MCU: Phases? What Phases???

Rhom

28 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

About that, it's pretty clear we're having a Planet Hulk series or movie. Kinda surprised that's the Hulk story they're going since they already adapted some elements in Thor: Ragnarok.

I will say she hulk runs the risk of being a show where the other characters that are involved are more interesting and doing cooler stories than the one we are following. Boba Fett suffered for this - twice! - by having both Mando and Luke Skywalker in the show.

I saw people saying they should have released two episodes for the premier so I waited a week to watch this. I like it so far. Never been a fan of fourth wall breaking though. At least not in a franchise that's supposed to be somewhat dramatic and serious. The idea that she knows she's in a TV show just kinda wrinkles my brain in an extremely nerdy way. 

I think they borked the timeline? At the end of Shang-Chi Bruce is on earth and his arm is still damaged. That had to happen after Wong gave Abomination a day pass to hustle people with their fight. 

Edit: Actually I guess it's unclear how long it took that video to leak. So I guess Emil could have met wong and done that before meeting Jen. There could then still be time I guess for the rest of Shang-Chi to happen. But I thought they spent a couple weeks training towards the end of that movie. 

3 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I will say she hulk runs the risk of being a show where the other characters that are involved are more interesting and doing cooler stories than the one we are following. Boba Fett suffered for this - twice! - by having both Mando and Luke Skywalker in the show.

To be honest, it could be rather fun. Seeing Jen try to live her life, while all of this strange stuff happens around her. It could make for some good straight person comedy.

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I saw people saying they should have released two episodes for the premier so I waited a week to watch this. I like it so far. Never been a fan of fourth wall breaking though. At least not in a franchise that's supposed to be somewhat dramatic and serious. The idea that she knows she's in a TV show just kinda wrinkles my brain in an extremely nerdy way. 

I like to think she does have "the other guy" like Bruce does, so the breaking the 4th wall stuff is just Jen talking to her other personality.

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think they borked the timeline? At the end of Shang-Chi Bruce is on earth and his arm is still damaged. That had to happen after Wong gave Abomination a day pass to hustle people with their fight. 

No reason to assume it was live video, or taken recently.  Must have happen several months ago.

1 minute ago, SpaceChampion said:

I like to think she does have "the other guy" like Bruce does, so the breaking the 4th wall stuff is just Jen talking to her other personality.

No reason to assume it was live video, or taken recently.  Must have happen several months ago.

Heh, I just edited my post when I realized that. 

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The news report says that he escaped from prison and participated in an underground fight club, that suggests it happened pretty recently, that he went to the club straight from escaping. Doesn't make a ton of sense and the timeline feels all over the place, I'm not sure how he would have time to do all that. I guess find out next week. 

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The news report says that he escaped from prison and participated in an underground fight club, that suggests it happened pretty recently, that he went to the club straight from escaping. Doesn't make a ton of sense and the timeline feels all over the place, I'm not sure how he would have time to do all that. I guess find out next week. 

The news report is actually wrong, since we know Wong took him back to jail after the fight.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Wow you trust the news?  i can't even...

Yea I didn’t see anything wonky about the timeline there. Wong has been smuggling him out of prison and back again to take part in these fights, and the footage surfaced now presumably because someone wanted to throw up some roadblocks for his case to get out. 

A few of notes:

- Bruce has a hell of a cell phone plan, since he can call from somewhere in outer space

- Apparently turning into a Hulk also causes Jen's hair to grow

- I guess she had her business suit made from spandex?

- After the episode, I went back and looked at the fight scene in Shang Chi, and after the fight, when Wong opens the portal to take the Abomination back, you can see the prison cell through the portal and it looks just like it does in this episode - so nice continuity there.

- I hadn't seen Tim Roth in a while...he is certainly showing his age. Happens to all of us - which makes is more amazing that Samuel L Jackson doesn't seem to show his age!

59 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

- I guess she had her business suit made from spandex?

Honestly, while it wasn't a great fit after she hulked up, the suit she was wearing seemed a little loose and baggy on her...

My mental picture for Tim Roth (and Gary Oldman) is still from Rosemcrantz and Gilderstern are Dead. Also Rob Roy for Roth. So it's always a shock to see them in their forties, fifties, and now sixties.  

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

My mental picture for Tim Roth (and Gary Oldman) is still from Rosemcrantz and Gilderstern are Dead. Also Rob Roy for Roth. So it's always a shock to see them in their forties, fifties, and now sixties.  

Mine for Tim Roth is probably Pulp Fiction...ironically, with Samuel L Jackson...

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

People age… this sounds like the male version of geeks getting pissed that Carrie Fisher got older.

I liked the second episode far more than the first. Humour hit better for the most part and an appearance by Larry from Perfect Strangers.

I never read the comic but is there an explanation why she gets bigger boobs and her hair straightens?  The latter being much more problematic these days.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:45 PM, sifth said:

The Drinker is going to have a field day with this one. I can already picture it in my mind.

He just did a video on it and it was more constructive than I expected. Sure he thought the scene was cringe and laughed at it, but actually offered a way to have made it work. Basic answer was more show less tell. If you want to depict Jen’s struggles being a female lawyer then show them having consequences for her and making her life miserable . Instead you get creepy white male guy who gets brushed off in every scene like a fly , for the sake of portraying her as a girl boss and to add more laughs. Kind of under cuts her point. 

Even the catcalling scene would have worked better had it happened before she became Hulk and almost rips their heads off for saying hello. They really wasted an opportunity to give her any sympathy throughout. 

He also mentioned something I thought was weird. I initially assumed from the trailer that Jen gets into a horrific car crash and Bruce saves her by giving her some of his blood and then she becomes Hulk. But it seems for the sake of not allowing a male to save her cos.. feminism, Jen had to be the one to save Bruce and then she is the one to inflict it on herself. 
By doing it that way you suddenly remove any tension and drama from the situation, and the whole scenario is little more than a shrug to the characters. Bad writing for the sake of making a girl boss.

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He also mentioned something I thought was weird. I initially assumed from the trailer that Jen gets into a horrific car crash and Bruce saves her by giving her some of his blood and then she becomes Hulk. But it seems for the sake of not allowing a male to save her cos.. feminism, Jen had to be the one to save Bruce and then she is the one to inflict it on herself. 
By doing it that way you suddenly remove any tension and drama from the situation, and the whole scenario is little more than a shrug to the characters. Bad writing for the sake of making a girl boss.

Nah, this is because MCU Bruce wouldn’t willingly give his blood to anyone. Stan Lee cameo-character died (I think?) in Incredible Hulk drinking a drop of it. Bruce had to be unconscious and bleeding for this to work, so it made sense that Jen dragged him out.

6 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Nah, this is because MCU Bruce wouldn’t willingly give his blood to anyone. Stan Lee cameo-character died (I think?) in Incredible Hulk drinking a drop of it. Bruce had to be unconscious and bleeding for this to work, so it made sense that Jen dragged him out.

Did it improve the story though? The story would have at least had some tension and dynamic between her and Bruce, he would have had to feel guilty for what happened but conflicted because he saved her life, and she could be more of a reluctant superhero, having it forced upon her.

Right now their dynamic is that he tries to teach her stuff, but she’s already awesome so doesn’t need it. And he’s just kind of hanging around with no emotional stakes. She doesn’t want to be a superhero because her life is already awesome and she’s an awesome lawyer, but she can also just brush it off like everything else.

I’m not sure what this professor hulk character is consistent with, but I would have accepted some slight inconsistencies for the sake of adding some dramatic stakes, yes important even in a comedy. Instead everything is so inconsequential and easy and means absolutely nothing 

Archived