NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont care what the franchise is blabbing out, im still not convinced it wasnt Nash that fired Brooklyn instead of the other way around.

Word. If you are Nash I SORT OF understand coming back after what happened this summer, but seeing how this season started...why sully yourself with the stink of these people? Kyrie is a fucking joke, and is hell bent on being one forever, Durant is a sullen child, and Simmons is cooked. Fuck that shit if you're a two time MVP.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

How do you figure that??

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Word. If you are Nash I SORT OF understand coming back after what happened this summer, but seeing how this season started...why sully yourself with the stink of these people? Kyrie is a fucking joke, and is hell bent on being one forever, Durant is a sullen child, and Simmons is cooked. Fuck that shit if you're a two time MVP.

Yeah.  Nash may in fact be a terrible coach, but I don't think this time in Brooklyn has any informative value on whether or not that's true.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

How do you figure that??

There was no apparent scheme, he wasn't able to get through to his players and he didn't make any of them better. Plus he didn't stand up for himself. I knew his ass was grass when he said the Nets could grow from the Kyrie situation. Dude, your owner is openly saying all but fuck this guy and you're trying to fix it? He would have had a better chance of surviving if he said Kyrie was no longer playing for this team.

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There was no apparent scheme, he wasn't able to get through to his players and he didn't make any of them better. Plus he didn't stand up for himself. I knew his ass was grass when he said the Nets could grow from the Kyrie situation. Dude, your owner is openly saying all but fuck this guy and you're trying to fix it? He would have had a better chance of surviving if he said Kyrie was no longer playing for this team.

He gave a corporate answer. If he says "Kyrie is no longer playing" he gets fired. 

Seems pretty clear to me Nash didn't like the corporate shit he had to say after being put in an extremely shitty situation and then deked. Good for him.

I will say that it was an interesting strategy by Brooklyn to attempt to put out the Kyrie Irving anti-Semitism fire by hiring a coach who was suspended the entire year by Boston for repeatedly sexually harassing a female coworker. 

Also, how are neither Irving nor Udoka suspended by the NBA?  Why are they handling these guys with such kid gloves when they’ve been so heavy handed in the past dealing out suspensions for similar conduct under Silver? 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I will say that it was an interesting strategy by Brooklyn to attempt to put out the Kyrie Irving anti-Semitism fire by hiring a coach who was suspended the entire year by Boston for repeatedly sexually harassing a female coworker. 

Also, how are neither Irving nor Udoka suspended by the NBA?  Why are they handling these guys with such kid gloves when they’ve been so heavy handed in the past dealing out suspensions for similar conduct under Silver? 

Brooklyn really seems to want to concentrate a lot of the elements of a prime dumpster fire within their team at the moment.  The press won't know what scandal to ask about, there will be so many.

Is it genius or madness?

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Brooklyn really seems to want to concentrate a lot of the elements of a prime dumpster fire within their team at the moment.  The press won't know what scandal to ask about, there will be so many.

Josh Primo is available...

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Josh Primo is available...

Brooklyn isn't all that far from the headquarters of the New York Jets...  They could bring Primo on board and then ask the Jets how they handled Brett Favre... 

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

He gave a corporate answer. If he says "Kyrie is no longer playing" he gets fired. 

Seems pretty clear to me Nash didn't like the corporate shit he had to say after being put in an extremely shitty situation and then deked. Good for him.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

It's a bit of speculation, but I trust Amin Elhassan and Tom Haberstroh and they said on their pod yesterday that Nash was probably already effectively fired during the offseason unless the Nets looked great out the gate, and that KD has spent time recruiting and pushing for Udoka for months.

Can the NBA suspend Udoka? He broke team rules, and while people have said they flatly know bad shit happened behind the scenes, I've never seen an exact account of everything wrong he did. 

Kyrie, otoh, has been told publicly by Silver that they will meet, and I suspect if Kyrie doesn't do exactly what Silver wants (notably a public and private apology from a guy who can't apologize) he'll be facing a serious ban (and I think there's a decent chance no team ever signs him again). It's worth noting the NBA has and has had far more Jewish owners than any other major sports league and the two most important Commissioners in the sport's history are Jewish and they've run the league for nearly 40 years. I promise you they want to give him the chance to walk this back, but if he doesn't I'd be shocked if the hammer isn't brought down.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a bit of speculation, but I trust Amin Elhassan and Tom Haberstroh and they said on their pod yesterday that Nash was probably already effectively fired during the offseason unless the Nets looked great out the gate, and that KD has spent time recruiting and pushing for Udoka for months.

Whether he was fired or not - and I agree with you he probably was - I don't get how you can conclude Nash is a shitty coach based on this dumpster fire.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Whether he was fired or not - and I agree with you he probably was - I don't get how you can conclude Nash is a shitty coach based on this dumpster fire.

If you want to cite the dumpster fire that is the Nets organization, that's fine, but I fail to see anything Nash did that was a real positive. It's not connecting with his stars, it's not scheme or adjustments and it's not commanding respect. Honestly if I was him I probably would have resigned the moment Kyrie and KD said they don't view him as their HC right after he was hired. Seemed like the writing was on the wall from the jump.

Also, and this is a personal bias of mine, I don't think great players tend to make great coaches even if they're as smart as a guy like Nash is. No matter the sport, I tend to believe players that had to grind like crazy just to stay in their respective leagues have better results, all things considered. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not connecting with his stars, it's not scheme or adjustments and it's not commanding respect. Honestly if I was him I probably would have resigned the moment Kyrie and KD said they don't view him as their HC right after he was hired. Seemed like the writing was on the wall from the jump.

Meh this seems like silly bravado on your part.  Not "commanding respect" of the players involved?  Gimme a fucking break.  As for great players not being good coaches, this is obviously contradicted by the myriad of point guards that go into coaching, including great ones - starting with Lenny Wilkins.  Concluding Nash can't be a good or even great coach based of his Nets tenure is decidedly hasty.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh this seems like silly bravado on your part.  Not "commanding respect" of the players involved?  Gimme a fucking break.  As for great players not being good coaches, this is obviously contradicted by the myriad of point guards that go into coaching, including great ones - starting with Lenny Wilkins.  Concluding Nash can't be a good or even great coach based of his Nets tenure is decidedly hasty.

Again, his two star players said from the jump they didn't really view him like a HC and then walked all over him. Not really sure how that's bravado. Just seems kind of obvious. And I wasn't trying to imply star players can't become good coaches, I just believe the average ones overall are more successful because they could never just rest on talent alone. Maybe Nash gets another chance and has success, but like I said, I didn't see him do much of anything that going forward makes me believe he'll be a good coach or even deserves a second chance.

In other news, the Nets suspend Kyrie for five games and I'm sure his subpar public comments today played a role. If he has real friends in his camp they'll tell him his job is on the line next week with Silver.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, his two star players said from the jump they didn't really view him like a HC and then walked all over him.

This is blatantly eliding the fact his two star players are world class douchebags.  Hell, even if they weren't, how many good-great coaches has LeBron walked all over?  Seems a really stupid way to judge a coach.

Archived