MCU: Phases? What Phases???

Rhom

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The deviants weren't the villain though, that was Richard Madden. That was actually something potentially really powerful, but they didn't give us enough time to get to know the group for 1/3 of them "going bad" to really resonate, and it didn't help that Madden was quite taciturn (I don't think he was wooden, I just don't think he was given a lot to work with).

Kinda? In that way it was kind of like Loki and the Frost Giants, but we spent a lot of time futzing around with the deviants and that backstory and all that bullshit. 

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Eternals I think did benefit from not having the goofy humour that's been allowed to dominate recent MCU movies (and badly hurt Love & Thunder) but it lost it in feeling like the first and second movies of a franchise rolled into one. A more conservative first movie and a more nutzoid cosmic second one might have been the way to go.

Also maybe. The problems for me is that this felt completely and utterly detached from all the rest of the Marvel world (including that aforementioned ABSURDLY LARGE CELESTIAL JUST  POPPING OUT OF THE EARTH) and also felt like it had to be stretched to fill things. It was ambitious but also very lonely. I don't know that having two movies which aren't super connected with one shitty villain would have helped much either, though it would have at least been a bit cheaper. 

I guess another way to say it is that Eternals could have literally been in any franchise or no franchise and no one would have cared or known. It could have been branded on Netflix as Jupiter's Children and been equally accurate and fit right in. At least for me I needed something of these characters to be elsewhere - maybe introduced as another avenger first, or have deviants show up as villains elsewhere, or something. 

You know, that Celestial never bothered me … you get a lot of these “how come no one has mentioned X” stuff. I’m happy for these things to happen off camera. Ultimately, if it was on the news you’d be shocked, but then it wouldn’t really change your day to day life.

Either that or, there’s plenty of wiggle room on the timeline for Phase 4. They could fairly easily say that Eternals is the most recent chronologically.

Also, I think the Avengers currently operate out of a dead Celestials head in the comics? So that’d be cool.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Either that or, there’s plenty of wiggle room on the timeline for Phase 4. They could fairly easily say that Eternals is the most recent chronologically.

Which is part of the mess isn’t it?

I think a major part of what made the first three phases so easy to follow and easy to be consistent was there fact that the movies happened essentially in the order they released and lined up with our calendar.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Snap seemed to not be mentioned in Moon Knight or Ms Marvel. Can only assume Kamala’s family either all got snapped or none did.

I've seen a lot of moaning that Far From HomeFalcon & Winter Soldier and WandaVision spent so much time on the Snap and a lot of people saying, "Move on already," so I think this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. Some people will think they haven't spent nearly enough time on it or they spent way too much on it.

Being a teenager, Kamala's focus on heroine worship (who came back/appeared on Earth post-snap) makes sense. She's exploring her own identity through who she admires rather than focus on the five gap. 

But given her close family, I'd assume they were all snapped or none. Unless Kamala was snapped but not her mom, which would add an extra layer of being over protective.

In the end, the snap was not what's important to the story. Story should drive all references, otherwise every show/movie will get bogged down in recap.

Now that celestial corpse in the ocean, that has to be referenced someday as either a mine like Knowhere or a tourist destination (or both). Move over Dubai! There's a new show in town!

On Reddit, there was a discussion about how no one mentions other Marvel events too, like the ooze from GotG2. My No Prize explanation is Damage Control cleans up the mess and effectively MIBs people and the media to forget it. A huge celestial, though? That might be a little too big to sweep under the waves (assuming it's even near a populated landmass? I forget). 

In Wakanda Forever, Namor is king of his civilization, but it's not Atlantis apparently.

Talocan is based on Tlālōcān, one of the underworld realms in the Aztec codices ruled by the rain god Tlāloc. It is a paradise for the souls of those who died of a water or a storm-related death. In the comics, Tláloc is the storm god of the Tēteoh.

Clearly they want to avoid the comparisons to Aquaman.

Ironic though the Aztec word for water is At’l, so an underwater city name At'lantis wouldn't be out of place, but Tlālōcān does sound a really good mythic equivalent.

