would win it didn't (Pistons over Lakers I'm looking at you...) but even so, you thought you kind of understood where the lay of the land was before the season started.  Should make for a fun year.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

That is a good piece.  I've always been a fan of Wall, he didn't work out in DC, but he did everything you can expect a professional athlete to do.  I hope he wins a ring someday. 

I hope he comes back and can play at a top level with the Clippers.  Obviously, I don't see him getting a ring with them; but I could definitely see him being a vet that hops on with a team like Milwaukee and helps contribute to a title later.  A lot will just depend on how his health holds up.  He was never going to be a guy that translated to a 20 year career in my mind because his truly elite skill was his unbelievable speed, and that isn't going to hold up into his 30s with a surgically repaired achilles.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I hope he comes back and can play at a top level with the Clippers.  Obviously, I don't see him getting a ring with them; but I could definitely see him being a vet that hops on with a team like Milwaukee and helps contribute to a title later.  A lot will just depend on how his health holds up.  He was never going to be a guy that translated to a 20 year career in my mind because his truly elite skill was his unbelievable speed, and that isn't going to hold up into his 30s with a surgically repaired achilles.

Is it obvious?  A lot needs to go right, but if George and Leonard are healthy, that team is pretty talented.  They match up reasonably well with GSW and they might be the only team in the west I'd say that about. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Is it obvious?  A lot needs to go right, but if George and Leonard are healthy, that team is pretty talented.  They match up reasonably well with GSW and they might be the only team in the west I'd say that about. 

:dunno:  I mean... they are still the Clippers though, right???

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

:dunno:  I mean... they are still the Clippers though, right???

Yes.  It probably will fail and quite possibly in spectacular fashion.  But they have a decent supporting cast and if Leonard, George and Wall are all healthy in the playoffs, they will be an extremely tough out.  Yes, they haven't been healthy in playoff time yet, but it could happen. 

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Matt Barnes is implying that there's a lot more to this story than the general public has heard.

A friend sent me this.  I don’t know where he read it, but he’s a level headed guy who follows lots of NBA news.

So the Cs didn’t care about Udoka’s relationship until he apparently started aggressively sexually harassing her once everybody found out about it. Once Nia Long found out (via the Cs investigation), he started harassing the woman.

So as I say, don’t know the veracity… but that makes total sense to me.

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

A friend sent me this.  I don’t know where he read it, but he’s a level headed guy who follows lots of NBA news.

So the Cs didn’t care about Udoka’s relationship until he apparently started aggressively sexually harassing her once everybody found out about it. Once Nia Long found out (via the Cs investigation), he started harassing the woman.

So as I say, don’t know the veracity… but that makes total sense to me.

I was listening to the Ryan Russillo podcast on the Ringer and he was saying the same thing, there is more going on he says, and the public has not been told.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:26 PM, Rhom said:

I do have to say that this may be the first time in my time following the NBA (so early 90s) that I really don't know who I would say is the favorite before the season.  Mayyyyyybe that first year when Michael was gone.  There were plenty of years the team you thought would win it didn't (Pistons over Lakers I'm looking at you...) but even so, you thought you kind of understood where the lay of the land was before the season started.  Should make for a fun year.

Yeah there really is an amazing string of contenders right now. I keep waiting for the Lakers to actually do something that could also make them contend, considering this may be LeBron's last year at the very top level. Bogdanovic just signed elsewhere already, options are getting slimmer, and considering how little the Jazz got back for him its clear the Lakers could have had him as well.

Just watched game 5 of the ‘91 finals on NBA TV(Jordan’s 1st). The amount of travels called was astonishing. I’d say like 8 or 9 at least, and on guys like Jordan and Magic and at pivotal moments. It just makes me laugh because my dad used to say they got away with murder back when this was live. 

Literally every travel then wouldn’t have been called now. The little step before dribbling.

Archived