NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

The main thing is that he just doesn't seem to impact winning basketball games the way he used to.  He can still go out there and put up numbers, but they're starting to feel like empty stats.

Yeah I think the difference between his expected and actual FG% may - in addition to simple bad luck - be reflective of him trying to do too much.  Which means he'd have to adapt to let his teammates carry the load in certain facets, which..they simply don't have the personnel to do so.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You can take a post out of Florida, but you can't Florida out of a post or something.

For a horse named stranger you sure like beating this dead one.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah I think the difference between his expected and actual FG% may - in addition to simple bad luck - be reflective of him trying to do too much.  Which means he'd have to adapt to let his teammates carry the load in certain facets, which..they simply don't have the personnel to do so.

Probably doesn't help that Davis looks like a shell of his former self, too.  He's still good, just like LeBron is still good, but neither guy seems to be capable of doing the things they could just a few years ago.  LeBron is just getting old and Davis' back seems fucked.

Wolves down by over 20 at halftime and I'm out. This is why they traded for Gobert (who is out). KAT, for all his upside on offense, cannot protect the paint at all. I don't get why his career has gone this way on that side of the ball considering early on he showed a lot of promise as a rim protector. 

Magic won their second game in a row, beating the Suns convincingly.  They keep this up and unfortunately I may have to abandon the Wemby Watch.  What's interesting is Banchero rolled his ankle on Monday and has missed both of these games.  13 games in and he's already Patrick Ewing.

Play in the NBA today is really delightful, and fans are spoiled for all the excellent basketball that is available.  Such a huge step forward from the awkward pseudo-violence of the 90s, or the labored efforts of much of the league in the decade after the turn of the century.

Other than some uncomfortable fluctuations in officiating, we as fans really are spoiled with all the excellence in team play both ways, as well as individual excellence.  If you had told me in 1986 that Manute Bol's son would be a smooth and effective NBA three-point shooter and handle the ball like a guard, I would have laughed in your face.

A good example is the recent Cavs-Warriors game, where both teams played excellent team defense, individuals showcased their talents, and game plans and spacing allowed both teams to excel offensively.  

My favorite thing about this season so far is that refs are actually calling traveling.  

Hopefully this isn’t like last year where they just dumped the officiating changes midway through the season for no reason. 

Archived