Football. Sweden then (probably) France, a Waterloo double?

BigFatCoward

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

60 million for Cucurella? That is the most money for a nobody I've ever heard. Absolutely mental. 

I still find the economics of the sport in Europe to be baffling. The revenue of each league is smaller than the big three here in the US yet teams’ payrolls often far exceed what’s paid out here. For example, the highest payroll in Europe is Barcelona at almost half a billion dollars while here in the US it’s the LA Dodgers at just over a quarter billion and baseball is the only uncapped sport. The NFL is by far the biggest revenue generator of any league and their payrolls are capped at $208m.  

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still find the economics of the sport in Europe to be baffling. The revenue of each league is smaller than the big three here in the US yet teams’ payrolls often far exceed what’s paid out here. For example, the highest payroll in Europe is Barcelona at almost half a billion dollars while here in the US it’s the LA Dodgers at just over a quarter billion and baseball is the only uncapped sport. The NFL is by far the biggest revenue generator of any league and their payrolls are capped at $208m.  

If that number is correct for Barcelona, I'd say it's a total of all remaining wages that need to be paid under current contracts which cover several more years, some even longer. If it's per season, then it's obvious that Barcelona will be run into the ground very soon.

Also, I'm not sure it's true that numbers in Europe are insane compared to Northern American professional leagues. I mean, pretty much every single NBA team has at least one player on 30+ million per year, while quite a few have at least one player at 40-50 million per year. There's only a handful of players in European football (in any other sport athletes make significantly less) that make anywhere near that, and those are currently being exposed as not worth it.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

60 million for Cucurella? That is the most money for a nobody I've ever heard. Absolutely mental. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I have heard of him but I didn’t watch enough of Brighton last year to have a firm opinion on how good he is. Still, bit of a strange signing for Chelsea considering they’ve already got a £50 million left back in Chilwell and City, who probably do need a left back, thought £50 million was too steep for Cucurella.

Seems like a big fee for the player and for a position where Chilwell is expected to return.  But I think there was some speculation that Cucurella could play LCB in a back three instead of LWB — although, Koulibaly has previously mostly played as a LCB.

If Chelsea overpaying for a player they may not need takes him out of City’s grasp, then I’ll consider that a net gain for football.

Chelsea overpaid but Cucurella is a good player who is also versatile and can operate as a LB in  a back 4 or a LWB/LCB in a back 5. They will bring in some money and get wages off the books by offloading Emerson and Alonso. Colwill heading to Brighton on loan rather than a permanent deal is good for Chelsea too – he's highly rated at Cobham and can get some PL experience under his belt at a solid team with a good manager.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Difference is competition: if you're an American football player, you'll either play in the NFL or nowhere.  If you're a football one, you can play anywhere in the world, with many clubs bankrolled by petro-states or oligarchs, and competing with each other for the biggest stars.

Archived