NBA 2022 off-season: the Durant Decision

DanteGabriel

Honestly i dont think the Nets or the Lakers merit as much press or conversation as they are getting this season for their very marginal performances and poor chances of being in the mix for deep playoff runs.

Screw them, these pundits should promote all the new talent and rising stars instead of obsessing over yesteryears stars and drama queens.

26 minutes ago, briantw said:

Cavs down their two best players walked into Detroit and beat the absolute fuck out of the Pistons.  This team is for real. 

I mean, it's still the Pistons.  I really like their core as well but let's not pretend they're decidedly a bottom five team.  Hell they have the worst point differential in the league by a significant margin.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, it's still the Pistons.  I really like their core as well but let's not pretend they're decidedly a bottom five team.  Hell they have the worst point differential in the league by a significant margin.

I know they're bad, but this is the exact type of game this Cavs team would have lost last year.  

Just now, briantw said:

I know they're bad, but this is the exact type of game this Cavs team would have lost last year.  

Fair enough.  I like the Cavs and am rooting for them, but gotta say watching them against the Magic a week or so ago I was disappointed in how little impact Mobley had on the game.  The box score says he scored 20 but I barely noticed.  That's not always a bad thing, but I expected more.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Fair enough.  I like the Cavs and am rooting for them, but gotta say watching them against the Magic a week or so ago I was disappointed in how little impact Mobley had on the game.  The box score says he scored 20 but I barely noticed.  That's not always a bad thing, but I expected more.

Mobley is weird.  He pretty consistently has an insanely positive impact on games but he doesn't look all that impressive a lot of the time.  He's just an elite defender already and can stay on the court against anyone because of his ability to switch onto wings.

46 minutes ago, briantw said:

Mobley is weird.  He pretty consistently has an insanely positive impact on games but he doesn't look all that impressive a lot of the time.  He's just an elite defender already and can stay on the court against anyone because of his ability to switch onto wings.

In the two games I have seen this season, Mobley has played like a coach's dream on defense in that he gets out on the perimeter and then recovers instantly back to help position consistently any time he is on the court, providing a lot of useful cover inside and outside.  His hip shifts and footwork on defense as he covers drivers is quite good.  He isn't taking any "personal time outs" on defense, and that constant activity makes it that much harder for the opponent.

On offense, he isn't yet a finished product, but he gets the job done as a finisher within the Cav's passing offense.  The Cavs as a whole are passing and moving unselfishly in attack, and the whole squad seems to work well together.  If he continues to improve, watch out.

Lost tonight but fuck do I love Scottie. Plays point guard, guards 1-5.

In regards to Irving, Tony Kornheiser had a good point on PTI today:  When Robert Sarvers shit came out Chris Paul and LeBron jumped right on him.  Yet they are silent on Irving.  Really a bad look.

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In the two games I have seen this season, Mobley has played like a coach's dream on defense in that he gets out on the perimeter and then recovers instantly back to help position consistently any time he is on the court, providing a lot of useful cover inside and outside.  His hip shifts and footwork on defense as he covers drivers is quite good.  He isn't taking any "personal time outs" on defense, and that constant activity makes it that much harder for the opponent.

On offense, he isn't yet a finished product, but he gets the job done as a finisher within the Cav's passing offense.  The Cavs as a whole are passing and moving unselfishly in attack, and the whole squad seems to work well together.  If he continues to improve, watch out.

If he ever puts together a complete offensive game, I think he has MVP potential.  He's already in the DPOY discussion.

Jazz taking it to the Lakers while Westbrook is their best player.

I agreed before that the Lakers can't blow this up and rebuild because they can't trade LeBron or get value back for anyone around him right now, but they kind of need to blow this up and rebuild anyways.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jazz taking it to the Lakers while Westbrook is their best player.

I agreed before that the Lakers can't blow this up and rebuild because they can't trade LeBron or get value back for anyone around him right now, but they kind of need to blow this up and rebuild anyways.

They can’t really blow it up because they don’t have their picks. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Ive heard them referred to as "trap games", where a top team gets too relaxed and the lottery team knocks them off.

And your right, I remember the Cavs losing last year against the Pistons under similar circumstance. Detroit recently did this against the Warriors, but now with Duren out we have no front court/interior defense to muster whatsoever. Our guards are regularly out rebounding our forwards. The tanking cheerleaders are loving it.

Me personally i want to see our full rotation healthy and competing. We can live with the losses, but get back to the youngsters at least making teams work for it. Duren helps with that as I think Burkes shooting would as well.

We need all hands on deck to avoid blowouts.

21 minutes ago, briantw said:

I know, but that's not going to change. They're going to be terrible and it's not going to get better unless some amazing trade falls into their laps. If that doesn't happen, they really need to consider trading AD and sitting LeBron, promising he can go anywhere in the offseason so long as they get a pair of future picks. This roster seems to be fucked as is and they have next to no future assets. Therefore I think it would be wise to get something back instead of doing nothing and praying to get into the play in. 

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Sunk cost fallacy. If you don't think they are going to compete on this roster, there's no point going all in as you'll still be wasting those seasons regardless. Might as well extract whatever value is left from this roster before they depreciate more and get a head start on rebuilding. 

Even if you don't have your own picks, you can get some by sacrificing your cap space and maybe pick up a few players who didn't meet expectations to salvage or upcoming players who can't get minutes ahead of the all stars on their team. Even if they aren't stars, you can probably flip them for more assets. If they really don't pan out, then you can just let their salaries expire. At least they wouldn't be $40m.

Besides, Cleveland got a number one pick from the Clippers. It takes a lot of luck, but a chance is better than no chance.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know, but at the same time, the Titanic is sinking. 

Meh, the Warriors are 3-7 right now.  Let's not overreact too much to 10 games, 8 in the Lakers case.  They could still easily at least compete for a play-in spot.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh, the Warriors are 3-7 right now.  Let's not overreact too much to 10 games, 8 in the Lakers case.  They could still easily at least compete for a play-in spot.

The Warriors also have a much better roster and the good will of being, ya know, reigning champions. The Lakers, otoh, look like shit with a shit future, and  them competing for the play-in with LeBron and AD is a terrible mismanagement of the team at basically every level. 

Archived