Directors have been hired:

• Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - Shang Chi director Destin Daniel Cretton (who also worked with Brie Larson on Short Term 12)
  • Blade - Bassam Tariq
  • Captain America: New World Order - Julius Onah
  • Thunderbolts - Jake Schreier

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avengers-the-kang-dynasty-to-be-directed-by-shang-chi-filmmaker-destin-daniel-cretton-exclusive-1235186348/

13 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Snap seemed to not be mentioned in Moon Knight or Ms Marvel. Can only assume Kamala’s family either all got snapped or none did.

There was the ad on the side of the bus in an early Moon Knight episode that referenced the relocation people from Falcon and WS.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

There was the ad on the side of the bus in an early Moon Knight episode that referenced the relocation people from Falcon and WS.

Yup. It was there, but it wasn't needed to drive any story points.

And pretty much all of Ms.  Marvel is about a post Blip era. Her entire worship of Captain Marvel is based on post Blip Carol.  AvengersCon is rife with Endgame references. 

It's simply that Marvel doesn't need to make everything about it anymore (whether they should can be debated). Ultimately, Marvel likely wants people to just forget that their timeline is 5 years ahead of the real world...

In Ms. Marvel they made a lot of deal about the Partition. A significant event for Indians and Pakistani that has affected so many people, even generations later. So I should think the Blip should be something that could have been addressed more.

20 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yup. It was there, but it wasn't needed to drive any story points.

And pretty much all of Ms.  Marvel is about a post Blip era. Her entire worship of Captain Marvel is based on post Blip Carol.  AvengersCon is rife with Endgame references. 

It's simply that Marvel doesn't need to make everything about it anymore (whether they should can be debated). Ultimately, Marvel likely wants people to just forget that their timeline is 5 years ahead of the real world...

Less than five now. I think we’re still late 2024 in MCU (unless Strange 2 takes us into 2025 which is likely).

Spiderman 2 was mid-2024 but a lot of subsequent tv/films was set prior.

Plus covid delays

30 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Less than five now. I think we’re still late 2024 in MCU (unless Strange 2 takes us into 2025 which is likely).

Spiderman 2 was mid-2024 but a lot of subsequent tv/films was set prior.

Plus covid delays

Hmmmmm...guess I didn't think of it that way.  In that, the MCU always seemed to follow along, for the most part, with our own calendar. Thus, I assumed that in Endgame, with the snap and the five year jump, in 23/24...that the timeline would continue to move along in a similar manner..

Basically the MCU timeline can suck it at this point.  My head hurts...

As they've veered farther into cosmic and mystical enemies and heroes, increasingly more Comic Book-ish, as it were, than the first phase or so of 'somewhat' grounded origin stories, it's easier and easier for me to just shrug off any sort of logic. As stated in this thread, there's a colossal humanoid  emerging from the ocean, and behind billions of life forms dusting then re-appearing instantaneously 5 years later, it's a distant second to Most Humanity Impacting Revelation Ever.

Timelines and logic just are going to matter less and less with every new movie. The Fast and Furious and M:I franchises have abandoned any logic and they are superfluously positioning themselves as reality. Marvel movies just don't have to make sense anymore, to me. They never really did.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:28 PM, Corvinus85 said:

In Ms. Marvel they made a lot of deal about the Partition. A significant event for Indians and Pakistani that has affected so many people, even generations later. So I should think the Blip should be something that could have been addressed more.

This is, sorry to be blunt, a completely wild statement. The Partition was huge in terms of Ms Marvel's plot, thematically and culturally important to showing who Kamala is and to her role in representing that culture, and a chance to highlight an important real world historical event that has been swept under the carpet in Western media. Saying 'they focused on the Partition, so they could have focused on the Blip too' is not comparing like with like and it's not fair. Lots of stuff had to be cut from the show already: why does Ms Marvel have to have this implied burden of showing the things that make it unique and also addressing the issues that other series have already covered?

Yeah, I was going to say that the MCU timeline is pushing forwards very slowly, to the point that we don't know exactly how these events are relating to one another. For example, I can imagine Wong recruiting Shang-Chi after the events of Dr. Strange 2, so those two moves happen in the flipped order or simultaneously, and Eternals may have not happened at all yet. And real life is continuing to move forwards, so next year we'll only be a year behind the Unsnappening anyway.

Archived