NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

Wiggins doing a bit of everything in his 30 mins, I feel his finals performance last year has done him the world of good, plus being in the right environment. 

Stephen, Klay and Poole all shooting poor from 3 and still handing LA a hiding bodes well (if you are a GSW fan). 

I'm really surprised that Poole got $30 million more than Wiggins.  Poole was a nice bonus, but not exactly essential in that postseason run.  Whereas Wiggins was the second best player on the Warriors for most of the Finals. 

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I'm really surprised that Poole got $30 million more than Wiggins.  Poole was a nice bonus, but not exactly essential in that postseason run.  Whereas Wiggins was the second best player on the Warriors for most of the Finals. 

I had the same reaction, but it turns out that number is a little inaccurate. Poole’s real contract value over those four years is going to be in the $123M-$128M range. $12M of that contract are unlikely bonuses with $8M coming from Poole winning four straight MVPs and DOPYs (0% chance of happening).  $123M is the floor and the other $5M comes from minimum games played and how far the team goes in the playoffs. So even if we give Poole the high end at $128M he’ll make $132M over the next five years compared to Wiggins making $143M (my understanding is his contract doesn’t have much by way of unlikely bonuses).

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Methinks the Magic chose wisely. Could do worse than 27/9/5/2 to start your career...

Heh, I was just starting a post when you at'ed me.  Really encouraging opening game for the Magic -- I'll gladly take the L.  Banchero did what you said.  Suggs had 21 points in 25 minutes on 8/11 shooting, 4/6 from 3.  He went off in the third quarter, definitely best stretch of his pro career thus far.  He fouled out hence the limited minutes, but meh.  Carter and Wagner both look rock solid.  And again, losing a close game is ideal after reading about the draft class over the past week.  It's not just Wembanyama, this class looks really good.  Only weird thing is Cole Anthony didn't play even though as far as I can tell he's perfectly healthy.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, I was just starting a post when you at'ed me.  Really encouraging opening game for the Magic -- I'll gladly take the L.  Banchero did what you said.  Suggs had 21 points in 25 minutes on 8/11 shooting, 4/6 from 3.  He went off in the third quarter, definitely best stretch of his pro career thus far.  He fouled out hence the limited minutes, but meh.  Carter and Wagner both look rock solid.  And again, losing a close game is ideal after reading about the draft class over the past week.  It's not just Wembanyama, this class looks really good.  Only weird thing is Cole Anthony didn't play even though as far as I can tell he's perfectly healthy.

Totally agree. I'm just box score watching, but as you said the core young players you should be hoping to build around had very good statistical outings. Developing them is what this season is entirely about and barring injuries, you're in a heads I win, tails you lose situation. If you sneak into the play-in the young guys get seasoned a year or two earlier than expected and if not you get one more potentially nice bullet in the chamber before it's time to get competitive, and you should have cap space to attract a nice FA in the offseason. 

I want Wemby to go to Houston, but he'd also be fun with that young core. Please god don't let him go to Utah.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

if not you get one more potentially nice bullet in the chamber before it's time to get competitive

They also have the Bulls pick, top-4 protected.  So I'm rooting for them to suck, but not too much.

ETA:  Oh, the interesting thing about the game - I didn't watch much as I was primarily watching the Yanks until Schmidt just blew it - but in the first quarter they had Bol Bol out there with Carter and Banchero.  Which means Banchero was playing three.  I don't think they have much of a chance to get Wemby, but apparently they're preparing!

Wolves win a nail bitter against the terrible Thunder, but I'm not worried. They built up a huge early lead and then spent two quarters making Gobert fit in. And he was easily the best player on our side. People will see 23 points, 16 boards and a block but that doesn't describe his night at all. Damn near every time a player went into the paint against him they jacked up a horrible shot or passed out, often times also poorly. He alone disrupted at least a dozen plays just in that area and I have no idea how many tipped rebounds he also accounted for on either end. 

A lot of people who don't follow the team also wondered why they overpaid to keep McDaniels. He only had 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks while being equally disruptive all over the court, and unlike Gobert he's not a bad shooter. Russell had a typical game, uneven, but he scored 20 and hit some big shots. Ant and KAT by comparison did very little scoring, but they both had 7 assists which suggests there was a plan to get the other guys involved a lot. 

It's weird going into a season where I expect something from the team that as of 2020 had the worst winning percentage of any North American professional sports team. 

25 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

My Pelicans are looking good.

They kicked the Nets' teeth in. 

I know that it is one game and +/- is not necessarily reflective of a player's contribution particularly in a small sample size, and is also dependent on teammates, the opponent and luck, that they lost by more than a greater margin but DeAndre Jordan went -13 in 6 minutes.

I mean Malone tends to play Jokic with the starters and Jordan being the back up to Jokic means that he pretty much has to play with the bench, but I still don't see the point. Are there no other options? Can they not just bring D league guys on 10 day contracts until they hit on one?

Westbrook 0-11 yesterday in another very bad Lakers game.

They have to do something if they want to have any hopes this year, surely they are not just gonna squander what might well be LeBron's last great year..

9 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Still can’t believe anyone on the Lakers thought that was a good trade idea. Like either the management should have had two brain cells about it or that James and Co should have thought for a second for pushing to get him.

Yeah, huge over-reaction to their first round loss to the Suns. Very very dumb.

7 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Still can’t believe anyone on the Lakers thought that was a good trade idea. Like either the management should have had two brain cells about it or that James and Co should have thought for a second for pushing to get him.

As I recall, LeBron had always been pushing for a player to share the playmaking burden despite his teams performing better when built around him, and that great players can always just make it work.

And for whatever reason, even putting Westbrook aside, the Lakers seemed to think it was 2014 instead of 2021 last year.

The trade was always a bad idea... but I don't think anyone could have predicted the complete breakdown.  He at least looked like he had a little left in the tank when he was in Washington.  :dunno: 

Archived