NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The trade was always a bad idea... but I don't think anyone could have predicted the complete breakdown.  He at least looked like he had a little left in the tank when he was in Washington.  :dunno: 

They gave away shooting and defense for a guy who...does what exactly? One of the worst trades in recent NBA history.

Gotta say I didn't realize how much of a perk being able to watch every Magic game would be when I moved back down to central Florida.  Third straight competitive loss, and they've all been a joy to watch.  Banchero has been very inefficient shooting-wise the last two games, but the most encouraging thing is he's getting to the line.  26 attempts in 3 games, shooting 80%.  That's how you still average 23 points in three games despite shitty shooting in two of them.  I'm also quite impressed by his defense thus far.  He's not nearly as athletically overmatched as I expected him to be, and he gives good effort which is half the battle.

Wagner disappeared offensively against the Hawks in the second game last night, but you can still tell he's close to breaking out.  He simply needs to be more assertive.  Suggs didn't do much offensively last night, but he kept Trae Young to 0 points in the first half...and then sprained his ankle.  Anyway, the dude looks awesome on D, if nothing else.  After missing the first game due to illness, Cole Anthony has been outstanding -- and very needed with Suggs' injury.  Other than falling in love with the 3-pointer against the Hawks and going 0 for 7, Carter remains rock solid.  Finally, Bol Bol is a fun-as-hell backup.  He had 6/5/4 tonight in 15 minutes.

Really love this team.  Be nice to see them all healthy - with Fultz and maybe even the ghost of Jonathan Isaac - at the same time, but that's probably hoping too much.

Sixers 0 and 3. Even lost to the Spurs, who have won 2 out of 3. It reminds one of Utah winning 2 out of 2, surely that cannot be what Danny Ainge wants to see after getting rid of Mitchell and Gobert. Utah is gonna have to trade some of these guys.

Rookie of the Year looks like it will be a race between Banchero, Ivey, Mathurin and Murray. If only the Heat would actually play Jovic, he might be in the conversation.

Its still early.

And if they haven't traded players like Clarkson it probably means there are no takers desperate enough to offer them a good return yet. Conley and Gay probably have to be bought out even if another team wants them.

Think Markkanen and Sexton are young enough that they'd want to keep them even if it means they play themselves out of the good lottery odds. Having that many draft picks isn't useful if you can't find minutes for the picks or package them for a player or higher/future pick anyway.

I don’t quite understand anyone on that team. We’ve known for years all LeBron needs is some guys who are capable three point shooters and they’ll make the playoffs easily. That plus AD should be a 45-50 win team. 

I still have no idea how anyone thought Westbrook was a smart pickup. Why did James want a guy who can’t shoot the ball and why did management want him either. I also just don’t understand some star players in the league. Only other sport you sometime see this with is NFL QBs. Like Westbrook is clearly a talented and hard working dude to get where he’s gotten but does he have any self awareness? Like he has to know he just can’t make shots so why does he keep doing this? At least Simmons realizes he’s a crappy shooter and changes his game. Russ just keeps jacking up bad shots. There are other things he can do to contribute like drive the basket, rebound and play some D. Just stop thinking that anything you’re going to shoot is going to go in. Definition of insanity and all that.

1 hour ago, Arakasi said:

I don’t quite understand anyone on that team. We’ve known for years all LeBron needs is some guys who are capable three point shooters and they’ll make the playoffs easily. That plus AD should be a 45-50 win team. 

LeBron plus shooters has been the blueprint for 15 years, so of course the Lakers thought it would be wise to put two of the worst outside shooters in league history alongside him.

but does he have any self awareness? 

Typically star players are the last to know they're cooked. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Typically star players are the last to know they're cooked. 

Had me thinking of a Bill Simmons podcast I watched the other day talking about the dearth of QBs between Brady and 2018 draft. They talked about your fav guy (Russel) and his issues in that he’s realized his old game he’s not capable of anymore with throwing on the run and he’s trying to turn himself into late career Drew Brees and he’s having a real hard time reinventing himself. But at least the guy is trying to do that. Westbrook is just sitting around hucking up long distance jumpers like he’s always done.

1 hour ago, Arakasi said:

Had me thinking of a Bill Simmons podcast I watched the other day talking about the dearth of QBs between Brady and 2018 draft. They talked about your fav guy (Russel) and his issues in that he’s realized his old game he’s not capable of anymore with throwing on the run and he’s trying to turn himself into late career Drew Brees and he’s having a real hard time reinventing himself. But at least the guy is trying to do that. Westbrook is just sitting around hucking up long distance jumpers like he’s always done.

Idk if there's been a dearth between Brady and 2018. There were a lot of QBs who came around during that period, they just weren't as sustainable because how could anyone be expected to last as long as he has.

As to Wilson, no he hasn't. He's doing the exact same shit sans running for yards as used to do, just more poorly. One might say the two Russells are aging poorly together, as expected. 

12 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Speaking of someone who has improved Ja Morant has really taken his game to another level. Put a ton of time into getting his 3 stroke down. Could be a top five player in the league now.

Everyone's top five has eight players in it right now.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oof, 21 points and 18 fouls through four games is just rough to hear for Simmons. He might just be fundamentally broken, which would be a shame. 

Yep. I think he is both a total arsehole but also someone who is pretty unwell. 

LA should just blow it up. Get what trade or player assets they can get for LeBron and AD, ride out the last year of RW's contract and rebuild. Maybe luck into the no 1 pick. There is no path to making use of LeBron so why persevere? 

Banchero's ability to drive and get to the line is incredible for a guy his size. Even with our laughable current spacing he's getting to the line 9 times per game. We seems to have finally found the star scorer we have needed for so long. Even against the Cavs duo of Mobley and Allen he was still able to get to the line quite a bit even though the rest of the starters shot 2/15 from 3. His passing is also really good. Outside shot has been subpar so far, but the stroke looks good.

But we were still be a bad team this year since we have barely any vets and half the roster is always injured.

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

LA should just blow it up. Get what trade or player assets they can get for LeBron and AD, ride out the last year of RW's contract and rebuild. Maybe luck into the no 1 pick. There is no path to making use of LeBron so why persevere? 

The problem is if they luck into the #1 pick, the Pelicans have swap rights, so they just give it away.  The 2024 pick the Pelicans already own, although New Orleans has the right to swap that pick for the Lakers 2025 first rounder in the event that they think the 2025 pick will be more valuable than 2024.  It is only from 2026 onward that the Lakers have their picks. 

So a full teardown and rebuild would be extremely limited in LA.  They could get some assets for Davis and Lebron I'm sure, although probably not as much as they'd like.  Lebron may not be worth his max contract (for the first time in his career), and with Davis' injury issues he might not be either. 

Nonetheless, I wish they would do this.  I don't want Lebron's final years wasted on this abysmal roster.  Sure, Lebron's terrible GM skills are part of the reason this roster sucks so much, but I want to see Lebron the player, not Lebron the GM.  I would love to see Lebron in Milwaukee, although they probably don't have the trade assets to make it worthwhile. 

Archived