MCU: Phases? What Phases???

Rhom

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So wait… a guy who liked Love and Thunder doesn’t like She-Hulk???

I don’t even know what to do with that. :dunno: 

Didn’t even watch the vid. I just recall seeing 30 seconds of a vid by this guy saying that Thor film was good. I learned long ago most YouTube reviews are usually full of crap one way or the other. 

Yup, I gave up on She-Hulk already. It's not bad or anything, it just feels like MCU writing on Crack. All the smarmy one liners are dialled up to 11, I kind of hate everyone, it's kinda shouty, it's not funny. I guess it is mildly entertaining and the sort of thing you could have on in the background while you look at your phone but memorable tv it is not. 

The She-Hulk CGI was fine. Some of the background CGI was maybe not the best.

Jen Walters is a fun character. I wish the 1st episode wasn't 90% background expo, though. They should have released the 2nd episode at the same time.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. Shame too, because She Hulk is one of my favorite marvel characters. I remember reading her entire 2000's run, shortly after I finished college. The CGI does look a little weak, which is why I wish they went for more practical effects. Still only one episode, things can improve; I know Wong will show up sooner or later and he's always fun.

If that premiere episode suffered from anything, it wad that there wasn't a second episode right after to keep the fun going.  

Plenty there to build and expand on.  I assume Titania will figure in this again somehow?  Like why.was she even at that court...?  I'm suspecting there might be some more flashbacks?

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If that premiere episode suffered from anything, it wad that there wasn't a second episode right after to keep the fun going.  

Plenty there to build and expand on.  I assume Titania will figure in this again somehow?  Like why.was she even at that court...?  I'm suspecting there might be some more flashbacks?

I was wondering who that was.  The other thing I wasn't sure of was who was on trial?  Didn't look like Blonsky, I assume that's later in the season.  Was it Justin Hammer?  I didnt' get a good look.

I did like the post credits stinger though.  I wasn't expecting that.  I just had them running because I liked the art.

The CG looked better than the previews, even in the same shots, so it looks like they tightened things up. I also guess they couldn't make Mark Ruffalo look bad in his scenes and had to keep up with the level they'd established in the movies.

I think it was solid and reestablished Tatiana Maslany's acting skills (albeit with more like 1.5 roles rather than a dozen as in Orphan Black), but it probably spent too much time on revelling in the Hulk guest shot (I'm guessing he doesn't show up again, but maybe in the finale or maybe on a phone call here and there) rather than letting the show breathe.

It might have even been better to have done the opening, then her beating up Jameela Jamil for no apparent reason and then doing the flashback. And definitely releasing the first two episodes together would have been better so we got a good feel of what the regular episodes are like. There are 9 episodes after all, rather than 6, so they could afford to be more generous.

I do like the reports that the show doesn't have an in-depth arc, apart from Jennifer just trying to make her new life work, with apparently no major villain to fight across the whole show. I've been thinking that more episodic shows need to come back, or even episodic-serialised hybrids (like say Buffy or the 1990s Treks). Every show being a massive big story has gotten so boring when maybe 1% of them having big stories that actually demand that amount of time. I think it probably hurt Ms. Marvel as well, which would have been better as a series of stand-alone episodes with maybe exploring the band as a subplot rather than the whole thing.

That wasn't my favourite debut episode, but it's still pretty great. Maslany is so good and along with the writers, does what Marvel TV has done very well: capture the essence of the character without being too slavishly devoted to the comics. It's a distinct take but one that absolutely fits with the established character.

The CGI wasn't great but honestly, it's good enough for me to go along with it. Doesn't get in my way. That might come of being raised on '80s makeup effects, I suppose. :p

I also think two episodes might have been the better bet, particularly for more casual viewers. I don't know if a casual viewer has anything much there to remind them to tune in next week.

But I'll definitely remember. That was a fun time. :)

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I mean Bruce Banner has been hunted down for much of his life, lost most of what he loved, had suicidal thoughts.. but she has the right to preach to him about controlling her anger because… she gets …cat called. Ok.

The Drinker is going to have a field day with this one. I can already picture it in my mind.

On another topic, I found out, that they changed the production order at the last minute. What we saw was originally suppose to be episode 8, at least all of the flashback sequences were. I imagine, all of the stuff in the present were reshoots, to repurpose this as episode 1.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I mean Bruce Banner has been hunted down for much of his life, lost most of what he loved, had suicidal thoughts.. but she has the right to preach to him about controlling her anger because… she gets …cat called. Ok.

This misses the point and ignores the context of the scene so badly that you’re obviously looking for something to disagree with. Pretty pathetic. 

24 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

This misses the point and ignores the context of the scene so badly that you’re obviously looking for something to disagree with. Pretty pathetic. 

The context being that she's completely terrible, unlikable human being, who can't even properly apologise for saying some nasty bullshit things? Or the context of IMDB applauding her comments with a sort of 'yasss queen' response? 

It will be interesting as the series goes on as to whether she grows as a person (not just in size and colour) but by becoming less snide, self centred and vindictive.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The context being that she's completely terrible, unlikable human being, who can't even properly apologise for saying some nasty bullshit things? Or the context of IMDB applauding her comments with a sort of 'yasss queen' response? 

It will be interesting as the series goes on as to whether she grows as a person (not just in size and colour) but by becoming less snide, self centred and vindictive.

:shocked:

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Given Disney's track record, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think most of us saw how they handled Star Wars, lol

Archived